Best Reloading References?

I do appreciate all of the above. For me, the biggest issue is ammo that either is not found in manuals due to age (I'm looking at you, 9.5X57 MS) or does not "match" a published powder/bullet combo. This is especially true these days when powder is scarce on the ground. For example, I have some VV N-160 and a .30-06. RWS has a new target bullet called the Scorion. Nice bullet, but all you can do (and VV recommended) is choose a bullet with a similar shape on the list. It worked, but Quickload helped.

At some point, I'm just going to have to use Quickload for the 9.5, and hope it works. I do know that too light a load can cause high pressures too... should be entertaining, and look for signs of pressure!

Hello All,

A question on reloading manuals, websites, and the like - what would you all say is the definitive resource for your own reloading needs? I am a novice reloader, with a couple reloading manuals, but looking to expand my library. Specifically, I am reloading for .404 Jeffery. 9.3x62, and 6.5x55, with plenty of info on the 6.5, but lacking on the 9.3 and .404. Does anyone know of a resource which includes adequate/extensive info on these last two? (Ken Waters, Norma, Hornady etc.)
Also wondering if an e-subscription to one of the online reloading sites might be the way to go?
Thanks to you all in advance.
You're asking about reloading manuals/resources for 'our' reloading needs - this is a broad description as reloading needs vary. Are you after load data? Or guidance on reloading techniques and steps? Or both?

While I do have a few reloading handbooks, I can't say I find them very useful other than maybe a starting load but 9/10 times my components are different to what the manual has assumed, so even then the info is very approximate. And when it comes to describing how to reload - nearly all of the manuals quickly wander into the author's opinion. The author may be the world's most experienced reloader but opinions ain't scientific. How does the rookie reloader separate hard reloading fact from grandad's opinion?

E.g. Annealing is or isn't necessary every reload (ermm based on what science? For who's purposes?)
E.g.2 Inside lubing the neck for bullet seating is critical/a waste or time.
E.g.3 Neck-turning is a waste of time/critical for benchrest accuracy....
The list goes on - of course I get that authors are trying to come up with a generic set of guidelines because catering to all audiences is too big a task and there are legal connotations too.
I would say that finding a reloading 'master' to tutor you would be first prize way beyond a reloading manual - of course this selection needs to be made wisely too.

No-one has mentioned it on this thread yet but an alternative to Quickload is GRT - I've used both and much prefer GRT. You can even build your calibre if yours does not exist on the database - not something for the beginner user but it's possible.

I do appreciate all of the above. For me, the biggest issue is ammo that either is not found in manuals due to age (I'm looking at you, 9.5X57 MS) or does not "match" a published powder/bullet combo. This is especially true these days when powder is scarce on the ground. For example, I have some VV N-160 and a .30-06. RWS has a new target bullet called the Scorion. Nice bullet, but all you can do (and VV recommended) is choose a bullet with a similar shape on the list. It worked, but Quickload helped.

At some point, I'm just going to have to use Quickload for the 9.5, and hope it works. I do know that too light a load can cause high pressures too... should be entertaining, and look for signs of pressure!
That's where I am at right now as well - components that are not found in manuals, and scarce component availability (aggravating this is my location in Canada). I have the latest Lyman manual, and the Nosler book that came with my RCBS kit, but neither of them are quite specific enough for my needs/wants.
I thank you all for your help and suggestions. I think an e-subscription to either LoadData or Quickload is in my future.

You're asking about reloading manuals/resources for 'our' reloading needs - this is a broad description as reloading needs vary. Are you after load data? Or guidance on reloading techniques and steps? Or both?

While I do have a few reloading handbooks, I can't say I find them very useful other than maybe a starting load but 9/10 times my components are different to what the manual has assumed, so even then the info is very approximate. And when it comes to describing how to reload - nearly all of the manuals quickly wander into the author's opinion. The author may be the world's most experienced reloader but opinions ain't scientific. How does the rookie reloader separate hard reloading fact from grandad's opinion?

E.g. Annealing is or isn't necessary every reload (ermm based on what science? For who's purposes?)
E.g.2 Inside lubing the neck for bullet seating is critical/a waste or time.
E.g.3 Neck-turning is a waste of time/critical for benchrest accuracy....
The list goes on - of course I get that authors are trying to come up with a generic set of guidelines because catering to all audiences is too big a task and there are legal connotations too.
I would say that finding a reloading 'master' to tutor you would be first prize way beyond a reloading manual - of course this selection needs to be made wisely too.

No-one has mentioned it on this thread yet but an alternative to Quickload is GRT - I've used both and much prefer GRT. You can even build your calibre if yours does not exist on the database - not something for the beginner user but it's possible.
I suppose I am after what has been useful and helpful to others, so I can cut through some of the unnecessary or redundant information. I also have noticed the contradictions from book to book, but have not yet gained the knowledge to safely disregard one point from another as not necessary to my needs.
I have often thought a weekend reloading course would be right up my alley, one where I could use my own equipment and the components I have acquired.

