Best hunting movies Africa or otherwise

I enjoyed the book but wouldn't call it his best work. I've never seen the movie, how do the two compare?
Neither are great, and both are slow and talky.

White hunter - Black heart.
One of the worst.

Effect in popular culture that I see from that one, is this:

When I say I was on Safari in Africa, to non hunting acquaintances
they usually respond - Aha! White hunter - black heart! With negative connotation.

Love Blood Diamond great movie but cannot remember any hunting in the movie
I mean it's a human hunt, but other than that there was one bit where DiCaprio's character kills a baboon or some such for bushmeat, I think.

Have never had anyone mention the movie (White Hunter Black Heart) to me in any context other than after having just watched it perhaps and nothing about making hunters or hunting look bad. YMMV. Some folks take things too seriously.

Ghost and the Darkness, I have watched it few times
. No Hunting themed movies come to mind so watching with interest to see what i might like.

Quigley Downunder was a long distance sharpshooter recruited from the US to hunt wild dogs in Australia but with a twist. My mate used to watch that when he came to town for his annual visits.

If I remember right the idea was for him to hunt the aborigines that the rancher was having problems with exterminating. At least that was my take on the scene.

If I remember right the idea was for him to hunt the aborigines that the rancher was having problems with exterminating. At least that was my take on the scene.
Yes, that was the premise. Entertaining movie with the exception of the that crazy broad he meets up with. Should have left that character on the cutting room floor.

I can't believe that no one has mentioned the old Tarzan movies with Johnny Weissmuller from the 30's and 40's

I should have included "Out of Africa". It is a masterpiece. "White Hunter Black Heart" is an artsy melodrama that may be Clint Eastwood's worst movie - his accent alone is almost unbearable. "Last King of Scotland" is very well done, but I have never been interested in watching it a second time. I had also forgotten "Something of Value." The novel is superb - and will never be found on the average college millennial reading list. Sidney Poitier is very good in it, but Rock Hudson seems to be just going through the lines. It also strays pretty far from Ruark. "Ghost AND the Darkness" and "Out of Africa" are the two most watchable for a modern audience. Remember there is a lot of embellishment in the former. There was a railroad, there was a Patterson, and the lions were quite hungry. Otherwise, it is a good film and story.

I apologise @Petey J - I jumped to the conclusion that the question was about Africa. Plus, I tried to watch that stupid movie once and didn't make it half-way through - though perhaps it was a regional prejudice. I can certainly understand why Yankees might would love it. :A Outta:

I was just about to ask about Clint Eastwood in this movie White Hunter Black Heart, but you spared me the agony of disappointment. I will just saddle up with Clint and Clyde and pretend it’s about Africa.

Yes, that was the premise. Entertaining movie with the exception of the that crazy broad he meets up with. Should have left that character on the cutting room floor.

Come on Roy!

I was just about to ask about Clint Eastwood in this movie White Hunter Black Heart, but you spared me the agony of disappointment. I will just saddle up with Clint and Clyde and pretend it’s about Africa.
You should try it, you might like it. Just because some don't doesn't mean you wont. IIRC it had pretty favorable reviews, been a long time though.

I apologise @Petey J - I jumped to the conclusion that the question was about Africa. Plus, I tried to watch that stupid movie once and didn't make it half-way through - though perhaps it was a regional prejudice. I can certainly understand why Yankees might would love it.
No worries, sir. I can understand why you would feel that way about it. It is irreverent comedy. My wife still struggles to watch it and just can't understand. I think, for me, since I know so many people from Wisconsin and Minnesota, I watch Escanaba and I know all of those guys, sometimes in multiple. And at times, I am one of those guys. But which one changes.

I have added several of your suggestions to my watchlists.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Red Leg No worries, sir. I can understand why you would feel that way about it. It is irreverent comedy. My wife still struggles to watch it and just can't understand. I think, for me, since I know so many people from Wisconsin and Minnesota, I watch Escanaba and I know all of those guys, sometimes in multiple. And at times, I am one of those guys. But which one changes.

I have added several of your suggestions to my watchlists.
Sounds like a woman with exquisite taste. (y) With respect to northern Midwest movies, I’ll have to admit that I did love “Fargo.” ;)

Many of these have probably already been mentioned. Not all about hunting. In no particular order:

Out of Africa - IMO, the best African movie.

The God's must be Crazy - Who knew Coke bottles were so interesting.

Breaker Morant - Boer War. Scapegoat of the Empire. Prequel to the lead up to the ANZAC slaughter at Galliopli.

The Flame Trees of Thika - Elspeth Huxley coming of age in Colonial Kenya mini series. Excellent.

The Last King of Scotland - Idi Amin

Hotel Rwanda - Shining light in the midst of true despair.

The Wild Geese - Mercenaries in Africa. Choose one of the three. If you like it watch the next....
Dark of the Sun -
Dogs of War -

Blood Diamonds - Well done for the subject matter.

Born Free - Adamsons' raising orphaned lions after he shot the lioness.

Zulu - Excellent.

The Constant Gardener - Suspense.

The Happy Valley - Not the best movie, but a great period piece about an interesting time in Kenya.

I Dreamed of Africa - About Kuki Gallman. Anti hunting but her story is interesting.

Mountains of the Moon - Exploration Sources of the White Nile.

Another classic although not completely about hunting is " the deer hunter "
It was a great movie was THE DEER HUNTER. Unfortunately its lead star Robert DeNiro has become an insane libtard and nothing but a foul mouthed A HOLE and I have no use for the ass anymore.

Many of these have probably already been mentioned. Not all about hunting. In no particular order:

Out of Africa - IMO, the best African movie.

The God's must be Crazy - Who knew Coke bottles were so interesting.

Breaker Morant - Boer War. Scapegoat of the Empire. Prequel to the lead up to the ANZAC slaughter at Galliopli.

The Flame Trees of Thika - Elspeth Huxley coming of age in Colonial Kenya mini series. Excellent.

The Last King of Scotland - Idi Amin

Hotel Rwanda - Shining light in the midst of true despair.

The Wild Geese - Mercenaries in Africa. Choose one of the three. If you like it watch the next....
Dark of the Sun -
Dogs of War -

Blood Diamonds - Well done for the subject matter.

Born Free - Adamsons' raising orphaned lions after he shot the lioness.

Zulu - Excellent.

The Constant Gardener - Suspense.

The Happy Valley - Not the best movie, but a great period piece about an interesting time in Kenya.

I Dreamed of Africa - About Kuki Gallman. Anti hunting but her story is interesting.

Mountains of the Moon - Exploration Sources of the White Nile.
Agree in particular on the Thika series, it was very well done. I Dreamed of Africa, not so much. The Gods must be Crazy is hilarious. Another less well known show, saw it just once was a docudrama about Corbett's adventures with the Man Eaters of Kumaon, British of course and well done. IIRC the lead was played by an actor named Fredrick Treves. Worth a look if one hasn't seen it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mangalbhanu

Latest profile posts

John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia