Black Wildebeest vs. Blue Wildebeest

seattlesetters

AH veteran
Reaction score
You win a 5-day trophy hunt, all expenses paid including travel, to hunt three animals in Africa. One is Impala (because this is my thread and I think Impala are beautiful), one is plains Zebra and the other is Wildebeest. You are not allowed to take anything else.

The only kicker is, the concession you'll be hunting on has both Black and Blue Wildebeest, and the outfitter doesn't care which you take, as long as it is only one.

What is your preference and why? Please try not to use what you already have and don't have in the trophy room to influence your answer. Let's assume you have neither and you won't be going back to Africa.

Since beginning my research, I am really starting to appreciate Wildebeest more than I did before. I thought this exercise might give me better perspective on the possibility of me taking one or the other (or neither) on my trip.

Thanks!!

If you're going to constrain me like that, I'll say take the first mature trophy that presents itself to you. Without such constraints I'd say take enough money to cover the trophy fee for an extra animal and take both. Quite certain the outfitter will be quite pleased to grant your request.

Very diffrent critters to hunt for sure. Blues are great and definitely worthy of the nickname “poor mans buffalo”. Blacks on the other hand are a wild crazy critter. Personally, I like hunting the black wildebeest just because of the challenge hunting them on the open plains. But that said, if I could only hunt one and a stud blue presented itself I wouldn’t hesitate.

You win a 5-day trophy hunt, all expenses paid including travel, to hunt three animals in Africa. One is Impala (because this is my thread and I think Impala are beautiful), one is plains Zebra and the other is Wildebeest. You are not allowed to take anything else.

The only kicker is, the concession you'll be hunting on has both Black and Blue Wildebeest, and the outfitter doesn't care which you take, as long as it is only one.

What is your preference and why? Please try not to use what you already have and don't have in the trophy room to influence your answer. Let's assume you have neither and you won't be going back to Africa.

Since beginning my research, I am really starting to appreciate Wildebeest more than I did before. I thought this exercise might give me better perspective on the possibility of me taking one or the other (or neither) on my trip.

Thanks!!

I think the blue is the nicer looking one but I guess it’s the overall build etc.

Not sure I can help much, but here’s my experience with the two.
Before actually seeing either of them in person I really wanted a nice old brindled blue wildebeest. Black Wildebeest didn’t really turn my crank. I was fortunate to take a very nice old trophy bull and another cull blue wildebeest.
But after having seen black wildebeest and their crazy antics, I have a new appreciation for them. My first experience was a small herd tearing around in the open flats. The old bull in the herd got up a full head of steam and t-boned a young bull, knocking him flat as a pancake then ran off mule kicking and jumping like he was celebrating a mighty victory.
Blue’s in the thorn scrub or Black’s in the open grass lands, either one should be a fun hunt with wonderful trophy. And they both make a great rug with a euro mount if that’s of interest...
Either way, I think you will be very happy :) Maybe let your PH know you are undecided and would like a look at both if possible before you decide.

Forgive me, but I don’t believe I made myself clear in the OP. This is strictly hypothetical and I’m really just trying to find out which of the two those with experience like better. :-)

I’m thinking of adding a Wildebeest to my list for a first safari and don’t really know which is preferred.

Euro mount more than likely.

Last edited:
Hi Seatlesetter, I had the same dillema!
I said to my PH that we shall hunt the one which first presents himself, depending the opportunity.
(And then, we shall hunt the other one, on my next hunt...)
So, I got the black wildebeest.

The moment I stepped the foot on Namibian soil, before I hunted the first game, I simply knew I am coming back... so which ever comes first, makes no difference!

BTW, black wildebeest I think is less distributed, and somewhat more rear then the blue, if that fact is more appealing to you. However, if you take one on this hunt, and another on next hunt, there is nothing wrong in that plan. Its 100% proof!

11 wildebeest herd.JPG
wildebeest 00.JPG
Good hunting!

Mark , yes blues are much more plentiful than blacks. At one stage in RSA there was only I think 16 blacks left in KZN. All blacks that is found on ranches or farms are of those stock. Blacks are also not endemic to Namibië but was only found in RSA like the Bontebok. They are typical High veld plains game.
Blues on the other hand is found throughout Southern Africa. Much more common.
If you want an aggressive territorial animal that guards territory with fierce aggression you hand raise a black bull and then put it in an enclosed area like a camp with sheep. Any person entering will be attacked. There has been numerous people killed because of the mentioned situation.

Real territory for blacks open plains. Blues on the other hand Savanna and dense bush.

@spekieries ,
Not only Blacks. Saw a Blue Wildebeest bull that was raised as a hans, and kept in a small enclosure. The aggression from that bull was unbelieveable. He certainly wanted a piece of anyone that walked too close to the enclosure, and made sure that he let you know that as well.

Tough call, both cool animals. I'd say first real good mature bull that presents itself, take it!

Another consideration is, if you want a cool rug and euro mount, go with blue. Black makes cool shoulder or euro mount also.

Blue - the brindled gnu is one of the continent's truly quintessential animals. As a shoulder mount or rug (every bit as lovely and exotic as a zebra), the blue says Africa. The black says the RSA.

I would say the blue as I feel they are much tougher and live in the style of bush I would rather hunt. Trick is to hunt a good one as there is plenty around on most places. It is one animals were numbers are high on most ranches so passing on some maybe needed to hunt a true trophy class bull.

I think they make a nicer rug and skull mount also.

Your doing the right thing by trying to figure out which one now as you might not be able to hunt them both in the same general area. Sometimes depending on outfitter you may need to plan ahead to hunt for a black.

If you're going to constrain me like that, I'll say take the first mature trophy that presents itself to you. Without such constraints I'd say take enough money to cover the trophy fee for an extra animal and take both. Quite certain the outfitter will be quite pleased to grant your request.
good advice. hunt the most mature one you can find. if they are in different areas then its a coin flip in my opinion. both are stunning animals

My first African animal was actually a blue wildebeest and I was thrilled with taking that trophy. However, nothing prepared me for the challenge of hunting the fast moving black wildebeest. He made an excellent trophy to go along with my blue and the red heartebeest taken the same day! So take what the Bush gives you.

BCCD5264-2075-4010-AA0E-E97E720F383F.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Charlie Austin. your trophies look great on the wall!
My log term plan is to collect blue in some of the future hunts and have a shoulder mount of each one side by side!

Blue

(1) better looking
(2) not TOPS and Black is

Charlie Austin. your trophies look great on the wall!
My log term plan is to collect blue in some of the future hunts and have a shoulder mount of each one side by side!

Thank you sir! Like someone mentioned once you hunt Africa you start planning the next hunt on the plane ride home. I did the “Beest Slam” over two hunts. Frankly I wouldn’t mind adding a gold to the group.

when you added that it would likely be a euro mount - that made it easy, just the amount of mass in the boss, the overall amount of horn compared to the skull size and just the sheer character of the Black Wildebeest makes it a much more attractive and striking skull mount - a top end Black is one of Africa's most under rated trophies in my opinion

My choice is a blue with a euro mount and rug. They are easily one of the best looking rugs of all the skins. Or if you have a big bare wall space, a stretched skin similar to the way a beaver skin is mounted.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trjehtjjggdfh

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?