Best 1 inch tube variable power scope

Isn't the big advantage of a 30mm tube extra elevation adjustment over a 1"?

Rifle is a Dakota 76 in 300 Dakota magnum, so thinking mid range variables. Light transmission and edge to edge clarity.
For that rifle I’d look at the VX3HD in 4.5-14 in 1” or the VX5HD in 3-15 in 30mm for Leupold. I’m sure the Swarovski Z3 or a Z5 in similar magnification will be great to and probably similarly priced…
I’d still go Leupold but that’s me lol

For that rifle I’d look at the VX3HD in 4.5-14 in 1” or the VX5HD in 3-15 in 30mm for Leupold. I’m sure the Swarovski Z3 or a Z5 in similar magnification will be great to and probably similarly priced…
I’d still go Leupold but that’s me lol
Thanks Chuck, as always.

I know we traditionalist love European glass, but testing has proven them to be very delicate.

I love my 2 Zeiss Scopes...

There is no European glass on any .50 caliber military sniper rifle, that I am aware.

Only 3 makes the durability cut:

1. Nightforce
2. Trijicon
3. SWFA (I can't figure this one out, but...)
European scope on .50 calider:
- Schmidt bender
- Hensoldt
- Khales

I have a 1" Schmidt Bender Summit 2.5 / 10 x 40 on my 300 wby, and it's super clear, dependable, compact, has good eye relief. It is not supposed to be, but IS better than my Zeiss Victory ht in every aspect.
By “ not supposed to be”

Do you mean it’s a cheaper scope that is better than a higher model?

Neither are cheap obviously. Both are good brands

Have used Leupold 1” scopes for years, I now have mostly Z3’s in that application. It’s a no brainer there. I haven’t used the newer Leupold HD scopes.

The Schmidt & Bender 2,5-10x40 is 1”. Unfortunately no longer available new. After that a Swarovski Z3 in various permutations or a Z5 with the option of an illuminated reticle.
Old school choice, Zeisss Diavari-C in 3-9x36.

Have used Leupold 1” scopes for years, I now have mostly Z3’s in that application. It’s a no brainer there. I haven’t used the newer Leupold HD scopes.
I think Tim has recently said similar in another thread about changing to Swarovski

Yep, the CDS dial is the solution to a problem I don't have on the Leupold VX3-HD scopes.
I agree 100%. Many, if not most, hunting applications don’t require dialing in a shot. It’s a cool thing if you need it, but I really wish they would offer non-cds versions.

It hasn’t stopped me from buying them, it’s just unnecessary.

I have a rifle with 1 inch Talley rings that match the finish on the receiver. If I wanted to stick with a one inch tube, what’s the best (clearest/brightest) scope in a mid range variable?

-Swarovski Z3? Leupold VX3HD?

OR…..do I swap to 30 mm rings?
Get some 30mm rings

Swaro Z3 or Z5 with BRH reticle - preferably 36mm bell, if not then the 42mm bell. I prefer my scopes to be bright, easy/fast to use (BRH reticle and not a turret) and mounted low to help with a fast and repeatable cheek weld.

Also a fan of Zeiss or Kahles.

Lots of good options out there but I usually default to swaro

I have used 1" Leupold variables on my hunting rifles for many years and they got the job done, But...

A few years back I started shooting a lot of precision and PRS style rifle competition matches and that exposed me to some really outstanding rifle optics. Bottom line is that my Leupold VX2 3-9x was not all that clear. Does not gather light all that well and could be improved upon. fast forward a few years and I was prepping for a Safari to Africa and was outfitting two rifles for the trip. One was a vintage FN Browning 308 that came to me with a vintage Kuharsky Bros mount that will only fit with some old vintage Weaver and Balvar optics with 1" tubes. These are unique since they zero using adjustments on the mount instead of the optic and as such can be zeroed and moved from one rifle to the next and still hold zero on each rifle. How cool? Well, I took off the old Weaver 2.5-8x and replaced it with an Ebay B&L BalVar 2.5-8x scope. It is old, clunky and obsolete. Difficult to zero precisely but once zeroed, it would take getting hit by an asteroid to disturb it. Plus, that BalVar optic is as clear as they come and does not require re-focusing for changes in the zoom.

My 2nd rifle was another FN Browning 375HH and part of the reason I bought it was that it already came with another Kuharsky mount (but no scope). My plan was to fit it with a 1" LPVO using that mount. Unfortunately, the Leupold 1.5-4x optic had a turret assembly that was just a bit to large to fit the old vintage mounting system. On to plan B. I fitted the #2 rifle with a Browning mount and 1" Leupold steel rings and fitting the 1.5-4x optic on it. All good right? It worked great at the range but I like to field test my equipment before a long travel hunt trip and so, I took it hunting whitetail deer in WV last year. That experience exposed a number of weaknesses in my plan. The 375 was eventually going to be a DG rifle. Early opening day only about 15 min after legal shooting light, I spotted a nice 8pt buck slinking along a bench below my stand. When looking at the deer from only 70y in the dim light, I could not make out the antlers at 1.5x and initially mistook it for a doe. Zooming to 4x corrected my assessment. But the scope just did not provide the clarity in low light to do a great job. I did bag the buck so, it was not a fail but I went home thinking that a better optic was needed before Africa.

I decided that I needed a illuminated reticle to aid in the low light hunting and that for DG I wanted one that could be dialed to a true 1x so that it would function like a red dot for fast, up close action if/when needed. That, drove me to a 30mm tube. There are probably 1" lighted scopes. I dunno but most that I wanted to consider were all 30mm. I ended up buying both a Swarovski Z6i and a Kahles K16i. Both are great optics and while I liked the Kahles the best, the Swarovski fit the rifle better. In Africa on my PG hunt, we spotted a stud Blue Wildebeest alpha bull about 30min before dark and put on a stalk that led to a 160y shot standing on sticks at this bull. It was a frontal shot (not ideal) and with the red dot on, even in the low light conditions, I was able to nail him with the first shot. Afterwards, I knew I had made the correct choice. Some final take aways:

1.) Both the Swaro and the Kahles do not require any external focus adjustment thru the full magnification range. This is a time saver and that is important when hunting.
2.) Red dot is a huge plus and the Swarovski feature of turning off when the rifle is slung on the shoulder is a nice feature.
3.) Some lighted optics are not very bright. Both the Swaro and the Kahles are full dylight bright when turned all the way up.
4.) A good hunting reticle is a plus.
5.) Both the clunky $60 vintage BalVar and the modern lighted $2500 Swarovski performed flawlessly in Africa. I guess the moral of that story is that the price of the optic is not what determines its quality or usefulness.

Pics added for color

Attachments

• Twins.jpg
    Twins.jpg
    707 KB · Views: 3
  • Impala Down.jpg
    Impala Down.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 3
  • World Record Blue Wildebeest.jpg
    World Record Blue Wildebeest.jpg
    948.3 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
I'm really happy with my Swaro Z3's. And I really like the Kahles KX line, if you can still find one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mksportcasa

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on MarcoPani's profile.
Happy Birthday, from Grahamstown, South Africa.
I hope your day is great!
Cheers
Marius
EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on Ilkay Taskin's profile.
Happy Birthday from Grahamstown, South Africa! I hope you have a great day!
Cheers, Marius
idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]