channelkat

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Mozambique
Anyone had any birds done in Africa? Mind sharing pictures and thoughts on your mounts? I have a few birds at Life-form (Helmeted, Crested guinea fowl and francolin, shipped from MOZ to Life-form), heard birds often do not make the journey to taxidermist in great condition. Should I get my hopes up that these will turn out well? I need to give Life-Form mounting instructions here soon, and just wondering what to expect.

I haven't seen this taxidermist work but in general foam what I have seen upland game mounted there looks better then waterfowl done in Africa. The biggest reasons I think birds look rough there is them using the real skills and bills instead of plastic ones make from molds, feet not injected correctly so they shrink to small, bodies wrapped instead of using foam bodies that are closer to being the right shape. I will say it seems the birds are getting better then what they were when I looked for bird people in 2016.

Hi @channelkat I asked the same question in the thread I started recently Limpopo bird hunting

There are few good suggestions. There is a good one apparently in the Western Cape. I also am considering life form. Their big game mounts look good. The birds look decently but not yet sold on them. Saw only a few examples. Really inerested how yours will work out. When are you expecting them?

I am considering AVR taxidermy near Johannesburg for the birds but will ask them for more clearer pictures from their birds

Last edited:
Really inerested how yours will work out. When are you expecting them?

I am considering AVR taxidermy near Johannesburg for the birds but will ask them for more clearer pictures from their birds
Well, they just made it from Moz (Harvested SEP 23) to Life-form. I think they said another 6-9 months to get my leather back and complete the birds. We shall see. If I knew the birds would be in good condition, I would happily pay double the price, but as I understand it stands, I may just ask them to do one of each species and send the rest back for flies or some other art... Maybe best to have them in flying pose (on the wall better, rather than a shelf you could more easily inspect)?

Lately I’ve gone almost exclusively to standing mounts to save space, my father built me a bunch of these stands that screw into the wall studs. They work really well for me.
Some are 6”, 8” and a few 10” wide and some have one brace and some two.

Attachments

• D0DFCFB8-156A-4E97-AE4B-05C15417905F.jpeg
    D0DFCFB8-156A-4E97-AE4B-05C15417905F.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 22
Maybe best to have them in flying pose (on the wall better, rather than a shelf you could more easily inspect)?
I have an Egyptian Goose in flying position. A local guy that since has passed did that one for me. Not so great if you ask my but it was his last project as he was very sick so no complaints from me. Admired the guy of working till the bitter end.

My space is limited so thinking most standing mounts. Those that @Hunt anything just posted look awesome.

A mix of both is preferable. Some species are better in flying position like the Egyptian geese I think.

Would love to see the work when completed. Hope all works out for you.

@DieJager , I agree that some birds need to be mounted flying, you mentioned Egyptian geese as a good example, the blue winged ducks like blue winged teal, cinnamon teal and northern shovelers here in the states come to mind along with both American and Eurasian widgeon with their spectacular white wing patches.
A good mix is definitely preferable. IMO

I had 3 waterfowl mounted in Africa, 3 of my worst mounts as far as beat up by the time they came to me but then again that’s a long way to ship without feathers getting ruffled, my red knobbed coot I couldn’t get exported so I had a decoy hand carved of it, I still would rather have my beat up Africa birds than nothing
My spur wigged goose is massive pictures don’t do it justice it’s a head turner

IMG_6262.jpeg
IMG_6261.jpeg
IMG_6258.jpeg
IMG_6260.jpeg

The red knobbed coot is on my shortlist. Nice looking birds.

I had 3 waterfowl mounted in Africa, 3 of my worst mounts as far as beat up by the time they came to me but then again that’s a long way to ship without feathers getting ruffled, my red knobbed coot I couldn’t get exported so I had a decoy hand carved of it, I still would rather have my beat up Africa birds than nothing
My spur wigged goose is massive pictures don’t do it justice it’s a head turner
Very cool! Can I ask where you hunted and had the work done?

Are the coots on CITES 1 ? Why are they not exportable?
Are they as goofy as our stateside coots?

Lately I’ve gone almost exclusively to standing mounts to save space, my father built me a bunch of these stands that screw into the wall studs. They work really well for me.
Some are 6”, 8” and a few 10” wide and some have one brace and some two.
I don't know why, I didn't think of mounting them that way. May have to copy that idea. I had just intended on putting them on a bookshelf.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lefty Outdoor

Latest profile posts

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!