I use several reloading manuals as well as Wayne Blackall load from a disc.
Unfortunately this is no longer available but it lists around 300 calibers including wildcats. You can choose you bullet weight and manufacturer. It then gives you a choice of powders with weights and proposed pressure with various charges.
It's been great in working up loads for my wildcat 25 and the Whelen.
Bob

I have Woodleigh, Hornady and Swift manuals which is really more than enough. ADI, Alliant, Barnes Nosler all have published data online that is easily accessible as well.

I use a dozen or so manuals. For the bigger bore cartridges I found Pierre Van der Walt's African Dangerous Game Cartridges very helpful developing loads for my .404J and .375 H&H. I like VV powders, so I bought their manual recently. Very helpful.

Multiple printed and on line resources help a great deal.

I use a dozen or so manuals. For the bigger bore cartridges I found Pierre Van der Walt's African Dangerous Game Cartridges very helpful developing loads for my .404J and .375 H&H. I like VV powders, so I bought their manual recently. Very helpful.

Multiple printed and on line resources help a great deal.
I second the recommendation of Pierre van der Walts, African Dangerous Game Cartridges.
An excellent resource for Dangerous Game cartridges and general, science, and experienced based information. Just an all-around great read about medium and large bore cartridges.

I am not an expert reloader, after 20 years, just always learning and processing information on everything from .243 Winchester to .500 Jeffery. Currently, I am delving into the Black magic of double rifle reloads for the 450/400 Jeffery.

Many more folks here know a lot more than I do so consider the source.

I use several manuals and sources (Barnes, Hornady, Loaddata.com Lyman, Nosler, Speer) to interpolate data, leaning on the conservative side, as some loads vary greatly amongst companies. As a previous poster stated, Hornady loads are VERY conservative, as I have used Lee, Lyman, Speer data for my 35 Whelen, with no problems, and slightly higher than Hornady. Of course, practice careful reloading technique, work up slowly, noting any pressure signs.

As regards loads published in Rifle and Handloader, the best advice written by John Barsness is that if your load chronographs faster (on average) than published load data, it's too high. When I started reloading 20 years ago, I chased the best Maximum load, velocity. Now I chase the most accurate, consistent load under max, as another 100 fps does not make a difference in the field. There are no magic barrels, bullets or powders or techniques.
Also, if you get sticky extraction, flattened primers, stiff bolt lift, that load is already too hot for your rifle.

I second the recommendation of Pierre van der Walts, African Dangerous Game Cartridges.
An excellent resource for Dangerous Game cartridges and general, science, and experienced based information. Just an all-around great read about medium and large bore cartridges.

I am not an expert reloader, after 20 years, just always learning and processing information on everything from .243 Winchester to .500 Jeffery. Currently, I am delving into the Black magic of double rifle reloads for the 450/400 Jeffery.

Many more folks here know a lot more than I do so consider the source.

I use several manuals and sources (Barnes, Hornady, Loaddata.com Lyman, Nosler, Speer) to interpolate data, leaning on the conservative side, as some loads vary greatly amongst companies. As a previous poster stated, Hornady loads are VERY conservative, as I have used Lee, Lyman, Speer data for my 35 Whelen, with no problems, and slightly higher than Hornady. Of course, practice careful reloading technique, work up slowly, noting any pressure signs.

As regards loads published in Rifle and Handloader, the best advice written by John Barsness is that if your load chronographs faster (on average) than published load data, it's too high. When I started reloading 20 years ago, I chased the best Maximum load, velocity. Now I chase the most accurate, consistent load under max, as another 100 fps does not make a difference in the field. There are no magic barrels, bullets or powders or techniques.
Also, if you get sticky extraction, flattened primers, stiff bolt lift, that load is already too hot for your rifle.
Some good advice there I think, Thanks. I have been looking for a copy of that book, however it seems to be as rare as primers, powder, and brass theses days!

Some good advice there I think, Thanks. I have been looking for a copy of that book, however it seems to be as rare as primers, powder, and brass theses days!
Check out Degoins posts here, as he has a couple of copies that he is selling, shipping from RSA via DHL.
Not cheap, but worth every dollar, and an investment.

I am not a tinkerer. I do not load for accuracy because I've found chasing accuracy is a needless waste of time.
I very much resemble this. For a big game rifle, 300 yards and under, is a 1” group that much better than a 1.5” group. I feel that my powder is better burned practicing from field positions than chasing accuracy off the bench rest.
Varmint rifles are a different story IMO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mksportsmkcom

Latest profile posts

EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on MarcoPani's profile.
Happy Birthday, from Grahamstown, South Africa.
I hope your day is great!
Cheers
Marius
EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on Ilkay Taskin's profile.
Happy Birthday from Grahamstown, South Africa! I hope you have a great day!
Cheers, Marius
idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]