Big 5 question

NO DISRESPECT FOR ANYTHING THAT HAS OR WILL BE SAID ON THIS THREAD, I HAVE THE "BIG 6" BUT PLACE MY CBL LIONESS AT THE BOTTOM OF THE LIST AND FEEL IN MY HEART I'M NOT QUITE DONE YET.

In my opinion, this primarily refers to males, which also traditionally appear in pictures of the Big Five. Strictly speaking, the Rhino also should be a Black Rhino. The term Big Five seems to me but somewhat outdated and is now above all used for photo tourism in the NP.
Yes Black Rhino ..traditional Big 5

If i am to hunt big 5, for my motives in my trophy room, i would consider even a good photo as a trophy.

That being said, if big 5 is my target, i would hunt buffalo cow, cbl lioness in south aftica, dehorned white rhino, tuskless elephant, and leopard for most economic offer.

But if someone goes for record book entry, that is totally other game.

And a very expensive game too, which most cannot afford !

By the way, a SA PH with vast experience in cbl lion hunting told me that females are much more dangerous to hunt than males

To answer your question and in my opinion "yes". As to the composition of the dangerous 7 or the big 5...that's up to each hunter to decide for themselves.

I have taken the Dangerous 7 with all of them being males and in non fenced areas of Africa except the Rhino which was on a rather large (200 mile) high fence.

HH

If i am to hunt big 5, for my motives in my trophy room, i would consider even a good photo as a trophy.

That being said, if big 5 is my target, i would hunt buffalo cow, cbl lioness in south aftica, dehorned white rhino, tuskless elephant, and leopard for most economic offer.

But if someone goes for record book entry, that is totally other game.
See my Lion, Rhino and Elephant all oil painted pictures in my small trophy room…good enough for me and makes me smile ear to ear every day I see them

Not sure if I'll ever be able to complete a Big 5 hunt or not, but a man can have dreams and goals. LOL.

Does the Big 5 have to be all males, or do females count? I've seen elephant cows deals on here, and was wondering. For the record, I hunt because I love to hunt, and I don't care about measuring anything. My hunts, my experience, my memories, and my trophies. Simple.

Thank you!
Female leopards no way...........Im no expert but I do know Botswana has an elephant problem you maybe should look there for something affordable. I would think lioness would count. I have 3 of the big 5, 4 of the deadly 7. Lion, buffalo, elephant hippo. I got lucky to have a chance at a young bull that was wounded in a fight with another elephant so it was basically a cull deal. Looking for leopard & a good croc as I type this. I'll never have a Big 5 or deadly 7 because I have no interest in hunting rhino. But good luck keep dreaming & looking you can make it happen. I'm by no means super rich.

I have seen "affordable" elephant offers in Zim, but never in Botswana.

Botswana recently reopened elephant hunting, and by estimating the known elephant problem, it is very possible some interesting offers will appear in the foreseeable future.

I wouldnt mind hunting any type of non exportable ele, for affordable price sometime in the future, in Zim, Botswana or elsewhere, when the time comes.

I have seen "affordable" elephant offers in Zim, but never in Botswana
Depends on the definition of affordable. Seen offers in Botswana starting at 20k

Not sure if I'll ever be able to complete a Big 5 hunt or not, but a man can have dreams and goals. LOL.

Does the Big 5 have to be all males, or do females count? I've seen elephant cows deals on here, and was wondering. For the record, I hunt because I love to hunt, and I don't care about measuring anything. My hunts, my experience, my memories, and my trophies. Simple.

Thank you!
Yes females count. Big 5 is Big 5. I know some ways to go about it.

See my Lion, Rhino and Elephant all oil painted pictures in my small trophy room…good enough for me and makes me smile ear to ear every day I see them

I have seen "affordable" elephant offers in Zim, but never in Botswana.

Botswana recently reopened elephant hunting, and by estimating the known elephant problem, it is very possible some interesting offers will appear in the foreseeable future.

I wouldnt mind hunting any type of non exportable ele, for affordable price sometime in the future, in Zim, Botswana or elsewhere, when the time comes.
Completely agree especially if you go non exportable to US. I would expect a deal

Thank you all, keep the comments coming.

I understand that certain animals a male has to be hunted, leopard being one of them. And I'm ok with that and know that it is a financial sacrifice I'll have to deal with when the time comes.

Leopard requires bait so it makes a lot of sense to hunt together with other things you want.

And is dependent upon what is available for bait.

Regarding elephant especially, check with your Outfitter because in some areas the Community may expect the meat from any elephant taken.
Wisdom and experience

Yes females count. Big 5 is Big 5. I know some ways to go about it.

Thank you! BTW, I replied to your PM with my e-mail. Good luck on your upcoming hunt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RobertaNilk

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's
ghay wrote on professor's profile.
Hello,
Would you consider selling just the Barnes 235's and 250g TTSX's?
Hunt27 wrote on Tra3's profile.
Spain, i booked through a consultant, i book almost everything through him now and he's done me right. his contact 724 986 7206 if interested and he will have more info to share,
I hunted elephant with Luke Samaris in 2005. It was my fourth safari and I tell you he is a fine gentleman the best. I got the opportunity to meet Patty Curtis, although never hunted with him but enjoyed our conversation around our tent in the Selous. Very sad for a tough guy to leave this world the way he did. Let’s pray the murderers are caught. I hope to see Luke in Nashville.