Best Caliber for sheep hunting

I'm no expert and will be watching this thread as a sheep and goat gun is in my future as well... But to throw something new and different out here.. I've been drooling over the Kimber Adirondack in a 6.5 Creedmoor... Just wish it had a couple more inches of barrel length. What I really want is for them to wake up and chamber the Mountain Ascent in the Creedmoor, same weight and a 22" barrel vs. the 18" on Adirondack. I'll give em a year and see what comes. I would love to put the sleek and light weight Z3 3-9 x 36 scope on it but for 500 yards I would go with a Z5 3.5-18 or the Zeiss 3-15 that Kimber sells with matching camo. Thinking I'd also drop the bucks for the one piece aluminum Talley rings.

The Creedmoor is a legit 500 yard caliber with recoil akin to a 243. At 500 yards it delivers 1200 Foot Pounds at still over 2000 fps, that should take down a sheep cleanly and not hurt to bad to shoot in the lightest weight production bolt gun available.

But I have never hunted sheep nor high mountains... I just know that at altitude those ounces can feel like pounds so I want a light weight gun that can do the job. I'm sure there are many other great options with marginally more weight and much more power.
I agree that a .243, as well as the 6.5 CM are excellent for the type of hunting you are describing. I picked up a 6.5 CM Tikka Superlight stainless synthetic to be my sheep/goat/ibex/mouflon/etc specific gun. could i take my 30/06, or my 338 WM? yes i definitely could. but i didnt have anything in my gun collection between .223 and 30/06 so the Tilka fills that gap. lightweight, flat shooting, and hits hard enough at distance for what i plan on using it for. my humble opinion, gentlemen

Sheep are not difficult to kill, so any reasonable caliber that’s flat shooting and accurate for you will work well. I’ve shot 4 rams, 3 Dalls and 1 Desert, with a variety of 270, 300 Winchester and 264 Winchester. Ranges have been from around 100-250 yards. The next sheep hunt I go on, I’ll probably shoot my 264 again, it’s very accurate and flat, driving a 127 grain Barnes LRX at 3,220 fps. But if a hard physical hunt I’ll probably fall back on my 270 since it’s a couple pounds lighter to carry.

It’s hard to argue against a 270 as a sheep rifle since it’s a classic chambering that’s flat, hits hard and is easy to shoot. The only reason I shot 1 Dall with a 300 mag is I was on a sheep/grizzly hunt so wanted more punch for a grizzly than my 270 has.

I'm no expert and will be watching this thread as a sheep and goat gun is in my future as well... But to throw something new and different out here.. I've been drooling over the Kimber Adirondack in a 6.5 Creedmoor... Just wish it had a couple more inches of barrel length. What I really want is for them to wake up and chamber the Mountain Ascent in the Creedmoor, same weight and a 22" barrel vs. the 18" on Adirondack. I'll give em a year and see what comes. I would love to put the sleek and light weight Z3 3-9 x 36 scope on it but for 500 yards I would go with a Z5 3.5-18 or the Zeiss 3-15 that Kimber sells with matching camo. Thinking I'd also drop the bucks for the one piece aluminum Talley rings.

The Creedmoor is a legit 500 yard caliber with recoil akin to a 243. At 500 yards it delivers 1200 Foot Pounds at still over 2000 fps, that should take down a sheep cleanly and not hurt to bad to shoot in the lightest weight production bolt gun available.

But I have never hunted sheep nor high mountains... I just know that at altitude those ounces can feel like pounds so I want a light weight gun that can do the job. I'm sure there are many other great options with marginally more weight and much more power.
@Action Bob
Git yersef a nice lightweight 257 Weatherby and load it with 100gn TTSX at 3,600fps. Shoots as flat as a shit carters hat and wallop a long ways out. My 25 is 2 inches high at 100yds spot on at 300 and only 8 inches low at 400.
If you get a manbun I will definitely talk to @ Just Gina and have her make you a pink tutu and fluffy moccasins to hunt in. That should cure your thoughts of a manbun.
You could just get a mountain ascent in 280AI tho.
Bob

@Action Bob
Git yersef a nice lightweight 257 Weatherby and load it with 100gn TTSX at 3,600fps. Shoots as flat as a shit carters hat and wallop a long ways out. My 25 is 2 inches high at 100yds spot on at 300 and only 8 inches low at 400.
If you get a manbun I will definitely talk to @ Just Gina and have her make you a pink tutu and fluffy moccasins to hunt in. That should cure your thoughts of a manbun.
Bob
Wow Bob that was back in 2015!

I actually bought a Kimber Mountain Accent in 300 WSM and used it on my Mountain Goat hunt.

Topped with Swarovski Z3 3-9x36 it is as light weight as about anything you could buy off the shelf other than that Adirondack. Shooting a 200 grain bullet I'd feel comfortable taking a grizzly or a moose with it;)

@Action Bob
Bob
Bob, once again you are promoting the .25 calibre. You know the Creedmoor Crowd will argue their 6.5 has moor merit and a flatter trajectory right?

Bob, once again you are promoting the .25 calibre. You know the Creedmoor Crowd will argue their 6.5 has moor merit and a flatter trajectory right?
@CBH Australia
Chris even Ron Spomer says the humble almost 100 year old 25-06 shoots flatter and hits harder than the 6.5 manbun. The new fangled man bun does NORTHING the old 25-06 can't do better.
Just goes to show sometimes old is better.
Pity is the older I get the more shit I become in some things.
I was talking to an old bloke at a retirement home the other day. At 96 years old he said he could do as much as he could at 20 years old.
I told him that's bloody amazing.

He replied not really, just goes to show how useless I was when I was 20.
HA HA HA HA HA HA
Bob

My old M70 .270 lightweight @ 7.5 lbs , scoped & loaded
has served me well , I agree anything from 25-06 to a 300 H&H will knock the fuzz out of a sheep
IMG_0044.jpeg
IMG_0051.jpeg
IMG_0170.jpeg
IMG_0165.jpeg
IMG_0386.jpeg

I have 3 barrels for my K 95 Blaser that I use for mountain hunting. A 257 Weatherby firing a 100 gr TTSX at 3600 fps. A 270 Weatherby with a TSX 129 gr at 3400 fps and last a 28 Nosler with a 160 gr Accubond at 3300 fps . Lately I have been working with a 135 gr mono Atomic 29 at 3450 fps. All of these will kill sheep size game at extended ranges though I like to get as close as I can. Considering any sheep hunting these days cost a bucket load of money I would probably consider the 28 Nosler.
Ken

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
23bf2dd024

Latest profile posts

gunslinger1971 wrote on Gray Fox's profile.
Do you still have the Browning 1895 and do you want to sell it? I'm might be interested. If so please let me know and do you have any pictures?

Steve in Missouri
[redacted]
Redfishga1 wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I would be interested in the ruger if the other guy is not.
Bartbux wrote on franzfmdavis's profile.
Btw…this was Kuche….had a great time.
Sorry to see your troubles on pricing.

Happy to call you and talk about experience…I’m also a Minnesota guy.