Best Deer Hunting Round, LOL!

What is your preferred Medium Game (Deer) Caliber?

• Total voters
Notice the 3 words in parentheses, (Putiing it nicely), starting the last paragraph of my thread.

Having been chastised many times for stating, In My Opinion, I don't consider shooting animals over timed feeders hunting, UNLESS: the person hunting has health or mobility problems, or has limiting physical condition, or a youngster not quite up to the stringents of going afield on their first hunt. I have learned to just allow others to define to themselves as to what is hunting and what is shooting, and what they consider is or isn't ethical.

Not entirely sure what you’re pointing out here. I thought I was agreeing with you.

I try not to judge hunting practices I don’t understand but I’ll never understand dog driving (like we do in the south) nor shooting anything that’s technically legal. Dog and man drives are de rigueur in other places. When in Rome I’d give it a try but not my cup of tea at home.

Don’t have any problems with bait. Does go to it but I’ve rarely seen a trophy over a feeder. Just makes it more convenient to collect some venison.

I was talking to a cousin-in-law last year who hunts moose in Maine where she lives. She was appalled that we hunt out of stands. She thought it was lazy and unsporting. According to her if you weren’t tracking and stalking you were shopping, not hunting. Tough woman.

I think practices are all pretty regional and often have more to do with terrain and proximity to civilization than anything.

Not entirely sure what you’re pointing out here. I thought I was agreeing with you.

I try not to judge hunting practices I don’t understand but I’ll never understand dog driving (like we do in the south) nor shooting anything that’s technically legal. Dog and man drives are de rigueur in other places. When in Rome I’d give it a try but not my cup of tea at home.

Don’t have any problems with bait. Does go to it but I’ve rarely seen a trophy over a feeder. Just makes it more convenient to collect some venison.

I was talking to a cousin-in-law last year who hunts moose in Maine where she lives. She was appalled that we hunt out of stands. She thought it was lazy and unsporting. According to her if you weren’t tracking and stalking you were shopping, not hunting. Tough woman.

I think practices are all pretty regional and often have more to do with terrain and proximity to civilization than anything.

Seems like you understand my points, by your comments. The part about your cousin-in-law. You may have personally only seen does at baits/feeders. Have you watched any of the TV hunting shows where the hunter sits in a raised box blind watching a timed feeder, waits and chooses the buck he is going to shoot(?).

I have participated in both dog and man deer drives. I call it rabbit hunting deer. This type of hunt has its pros and cons. Done properly I have no harsh qualms. Conducted improperly, I most certainly have a lot of opposition to this type of activity.

Your last sentence pretty much nails it. And why I refrain from, to some extent, judging what or how others consider what it means to hunt.

Should those that choose to shoot an animal at extreme long range [vs getting as close as they can] call it hunting, its not for me, but okay as long as it is a legal hunt.

If a person chooses to hunt from a tower, all weather, temp control, box blind at a timed feeder where they can pick and choose a deer of their choice, want to call that hunting, as long as it is legal, okay, but it's not for me or what I call hunting.

Regardless whether it's a tower box blind or ground blind that's not what I have a problem with, as I do build/use natural blinds and naturally created blinds made from tree limbs and brush for deer hunting. I also occassionally use pop up blinds and netting material for blinds, however mainly for turkey and waterfowl hunting.

I have a qualm with timed feeders, because they condition game to come to the sound of the feeders whether feed is being dispensed or not, and unlike regularly packed in placed baits which can be devoured before the next time the placed bait is replenished or hunt. I compare both types of baiting to fishing not hunting. But hey, as long as it is legal where you are at, okay.

I have tried treestand hunting in thick woods with heavy under brush. I had a broken toe so stalking was out of the question and four other times after my toe healed. I can understand the advantages of treestand hunting, I just don't care to.

As to the OP's question on preferred deer caliber. Without specifics there are too many calibers to choose from and why I carry 2 types of weapons; a rifle or shotgun and a revolver. Certain areas I hunt can go from one extreme of clear open woods in one place to extreme dense under brush and everything in between in another place or depending on which side of the trail or mountain I'm looking at.

Then there are the threads of preferred calibers for those taking youngsters and the recoil sensitive family and/or friends hunting.

And now back to my initial response to the OP's question: as to season muzzle loading or gun; On special quota hunt areas that only allow the use muzzle loaders or shotgun. Or in states that only allow the use of muzzle loaders and shotguns; use slugs only or choice of slugs or buckshot. Tennessee only allows slugs for hunting big game where as North Carolina allows the option to use slugs or buckshot when hunting big game.

I'm surprised the 243 and 25-06 aren't doing better. Both are excellent deer cartridges. I did vote for the 270 (my 2nd favorite rifle after my 500 Jeffery which is a bit much for deer).

I thought about a vote for the trusty .30-30, which I've used extremely successfully for multiple deer, but its forte is inside 150 yards, even with the hotter Leverevolution loadings. So it's not the greatest all-purpose clambering, but it can be counted on for a LOT of whitetail situations.

Before I give my answer I'll have to review what it takes to be the best all-around deer cartridge.
  1. Accurate out to 300 yards
  2. Easy to shoot
  3. Handloading is not required
  4. Good selection of bullet types and weights
  5. Fast handling
  6. from 0-300 yards the deer travels no more than 10 yards after being shot in the chest (90% of the time)
All of the cartridges listed or mentioned in this thread will meet items 1 thru 5 but its items 6 that separates the champ from the contenders. The small, lightweight, fast-moving rounds regularly produce DRT results at 200-300 yards but fail to produce the same DRT results. The 6.5s thru 300WM are all great rounds and have put countless deer in the freezer but they also struggle with item 6. So is their a mythical cartridge that meets all six of my items, why yes there is, it's my favorite cartridge of all time the 35 Whelen

For me, 30-06 is the overall put down gun.

However, its not so practical for brushy bluff country or the tangles of the river bottoms in my part of the country. Some areas I hunt can be a bit unforgiving so a 12 gauge shot gun or a 30-30 might be the best that day if I’m going to be in an area where a 20 to 30 yard shot will be the farthest I’ll be able to get a clean shot.

Then there are a few sets of eyes staring at me from the wall telling me not to forget that a well placed 270 round is darned awfully effective too.

:unsure:

I've never shot an elk with my 270 (killed over 2 dozen) go more than 20 yards, longest range 450 yards, many over 300 yards as many at 30 yards in the deep timber. Of course I do handload and get 3000 fps with a 150g Partition, which puts it in 7mm Rem Mag territory with factory ammunition

I forgot to vote, so I just added .270 for my opinion. I’ve taken more game with a .270 than anything else. I just added a .270 barrel to my R8 for deer and antelope hunting. I’ve shot a number of elk with the .270 as well, it works!

the 6.5 creedmoor is a 0 - 300 yd deer cartridge, not a 400 - 1000 .
it is a good 1000 yd target round though.
bruce.

Yes! The truth..... nice to see and I tip my hat to Bruce,

Every year I and a brother from Alabama take a late spring trip to Pennsylvania to slaughter ground hogs before the crops grow too high. It rained quite a bit that week and we set up one of those fold up tent tops with a plastic table and two chairs along with bags and stuff for shooting. My best shot with a work LLPed 378 Weatherby was 741 yards dialed in on his nose......which got blown off in the process.

Not bragging and I'll just say that I'm pretty lucky.....real lucky to be fortunate enough to hit something that small with a 300+ grain miniature cruise missile that instantaneously sent Mister Choppers to that grass field in the sky.

There's quite a few fellas here at this site that not only do I believe they are lucky like I am, but also have the good sense o know that hitting is one thing, but hitting and killing within a reasonable distance is yet another.

Our friend @bruce moulds told the truth about the creedmore and what it can realistically accomplish. The 6.5 grendel though aan almost no exsiatant recoil round d is good for 100 to 150 yards on wtd.

I think that every round mentioned is a deer round in the right hands.

Curious:

Then why do I see and hear about guys using the 6.5 Creedmore to shoot mule and white tail deer, and antelope out west, (predominantly Texas, Montana, Wyoming), at ranges out to 1000+ yards?

I don't remember the caliber, show (title might have been long range hunter or something similar) (the show is/was on one of the 3 hunting channels my buddy watches when I visit), or western state they were hunting in, so I can't give any definitive details. If I recall correctly the guy made somewhere around a 1200 yard shot on a deer.

(Putting it nicely) My hunting buddy and I both questioned the ethics of why take/attempt such a long shot and how is this considered hunting. To each their own way when it comes to hunting, as long as the hunt is done legally.
@Ridge Runner
Elmer Kieth whacked away at a coyote at 600 yards from the steps of some government building with a 44mag or 25/35 Winchester or some such. Took six shots to get it so it can be done but is it ETHICAL.
Bob

Yes! The truth..... nice to see and I tip my hat to Bruce,

Every year I and a brother from Alabama take a late spring trip to Pennsylvania to slaughter ground hogs before the crops grow too high. It rained quite a bit that week and we set up one of those fold up tent tops with a plastic table and two chairs along with bags and stuff for shooting. My best shot with a work LLPed 378 Weatherby was 741 yards dialed in on his nose......which got blown off in the process.

Not bragging and I'll just say that I'm pretty lucky.....real lucky to be fortunate enough to hit something that small with a 300+ grain miniature cruise missile that instantaneously sent Mister Choppers to that grass field in the sky.

There's quite a few fellas here at this site that not only do I believe they are lucky like I am, but also have the good sense o know that hitting is one thing, but hitting and killing within a reasonable distance is yet another.

Our friend @bruce moulds told the truth about the creedmore and what it can realistically accomplish. The 6.5 grendel though aan almost no exsiatant recoil round d is good for 100 to 150 yards on wtd.

I think that every round mentioned is a deer round in the right hands.
Here you have a very high energy cartridge with a naturally good BC shooting long distance. You would have killed a deer no problem at that range and probably beyond. The real issue is the cardboard snipers don't know about energy and think that because it can be hit from great distance that it should be. I feel like the muzzle energy target for maximum range on a whitetail should be something North of 1500 ft/lbs for a quick and decisive kill. That's me personally, but I don't like fiddling about in the bushes looking for something that is suffering. You sound right shades of ignorant when you're babbling on about having sufficient muzzle energy and chasing a mile long blood trail.

@Ridge Runner
Elmer Kieth whacked away at a coyote at 600 yards from the steps of some government building with a 44mag or 25/35 Winchester or some such. Took six shots to get it so it can be done but is it ETHICAL.
Bob

As long as the hunt is legal and done legally. Who is to dictate what is ethical or not to another hunter.

Your example: I was not there. I don't know all the details, so I cannot say if it is ethical.

Long story short: I fired 16 rounds of 45 ACP, 2 mags, at a coyote at 25 out to 50 yards and missed, and that was after shooting at it and 2 other coyotes emptying my 12 gauge, 3 rounds of #5 shot, 3 inch turkey loads while turkey hunting.

I had mistakingly picked up 45 ACP self defense mags instead of the hunting mags. So I was really pissed that I not only missed the coyote, I wasted expensive close quarter self defense ammo.

With good reason, I Hate coyotes! Personally, to Hell with ethics and morality when it comes to killing coyotes! Given the opportunity of having both a 130 class buck standing in front of me at 30 yards or a coyote standing at 100 yards, I'm aiming for the coyote.

25-06 Win 120gr PEP or my handloads 120gr Partition. There is a lot of dead deer to back me up.
@Graham Hunter
I load my 25 Epps Newton improved with 100grain Barnes TTSX, 117grain SST or 115grain nosler combined technology silver tip. All of them flatten deer as far away as I care to shoot. My longest shot to date was 386 yards on a fallow because I had no other option. I prefer less than 300 and 200 is better.
With the 25s it's nice knowing that it will easily do the the job at longer range if needed.
Bob

Taking the huge Sambhar deer into consideration ( which is identical in size to an American elk ) , I would have to vote for the .338 Winchester Magnum ( loaded with 250 grain Nosler Partition soft nose ammunition ) .
@Professor Malwa
We have the mighty sambar in Australia and I have found the humble 270 Winchester with a good 130grain to be more than enough. I did use a 444 marlin with 280grain Woodleigh RNSP and felt that was to much gun.
Just my opinion.
Bob

@Professor Malwa
We have the mighty sambar in Australia and I have found the humble 270 Winchester with a good 130grain to be more than enough. I did use a 444 marlin with 280grain Woodleigh RNSP and felt that was to much gun.
Just my opinion.
Bob
@Bob Nelson 35Whelen
That is very much plausible . I shot my last Australian Sambhar deer with a .30-06 Springfield and 220 grain Woodleigh soft nose hand loads .

On my side of the pond, a .243 will be fine for Roe Deer

For Red or Fallow deer, I would pick a .270
@Nyati.
Why not get a 25/06 and have all bases covered from r pie to red and with the right projectiles even Sambar deer.
Bob

@Bob Nelson 35Whelen
That is very much plausible . I shot my last Australian Sambhar deer with a .30-06 Springfield and 220 grain Woodleigh soft nose hand loads .
@Professor Malwa
A friend of mine regularly shoots them with a 30/06 and 165 grain woodleigh PPSP projectiles.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mbalikhumalo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!

Hyde Hunter wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
which East Cape Taxidermist are you referring to? I had Lauriston do my work not real happy with them. oh thanks for the advise on the mount hangers a few months ago. Jim
jimbo1972 wrote on Bwaybuilder's profile.
Great to do business with