Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Member of
National rifle association
Hunted
United States and Canada
I have a rifle with 1 inch Talley rings that match the finish on the receiver. If I wanted to stick with a one inch tube, what’s the best (clearest/brightest) scope in a mid range variable?

-Swarovski Z3? Leupold VX3HD?

OR…..do I swap to 30 mm rings?

Most durable one inch tube - Trijicon

I love Leupolds, but I've been shown several examples of them not holding zero after being dropped or banged around, and I've even had a few.

If Leupold would go to the effort to make their scopes more rugged, they would be the perfect scope, IMO..

I’m going to try Trijicon for my next 1” scope. I really liked at DSC show. A few years ago I would have said Leupold without question before they went to CDS dials on every scope with better glass. I find Swarovski crosshairs difficult to look through without illumination regardless how good the glass might be.

I’m going to try Trijicon for my next 1” scope. I really liked at DSC show. A few years ago I would have said Leupold without question before they went to CDS dials on every scope with better glass. I find Swarovski crosshairs difficult to look through without illumination regardless how good the glass might be.
Would that be their accupoint line?

I bought a couple of Trijicon Huron 3-9x40mm scopes last year. I haven't mounted them yet, but my son has.

He has had absolutely no problems, and, IMO, he uses them to the point of "abuse."

I use Leupold QD mounts on my DG rifles and have never had problems.

I believe the best scope-only system is to use:

1. Quality "ring mounts" vs separate mounts and rings
2. Acetone to degrease everything prior to mounting
3. Blue Locktite on everything
4. Tighten everything exactly to manufactures specs

I know we traditionalist love European glass, but testing has proven them to be very delicate.

I love my 2 Zeiss Scopes...

There is no European glass on any .50 caliber military sniper rifle, that I am aware.

Only 3 makes the durability cut:

1. Nightforce
2. Trijicon
3. SWFA (I can't figure this one out, but...)

I like 1" scopes. The best one I have is a S&B Summit - 2.5-10 X 40. Crystal clear, tracks properly, rugged. I have several Swarovskis, which also very good.

Ordered a Tract Toric 3-15 X 42mm a 1" scope - promising but it arrives tomorrow, so nothing to report.

I have Leupold in VX3i and VxHD but would like a Swarovski Z3 or Z5

If it’s clarity you are after I think Swarovski will be in the running.

I have Leupold in VX3i and VxHD but would like a Swarovski Z3 or Z5

If it’s clarity you are after I think Swarovski will be in the running.
I have both Leupold and the Swarovski Z3, I do not have a Z5 so can’t speak of it but I believe the glass is the same only a different ocular?
I don’t see a difference in clarity between them and this is coming from an ex Swarovski employee!
All four have great glass and coatings that correct any aberrations and give maximum light transmission
Everyone has there favorite brands and mine are Leupold and Swarovski but the clarity between the two are so close that there are very few that could see the difference…

Rifle is a Dakota 76 in 300 Dakota magnum, so thinking mid range variables. Light transmission and edge to edge clarity.

Vx 3hd is in a class if its own at that price point.

The Swaro z5i is one of the only 1” illuminated scopes you will find. I also consider it a solid step up from the z3.

I'm a fan of the Leupold VX3-HD scopes, winners for sure at the price point. The 2.5-8x36 is kind of my go to, I am running three of them. I get them hot, cold muddy and bang them around have not had a issue with one yet. Also this scope weighs under 12oz. I know most don't care about that but there is nothing else available of comparable quality that is not quite a bit heavier. I love a lightweight rifle for walking around in the woods or mountains. I have this scope on a .308 that weighs 6.5 lbs with scope, rings, sling, silencer and 3 rounds on board!

Yep, the CDS dial is the solution to a problem I don't have on the Leupold VX3-HD scopes.

I'm a fan of the Leupold VX3-HD scopes, winners for sure at the price point. The 2.5-8x36 is kind of my go to, I am running three of them. I get them hot, cold muddy and bang them around have not had an issue with one yet. Also this scope weighs under 12oz. I know most don't care about that but there is nothing else available of comparable quality that is not quite a bit heavier. I love a lightweight rifle for walking around in the woods or mountains. I have this scope on a .308 that weighs 6.5 lbs with scope, rings, sling, silencer and 3 rounds on board!
My favorite scope currently is the VX3HD 2.5x8. I have one on my 30-06. It’s a strong contender for my 300 as well. I just wanted to get more info on Swarovski and Trijicon 1 inch scopes.

My favorite scope currently is the VX3HD 2.5x8. I have one on my 30-06. It’s a strong contender for my 300 as well. I just wanted to get more info on Swarovski and Trijicon 1 inch scopes.
Here is a pic of me and the VX3HD 2.5-8x36. 310 yard shot I made with that scope, see the red dot right in the crease, that is the entry. This was my first shot in Africa and it was a DRT with the .308. I'm like everybody else, I like stuff that works!

black wildebeest.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mksportsmoda

Latest profile posts

EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on MarcoPani's profile.
Happy Birthday, from Grahamstown, South Africa.
I hope your day is great!
Cheers
Marius
EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on Ilkay Taskin's profile.
Happy Birthday from Grahamstown, South Africa! I hope you have a great day!
Cheers, Marius
idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]