Big Bore Addiction Group

my rifle will not have the case hardening, I decided that spending extra on this feature wasn't worth its lack of durability.

-matt
Maybe a dumb question but by durability are you referring to strength of the metal or it's diminishing appearance over time,

@spike.t That 375 double by heym is in the those pics you had from j roberts's

yup i saw that when i went back and had a look just in case....but now forget about one of those pissy little .375 things in a double and man up!!!!! :A Tease:...just back in lusaka from takeri so been in the pub since 12... :D Beers::D Beer Bottle::E Big Grin:

ps if you want to shoot my .470 will sort it with paul....bit of a jaunt to south of london ....but up to you :)

Last edited:
yup i saw that when i went back and had a look just in case....but now forget about one of those pissy little .375 things in a double and man up!!!!! :A Tease:...just back in lusaka from takeri so been in the pub since 12... :D Beers::D Beer Bottle::E Big Grin:

ps if you want to shoot my .470 will sort it with paul....bit of a jaunt to south of london ....but up to you :)
I didnt know you had one for sale!! If its the J Lang its a fair bit out of my budget

Maybe a dumb question but by durability are you referring to strength of the metal or it's diminishing appearance over time,

the finish durability is what im talking about. you need to carefully maintain color case hardening otherwise it can fade quickly. it adds an extra $900 to the rifle cost but actually makes the rifle slightly less durable.

also, i like engraving more then color case and color case tends to make engraving tough to see unless your looking very close.

-matt

the finish durability is what im talking about. you need to carefully maintain color case hardening otherwise it can fade quickly. it adds an extra $900 to the rifle cost but actually makes the rifle slightly less durable.

also, i like engraving more then color case and color case tends to make engraving tough to see unless your looking very close.

-matt
Thanks for the clarification Matt, I learn something new every day

Last edited by a moderator:
I didnt know you had one for sale!! If its the J Lang its a fair bit out of my budget

yeah but you only live once if your madam allows it.....;)........and after talking to faizel here i can do terms....:D...and as i said will sort if you want to just try... sure can see if paul has maybe other cals to try.....

for me one of the attractions to older doubles is how the case color has worn, the patina left behind is more interesting than silver.

since its been a while since ive added much to this thread, I figured id announce that all is finished with my Heym order and its just a matter of time before I get my hands on one of the new Heym model 89 double rifles chambered in 500 NE. Now if you know any thing about me then you know my experience with doubles has been pretty jaded with rifle after rifle having serious issues and one rifle even becoming one of the worlds most expensive paperweights. Against my better judgement I'm trying one last time with a rifle made specifically for me by a reputable company.

My decision on Heym took a while as did my decision to go with the 500 NE 3" over a 577 NE 3" or a 600 NE. Verney Carron nearly had me in the bag last year with either a 500 or a 577 but my friends and family talked me into waiting. Admittedly I still greatly admire Verney Carron's work and strongly recommend any one looking for a double to talk with them. The VC double in 600 NE I handled at the DSC show was one of the most perfectly balanced rifles ive ever seen and felt MUCH lighter then it actually was (cant even remember the weight). Heym ended up winning me over with a combination of their reputation and their new model 89 rifle.

why the 500 NE? I decided that my 505 Gibbs was the perfect balance of power and weight. when I started looking at the 577 and the 600 the real painful thing I saw wasn't the recoil, it was the weight. many 577 guns weighted around 13 pounds and the 600's weighed closer to 16 pounds. Keeping in mind that hunting large game was done more with your feet then it was with your rifle, I opted for something lighter. Heym agreed to make me a 500 NE rifle weighing in at 11 pounds which would be the same as my 505 Gibbs. now I am losing some power moving from the 505 Gibbs to the 500 NE but I'm comfortable with the 500's long track record of success on dangerous game and feel it will still have enough recoil to keep me interested.

-matt

Matt, you've made the perfect decision, no doubt. Your dream (borne of much struggle) will soon be realized! :)

-matt

This each their own, I say. In some cases the rifle (the engraving, in particular) positively SCREAMS for a coin finish, whereas in other cases leaving the colors intact seems more appropriate. In the past (the long past...early 1900's and before) leaving the color of the hardening process in place was the default. Today, its more the opposite (my experience).

By the way, the general standard of engraving (and the client's expectations regarding) has risen over time. This may be why a coin finish has become more common (to better view the engraving, as Matt mentions).

Four shots into two inches or less, at 50 meters? Pretty good!

Ever since I read an article by Craig Boddington (nearly 30 years ago) wherein he was hunting Africa with a Heym 88B, I've wanted the same. Some day (maybe, just maybe, some day).

Matt, I am happy for you, extremely happy!! :)

How about merkel??

How about merkel??

I carry a Merkel 470. It took years of research and experiences with different doubles, on the front line, and my choice was Merkel, after that took me 5 years to get mine, and never looked back!

However i like krieghoff ans hyem, and would mind having one of each in my safe

ive never owned a Merkel but for the most part ive heard good things. i know @KMG Hunting Safaris just bought one in 500 NE and seems happy with it.

-matt

How about merkel??

They do not come with all the bells and whistles like the other big brands, such as the engraving, but to me the Merkel is a double rifle made for working which makes me feel better slugging it through the bush doing what I do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CameronPro

Latest profile posts

Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!

Hyde Hunter wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
which East Cape Taxidermist are you referring to? I had Lauriston do my work not real happy with them. oh thanks for the advise on the mount hangers a few months ago. Jim