Best bang for the buck

I just ran some numbers on plane tickets to Africa for next year. What I was seeing was around 1,700 dollars round trip. But those are liable to vary. Either up or down.

Dig around on here and you will find vetted sponsors giving very good deals. I always thought Africa was out of reach too. Then one day decided to see what the cheapest animal I could hunt in Africa was going to cost me. I was blown away at how affordable Africa was once I actually started looking. I have one 14 day safari under my belt and I am going back next year if the good Lord allows it.

If you are more inclined to stay here in the States then look into Rocking G Ranch. Good outfitter in Texas for a getaway. Good people too.

everything but taxidermy you could do a package PG hunt in RSA for around 10k, leaving for my first in 2 days so that's today's estimate, next year who knows.

if you want to talk face to face with a good size of knowable people, attend a SCI dinner this year in your area.

you mentioned filling the freezer a few times, check into if any wester states are offering multiple doe tags in 22 or 23 for deer, elk, or antolope.

The guy wants meat. No point to go to Africa.
Actually he doesn't realize how cost effective it is to hunt RSA over Texas. He was looking at the if he spends the money what does he get out of it. If he flies he will still have an issue/additional costs with getting the meat back.

I have also hunted Africa and killed game from Impala to Cape buff. No longer need to do that as the meat in not easily brought back home and I see no need for another African trophy.

One does not hunt Africa just for the meat or the trophies. It is not a one and done type of experience. Might as well say I had sex, and had a kid so no longer need to do that. ;)

First time I was in Africa, I was in my early teens, I was stricken with it and something about it called to me. My thoughts were once I grow up and ready to retire, this is the place (Rhodesia). Unfortunately, a lot has changed in the intervening 50 years or so, but I do my best to go yearly whenever I can. I had a conversation with my mother last year when I was talking about this year's trip. She asked, "Cumulatively you have spent over two years of your life there, why do you keep going back?". I went by the old cliché "if I have to explain it, you would not understand it.". And added, "because I am alive and can still travel". It is really hard to put it in words.

The guy wants meat. No point to go to Africa.

Actually if he wants meat he just needs to head down to a butcher shop and buy it.

Going out west and crossing his fingers that he will shoot a animal is a crap shoot. Not to mention the draws for the tags if he is looking at a cow elk or doe deer or antelope.

He'll be money ahead.

I think hogs are tough to beat for the best tasting game animal available in Texas but I'm sure I haven't tried them all lol. But a poor, poor substitute for an African hunt. I'm leaving for my first safari in 33 days and its probably more affordable than you think, especially if you are willing to forgo taxidermy. I've seen hunts posted on here for like $1300, I believe it was for zebra and impala. Cull hunts look like they'd be even more affordable.

I think it's only a $1,200 premium to upgrade from Comfort+ to the Premium Select with the larger seats - don't let $1k stand in your way of getting to Africa...

Nilgai in Texas , you can shoot a cow ,great meat, can make a nice rug and relatively inexpensive. If you want some type of deer hook up with Gizmo on this site. He runs some meat specials from time to time.

Nilgai in Texas is the best tasting meat. My wife and kids weren't real big game meat eaters until I brought home a Nilgai. A Nilgai hunt is also very similar to an African plains game hunt. Nilgai are quite large, so you will indeed fill the freezer.

BTW, a Montana elk hunt will likely cost you more that a week long PG hunt in RSA. So don't completely write off the idea of hunting Africa one day.

I’ve seen cow eland in south Texas for around 3500.00 not bad for probably 700 pounds of the 2nd best game meat only behind nilgai. 2020 prices.

That would be a big one, you will only net about 40% of live weight.

Guided oryx hunt in NM is about $2500 last I looked. If you are hunting outside of WSMR you don’t have to wait forever, but your odds of success drop a little bit during the hunt. The elevation might get to you though (5000 ft give or take).

The ones around WSMR are assholes from being bothered by the EOD boys all the time, but there are some good trophies and the scenery is amazing.

I really like to find a good hog hunt, Texas is probably the cheapest but one heck of a drive. Yup I've not been impressed with the hunts I've seen in Florida and up the coast.

We had fun at tioga but don't know how they are these days, the owner back then was a nice guy and prices were fair, tho could geta" trophy" Euro boar for under a grand.

There's one place in pa, it's on a small island on the Susquehanna river. There basically domestic hog they let loose and you shoot them, but last I looked it wasn't much more then if you bought a hog to Slaughter.

He nice to bring my dad on a hunt again, but he has a bad shoulder and the va is giving him the run around.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwbybill

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's
ghay wrote on professor's profile.
Hello,
Would you consider selling just the Barnes 235's and 250g TTSX's?
Hunt27 wrote on Tra3's profile.
Spain, i booked through a consultant, i book almost everything through him now and he's done me right. his contact 724 986 7206 if interested and he will have more info to share,
I hunted elephant with Luke Samaris in 2005. It was my fourth safari and I tell you he is a fine gentleman the best. I got the opportunity to meet Patty Curtis, although never hunted with him but enjoyed our conversation around our tent in the Selous. Very sad for a tough guy to leave this world the way he did. Let’s pray the murderers are caught. I hope to see Luke in Nashville.