Big bore recoil

Pictures of an upright bench I saved
E3615864-9ED8-4C9F-9406-0383D187C935.jpeg

47C78874-0FF8-4EBB-97F6-050D1F63FF11.jpeg

I'm a firm believer, and if you are used to shooting a 243, and you go and shoot a 30-06, you will notice the difference in recoil. The same applies to you shooting your 300, and stepping up to a bigger rifle. I stepped up from shooting 270, 7mm & 300 Weatherby Magnum rifles to a 375 H&H. The first couple of shots shocked me, but eventually learned the rifle and was able to tolerate and manage the recoil. I shot strictly from the sticks, and I believe I used the bench maybe 5 times. I'm now stepping up to a 416 Rem Mag. :) Oh, and I'm only 5'5" and weight roughly 160 lbs. :LOL::LOL:

And you look so much taller in your photos.... :A Banana: :E Rofl:

Before you buy a big bore shoot with more big bore rifles from someone else.

Then ask yourself do you still need a big bore .40 and above caliber?
It's nice to have one and a lot of fun but I have also seen that some people struggle to enjoy their big bores.

Spending a bunch of money on one just to sell it 40 shots later is not a good financial decision and I see it often enough on our second hand market. Guys buy a big bore hunt that one buffalo in their life and then sell the rifle after 20 odd shot.

Big bores are not fun from the bench I only do it when I have to when sighting in. My 375 H&H with 300gr bullets from the bench is very mild compared to my Lott pushing 500gr at 2300fps.

You learn to roll with the recoil and by all means don't fight the recoil you will not win.
Hold the rifle tight especially the fore-end and let it push you back.

From a bench its impposible to do it and it is nasty after 5 shots or so.

Try 16...dropped my 458 lott and the lyman peep sight bent down on the arm slightly...I didn't want to try bending it back as worried it would break...also height was actually better....but to re zero I had to take into consideration that moving it horizontally would also make it go either up or down...so had to also adjust the vertical as well if moving left or right...made it interesting......First couple of shots didn't have a clue where it was going, so moved close to target then when roughly had it sorted moved back...my "benchrest" was the passenger seat in an old cruiser we have that the roof comes off...so hunched over the dashboard with cushions to rest on....and was quite hunched over....was so pissed off with myself for dropping it I wouldn't give up till it was perfectly in the centre of the bull....only thing I had to help was a pair of socks I put inside my shirt to give a slight cushion....I can tell you that wasn't any fun whatsoever...

I fully agree with you.

Before making such a buy, one have to feel absolutely comfortable with rifles caliber 9,3mm or .375, and as written above, to shoot before a Big Bore, imho if possible caliber 45 because there is a clear difference between weapons caliber 40 and weapons caliber 45. Anyone who has in mind a rifle caliber 50 or above must perfectly master a rifle caliber 45.

Shooting from an bench, regardless of the caliber, cannot be avoided if you want to zeroing your rifle with or without a scope. It's not fun at Big Bores.

If it is worth buying such a weapon is difficult to answer. The fun of owning something like that often plays a major role. Either way, if you are not a professional and use this rifles only for what they are intended, these will always be used relatively rarely and the number of game shot with will be very limited. One can certainly use such weapons for other game species, but in my opinion there are much better cartridges for it as the Big Bores.
First time I shot a 40 I was getting in some stick practice with my H&H prior to a hunt. The fellow a couple of slots down was working with a double, which was and still is a rare bird in these parts.

We got to talking and he graciously offered to let me shoot his 450/400 3" from the sticks, and wisely only loaded the right barrel. On firing it my first thought was AWESOME!!! I was hooked immediately.

It wasn't long after that when Ruger & Hornady came out with the #1 and I was one of the first in line laying my money down.

I am going to be investigating an upright bench ala the British
Then I got to thinking about WDM Bell and shooting from atop a ladder. This setup just makes it easy to go to a local public range, set the 24 inch (61 cm) 2 step ladder on top of the shooting bench 32 inches high (81 cm) and get within an inch or two of my ideal height of 58 inches ( 147 cm) for upright offhand shooting.

IMG-0881 Shooting ladder.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Then I got to thinking about WDM Bell and shooting from atop a ladder. This setup just makes it easy to go to a local public range, set the 24 inch (61 cm) 2 step ladder on top of the shooting bench 32 inches high (81 cm) and get within an inch or two of my ideal height of 58 inches ( 147 cm) for upright offhand shooting.
That is quite neat.

I now use 5 legged shooting sticks for my big bore load development. Similar to 4Stablesticks, but with a 5th leg up front.
Local brand is 4DeadHold.co.za

The results are astonishing and the recoil much milder!

404 Jeffery at 100m with a Leupold VX3 1.5-5X20 Heavy Duplex (3 shots)

20230311_120603.jpg

450 Rigby at 50m with Aimpoint Micro. Also 3 shots

20210307_200022.jpg

I now use 5 legged shooting sticks for my big bore load development. Similar to 4Stablesticks, but with a 5th leg up front.

View attachment 527702

View attachment 527703
Please can you post a pic of the sticks DWB?

I
Stop being a boring bugger....am going to have to have a word with Jaco about you... :E Nono: :E Rofl:
I’ve been accused of many things before, but a boring bugger has never been one of them…

View attachment 527702

View attachment 527703
After getting use to those stick tehy sure work great.
I have to add one more leg to my 4 leg shooting sticks to do the same.
I used Deon's sticks they are great for the range but awkard in the field hunting.
I will stick to 3 or 4 legs while hunting.

We are
Oh noes don't tell Jaco! How are you and Jaco doing?
We are doing very well thank you! I’m starting another hunt tomorrow morning, and I can’t wait! I don’t want to hog the original post so I hope that you are doing well too!

Kind regards
Aj Fourie

View attachment 527702

View attachment 527703
That's fine bragging with that 450 Rigby Mr Deon Brits.

There are 20 gauge loads out there that will give a concussion in only a few shots. The speed of the recoil delivery is where it matters. As a kid I could shoot a 7# .30-06 at 70 pounds with 180 grain bullets. I was struggling with a 5# 20 gauge firing high brass shells. I wanted to be anywhere else beside the clays range. Switched to a heavier gun...et voila! Changed the speed of the impulse enough to where I wasn't getting obliterated every shot.
Have to agree with you there. I got chucked in the deep end as a kid. Single shot tight choke 12g 5 40grm loads sometimes 4s. Got kicked all over the place. Went back home for duck shooting last year and saw that my brother in law was dishing out the same punishment to his kids. Said here try these. Some 7s 21grm same gun as I learned to shoot. Brilliant kids happy. Was told by my brother I was going soft. But hey anyone can be uncomfortable it takes smarts to be comfortable and enjoy what you’re doing.

Have to agree with you there. I got chucked in the deep end as a kid. Single shot tight choke 12g 5 40grm loads sometimes 4s. Got kicked all over the place. Went back home for duck shooting last year and saw that my brother in law was dishing out the same punishment to his kids. Said here try these. Some 7s 21grm same gun as I learned to shoot. Brilliant kids happy. Was told by my brother I was going soft. But hey anyone can be uncomfortable it takes smarts to be comfortable and enjoy what you’re doing.
I got pulled aside in school after the first weekend of dove season one year. Asked if everything was alright and if I had anything I'd like to talk about. I was oblivious to what was going on until the teacher mentioned the bruising on my jaw line and arm. I laughed so hard as it hit me what was going on. I told her it's dove season and we're going again next weekend. It got worse before it got better. I remember switching off that 870 for an 1100 and thinking my world had been completed in a marvelous fashion. I can only imagine how much of a pain that'd be nowadays.

Recoil is weird. ..
I hadn't slept in a while one particular outing. I was kneeling with a 458 Lott, rolled back and landed, stretching out my thumb ..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
slotwebtrong

Latest profile posts

T/C wrote on Dewald's profile.
Hi Dewald,
I am looking for a copy of Wright's "Shooting the British Double Rifle" (3E).
Please PM me (T/C) if you still have one.
Thank you very much in advance!!!
I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg