Best looking stock

I think that the most "complete" stock on all of my guns is the one on my .404.

Nothing to compare with a grade 9 Rigby or even a Westley Richards, but I paid less than 4k for this new rifle (without scope) and I think that the stock is still quite a nice one...

20230618_164242.jpg

I think that the most "complete" stock on all of my guns is the one on my .404.

Nothing to compare with a grade 9 Rigby or even a Westley Richards, but I paid less than 4k for this new rifle (without scope) and I think that the stock is still quite a nice one...

View attachment 540750
Ain't nothing wrong with that piece of wood!

On my

refurbished Rigby 275 they also advised me to have this colored stock versus the red hue given mine was built in 1956. Mine certainly does not compare to the beauty of this one!!!
I like both the red stocks and the more natural colour stocks. Given my Highland Stalker is a red stock I think it will be good to have the 450 in a different stock so I have an example of both. The problem I'm going to have with this one is I am going to be really concerned with damage, anyone that knows me knows I use my rifles and a few scratches here and there doesn't bother me at all but with this one I think I'm going to be a bit precious with it.

Worthless when chamber and rest of rifle is out if speck....

Looks is one thing I prefer strength in a stock as my rifles are working tools....I am leaning towards laminated stocks as aposed to highly figured walnut....

I’ve got a few really nice walnut stocks on rifles… but the vast majority of my rifles wear either synthetic or laminate stocks… for me less maintenance and more strength is usually a greater priority…

I’ve got a few really nice walnut stocks on rifles… but the vast majority of my rifles wear either synthetic or laminate stocks… for me less maintenance and more strength is usually a greater priority…
I have synthetic too. Several rifles have both so I can swap them out. I am not opposed to hunting with synthetic but I like working on/building my wood stocks. Wood is far more sexy!!!!

I was reading through Joe D Clayton's book on the Ruger No 1 in bed, late last night; some gorgeous stocks in there ...

Worthless when chamber and rest of rifle is out if speck....

Of course a beautiful stock doesn't make a practical difference if a rifle is mechanically unsound. That's a given. Aesthetics ≠ utility. I don't think anyone would argue against that.

But the point of this thread was not to discuss the most important qualities in a rifle--it was to discuss and share photos of what people consider the best looking gunstocks.

I guess I just don't understand the compulsion to be a wet blanket.

Hello. Photos of the wood of a friend's arms. If it's supposed to be pleasing to the eye, I think it should be.

View attachment 540728

I really like the lines of the back of the action of this rifle. Do you have more info on what it is? Who made it?

Echols synthetic. The beauty is in the simplicity. :)

63AD2AE4-DD19-4CCA-8411-DF7681E2D496.jpeg
DF4415D7-1473-4521-805A-CD1BDEE37203.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks is one thing I prefer strength in a stock as my rifles are working tools....I am leaning towards laminated stocks as aposed to highly figured walnut....
You could start a new thread, titled "Strongest Stock".

Just a thought.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pearline33

Latest profile posts

John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia