Biltong in central Texas! yes... real biltong

Zinz

AH member
Reaction score
Media
After hearing about it from a friend, I stopped in to Brett's Biltong in Llano. What a slice of safari heaven... Windhoek Lager by the case and real, honest to goodness biltong in several varieties; traditional, chili, and Carolina Reaper HOT. They have droewors, meat pies, annnnnnd... homemade rusks. They sell all sorts of imported goodies from RSA and 3-legged cook pots and on, and on...

I realized very quickly afterwards that I didn't buy enough because it didn't last long.

If you're in the central Texas region, it is definitely worth the trip to visit them.
82743354-F9B9-4A79-97EB-18A160EE581C.jpeg

2AA85D02-06FC-4D0A-BDCB-D9B0F2D52C7E.jpeg

3C93AECC-7E28-4C44-AD15-E2EAA4575F43.jpeg

Ed Z

Now I’m craving rusk and red tea for breakfast.

Right???

mmmm...Roibos
Wife and I fell in love with it on our first safari and Roibos has been a staple in our house ever since.

Tried several times to make rusk but it never came out quite right. Might have to give it another shot.

If youre in NTX/DFW Anton's has some of the best biltong and droewors Ive ever eaten... Theyre a full blown South African grocery and meat market.. a little on the pricey side.. but absolutely delicious.. they also have a variety of rusk products..

For any of the guys (and gals) that came to the @Bos en Dal SAFARIS party we had during DSC back in January, the biltong that was being passed around at the party was from Antons..

Tried several times to make rusk but it never came out quite right. Might have to give it another shot.

A friend of mine from RSA gave me his old family recipe and it was just about perfection. I watched a couple of YouTube videos on the technique to get them just shy of rock hard and deliciousness.

Anton's... I will have to make a trip up there.. I hear there are several African markets in the southwest part of Houston.

Ed Z

Amazon is a good source for your African cravings. Several good biltong options. Ouma rusks are easy to find. I've been craving and buying African condiments lately including several varieties of Nando's sauces. I found the braai salt in the orange bottle. There are plenty of good options for rooibos.

Wish I saw this a week ago when I was driving through Llano. Guess I’ll be stopping on my next trip through there.

A friend brought me several bags of Brett's Biltong. It was exceptional. Highly recommended.

I’ve made Biltong at home in a cabinet with an exhaust fan. Tasted more like Beef than plains game but I think the spice blend was good.
Will do again with Australian Venison.
Rusks, well I ate plenty of those in South Africa. The PH was telling me they are for dunking, I’ve dunked a ton of biscuits in my time.
My wife has made Rusks, not as good as the ones the cook made on Safari.
Since coming home I have found a few Soth African grocery lines. My favourite is Mrs Balls Original Chutney. I like it on eggs when we have a cooked breakfast.

I guess I’ll have to stop on my next trip to visit the in-laws!

Like many I fell in love with biltong and rusks. I figured out a rusk recipe that works well enough (though not as good as in camp). I think I’ll try to use some bison and make biltong this year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dritsokwi7

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

matt2H wrote on matt vejar's profile.
Hey there Matt - i would love to understand some more about your bringing trophies home from South Africa in your checked luggage. My PH is holding onto a bushbuck euro and flatskin for me - and i am due back in South Africa in just over a week. He does have the export permit provided by the taxidermist for me. When you have a moment - could we go through the EDC Form and App? Looking forward to hearing from you.
Smo1127 wrote on duckfish's profile.
Neen doing Zelle or Venmo with other members, let me know if good for you and Ill give you my info. Im semding other orders out tomorrow so if paid today ill ship tomorrow
cwpayton wrote on Trogon's profile.
Hey trogon thanks for the shipping trophys info, so this being my first time shipping ,did you hire a firm here in the states to handle the import or was that an African firm, I would be happy with a cost around 3000+.
JG26Irish_2 wrote on 9412765's profile.
RE: Interarms Whitworth 375HH f/sale f/$850. If still available, I will buy it. I am in KY can do a face to face deal. My e-mail is:

kent.warco.llc@gmail.com or PM me here. Cell is: 606-923-3162

Your 5 hrs f/me. You travel to OH w/work. If you can be at Cincinnati, OH that 1/2 way. I can travel most days but Friday afternoons are best. Let's set up a date/time/location to meet up.
thriller wrote on Sue Tidwell's profile.
Just finished your book (audio) and ordered a hardback for my Library. You did a wonderful job explaining the way conservation works in Africa, and my wife is interested in reading your book now. Thank you for your work.