Big Bores on Bear

Yes...Bighorn Armory. Thanks...I was very pleased with the bear and had focused on him all week. Took him at very last light on the next to last day. Never give up!

IMG_7302.jpeg

For sure, I dream of hunting a Kodiak bear someday with a .505 Gibbs.

Now, onto your question: A 570Gr Hornady DGX (Dangerous Game eXpanding) Bonded soft point would be absolutely flawless for bear hunting.

On a related subject, American bear country (esp. Alaska) isn't really suited for the good health of a double rifle. We have difficult enough times keeping our bolt action rifles functioning properly in those extreme weather conditions, as it is.

With have just a handful of Woodleigh RN/SP, researching projectiles mentioned, having a better understanding of basic theory, etc. Incredible photo's & reports.

Information is invaluable, my extended thanks.

One of my favourite caliber for brown bear is 9.3x62. Less recoil, gun don’t jump and second shot is coming very fast if necessary. Now I’m using Norma Vulkan ( I think 230 grains) I didn’t lost any bear. Solid bullets, magnum caliber, etc are unnecessary things up to 200 yards.

When I shot my black bear I used .500 MDM using a cutting edge tipped raptor 335 grains at 2,900 fps. Worked real well as you can see in the video below:

That 500 MDM is a serious machine.

I just shot a 6 foot grizzly (not huge but not tiny) with a 308 and a 168 gr ELDM. With the big bores being discussed any decently built soft point should work. I think if anything you might go too tough if you aren't careful.

All this talk about bears, I had to request it for supper tonight. We had teriyaki bear steaks, along with a fried rice/ veggie medley. Michelin star worthy if you ask me. I shoulda took a picture, but its too late now.

Bear meat is an interesting subject. Some of it is great and some of it literally isn’t suitable for dog food.

I regularly eat bear meat. My favorite is kebabs after they’ve been marinated in “allegro game tamer” or teriyaki. I also eat it as burgers when mixed 50/50 with beef. I just finished making 12 pints of bear grease last weekend to use for sautéing and pan frying.

I have killed two bears with a cross bow. Each ran less than 35 yards. I have shot one, a 258# boar, with a 375 Ruger and 270gr hammer bullet at 2830fps. It hit him slightly quartering-to and left a massive blood trail over about 50-60yds. All of our bears are mountain/corn field bears so they are delicious.

w/o Looking or hunting them. It's still strange (to me) to see some big mother's run across the highway, etc. I thought a Moose was a Horse in the road one night .. takes my brain a min to comprehend ;)

1718758964775.png

If we are talking black bears - they are not cape buffalo. I believe God transplanted the 9.3x62 and 9.3x74R to North America with them in mind. They have the range for spot and stalk (the only way they really should be hunted ;)), and the umph for one over bait at last light.

My best one after spotting him across a river, crossing, and then stalking him as close as possible. The rifle is a Sako Arctos in 9.3x62.

Bear Hunt Chilcotin Mountains

If we are talking black bears - they are not cape buffalo. I believe God transplanted the 9.3x62 and 9.3x74R to North America with them in mind. They have the range for spot and stalk (the only way they really should be hunted ;)), and the umph for one over bait at last light.

My best one after spotting him across a river, crossing, and then stalking him as close as possible. The rifle is a Sako Arctos in 9.3x62.

Bear Hunt Chilcotin Mountains

That’s a very good bear Joe!

Nice Dog! And the bear is nice too.

But tell us about your 500/465 double.
Is that a Holland and Holland 500/465 hand detachable sidelock?
I remember that picture & "The Royal" ;)

The invite for Black Bear has been the only (field experience) with a Big Bore. A measure of control, proficiency, instinct. It was a clean kill "not much goes to waste with these guys"

I simply, almost brought solids?
1718772618231.png

This individual's dog was later attacked & put down.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HiltonLimo

Latest profile posts

John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's
ghay wrote on professor's profile.
Hello,
Would you consider selling just the Barnes 235's and 250g TTSX's?
Hunt27 wrote on Tra3's profile.
Spain, i booked through a consultant, i book almost everything through him now and he's done me right. his contact 724 986 7206 if interested and he will have more info to share,
I hunted elephant with Luke Samaris in 2005. It was my fourth safari and I tell you he is a fine gentleman the best. I got the opportunity to meet Patty Curtis, although never hunted with him but enjoyed our conversation around our tent in the Selous. Very sad for a tough guy to leave this world the way he did. Let’s pray the murderers are caught. I hope to see Luke in Nashville.