Best double rifle for the money $$

Edward Wright

AH veteran
Reaction score
Member of
NRA-life
Hunted
Quebec, Newfoundland, Wyoming, Kentucky, South Carolina, Indiana
I was considering buying a double rifle, and want to stay under 10K. I have been looking around, and that seems very possible. What is the opinion on a double in 470 NE? I have looked online only, no where close to actually handle a double.

Show up at DSC or SCI and handle and see until you can't stand any more! Prices from less than $10,000 up to the cost of a nice new home in the southern U.S.!

Have to go and play with one to see if it fits.

I have a Merkel and I and very happy with it!

You should be able to get one in State for under 10k.

Try Cabelas. The often have Merkel doubles in the gun room! Last one I picked up was new and $10k for 470 NE

dear all
I am also shopping around for a new double, i have a Krieghoff. Looking at a Chapuis. Heym and Merkel might even consider a VC.
Any advise ? i have no experience with the Chapuis ? Is it any good ??

Cant go wrong with any of the rifles on that list.

Some guy love Chapuis other dont car for it.

I know of a couple of Ph's that says the Chapuis are pretty guns but a little soft for the bush.

If I had to buy another double it would be VC only because they fit the rifle to you.

I have a Krieghoff in .470 and I'm very happy with it. I looked at the factory targets and picked one that was very well regulated. It is very accurate for a double rifle. You'll enjoy having a double. Great fun.

Where can I get my hands on a K-rifle, or a Merkle, or that Sabatti that I hear is not bad?
I am in west central Ohio, and would like to stay on this side of the Mississippi to just look at guns, not ready to buy yet because I;m nit sure of caliber, and I am working up loads on my 458 Lott bolt, and may even want a double gun in that caliber. But my heart is in the 470 class, at least for now.

Sabatti were imported for Cabelas but they no longer carry they are imported by someone else now the model 92 Deluxe in the big boy calibers have went up about $1200 there is a couple of shops in San Antonio, Tx that carry them in the $6000 and up .
Cant remember the name of the importer.

The best double for you would be the one that actually fits you.
You are correct in wanting to handle before buying, if it doesn't fit you and it's a .470 you are not going to enjoy shooting it much.

The Merkles, Chapuis and K-Guns come in generic stock dimensions which is great if you have the body type to match.

The V.C's are stocked to suit the buyer and the Heyms can be had "custom" as well.

Any of the big shows such as Dallas or Vegas should be a mandatory visit if you are thinking of spending that much money on a gun.

Good luck with your purchase.

It's a shame that we can't sabatti doubles in the UK. The importer is not very helpful but hey that's life. I agree wit those that have mentioned fit. It's imperative the rifle fits you well makes it easy in a tight spot

Yes, I agree that seeing, and handling is key with that type of rifle, and the cash outlay for it. I like the Sabatti look, and I like what I've heard about K-rifles. I guess I will have to come out to Dallas, or Vegas this winter to get a look. But my heart is more, and more set on a 47o

Yes, I agree that seeing, and handling is key with that type of rifle, and the cash outlay for it. I like the Sabatti look, and I like what I've heard about K-rifles. I guess I will have to come out to Dallas, or Vegas this winter to get a look. But my heart is more, and more set on a 47o

What I know about DR's could be covered quite quickly, i.e. I'm not the one to seek advice from. Having said that my interest in owning one has been increasing with time and I did spend a fair amount of time with Jerome from Verney Carron at their booth at SCI and DSC. So I guess my knowledge of DR's while still limited did increase a bit earlier this year.

The biggest takeaway for me was learning the nuances of stock fit and just how different that can be from person to person. And what I'm equally sure of is that given two rifles of the same make and caliber but one whose stock does not fit you and the other one does will feel vastly different to you when it comes to recoil. This of course becomes that much more amplified as you increase the caliber.

I ponder the idea of buying a double rifle, then seeking the fitting from a shotgun fitter? I have a few of those in my area, and a DG rifle gunsmith as well. I have always felt if you really love the rifle you will work to make it fit. Then again the perfect rifle you put your hands on is tough to put down, my experience that is the one I can't afford:(

Then again the perfect rifle you put your hands on is tough to put down, my experience that is the one I can't afford:(

I do believe we are just 2 more in a long line of folks just like that.

Good evening. As you have said fit is the most important element, especially as the calibres get larger and recoil goes up. Any of the double you have mentioned that fit would serve you well. I have shot a 500 NE merkle that is a friends that is just great to shoot, fits me well (Still can't talk him out of it) I have shot one of the rem/russian 221's, ugly as crap but was fun to shoot. I have owned two sabatti's 45/70 and 450NE both were cabelas but were very well regulated and would recommend one and the new ones carried by wholesale hunter come with an accuracy guarantee (That might become my 500). I currently shoot a 9.3x74 Chapuis that is my favourite rifle! Just picked up a SIACE 45/70 that shoots well and has made my choice of that or the 405 WIN Simson for a lion in 2018 tougher. You should try and make it to DSC or SCI and get a chance to handle. Chapuis, Verreny Carron, Hyme, Merkels, and anumber of the used ones that some of the dealers have on the tables. Ask many questions and enjoy the search for a double

The Blaser S2 has ceased production, but can be had used in your price range. I have one with three sets of barrels and love it. It isn't traditional, but it is extremely ergonomic and accurate.

What ar thoughts on O/U DG rifles?? Sabatti has a line of O/U rifles in DG calibers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BenitoMurn

Latest profile posts

T/C wrote on Dewald's profile.
Hi Dewald,
I am looking for a copy of Wright's "Shooting the British Double Rifle" (3E).
Please PM me (T/C) if you still have one.
Thank you very much in advance!!!
I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg