Beretta S56E

Beautiful Beretta. I think it would be a shame to “alter” its current configuration, particularly since (as recommended) a properly fit model or a 28ga could make more sense. Unfamiliar with that model, does it have fixed chokes??
Another thing to consider for versatility would be removable chokes.

Sometimes the lowest recoiling shotgun is a 12 gauge, not a 16-20-28. The larger bores tend to be heavier guns. The heavier guns can still shoot diminished loads and target loads of very moderate recoil.

Generally, larger bore guns cost considerably less than small bore guns, so there is also the valuable proposition of getting a better gun for your money by settling with a 12 or 20 vs a 16-28-.410.

They are alright. At about $450 for the one you're looking at, thats a good deal. They usually go $600-$800 over here, perhaps by uniformed buyers starry eyed by the name.

The good:

-Fairly well made
-Cheap
-Somewhat reliable

The Bad:

-Not proofed for steel
-Fixed chokes
-They do not interoperate with 680 / 686 / 687 parts, so the service and repair reputation of Berettas does not apply

If it were me, I would find some eley or gamebore subsonic target loads with 24g of powder, and I would chop 1" from the stock. At 13", it will be a bit long, and it will have a plastic/wood butt plate. However, the recoil for a small person will be reasonable. When the person grows, you can add a 1" pad to get the gun back to 14" for future use.

I would not cut the gun down 2-3" because there will be so little stock remaining, the pad will be very small and the recoil will intensify over the smaller surface area.

The plan was to let my wife start with 24g loads. I know how little they recoil.

Luckily steel is not an issue at all in SA, so I’m not to bothered about that.

Unfortunately Samantha is really small, and an inch would not be enough. I agree more wood taken off would increase the perceived recoil over the smaller surface area.

At the age of 37 she is not going to grow into the gun any more…

The gun really did not cost much, so I will hunt with it, as well as with my Miroku 3700, and I have made peace with the fact that we will travel to Pretoria and Johannesburg later this year to find her a small 20 gauge that fits her petite size.

I have not measured what her correct LOP would be, but I think the two pictures will Illustrate that no amount of surgery to the gun is going to result in a well fitting, well balanced shotgun for her. The fore-end is also to big for her hand to properly grip, and the pistolgrip to open for her small hands to reach the front trigger

It’s also not a bad thing to have a spare gun that a friend could use on a hunt or an informal clay pigeon shoot

IMG_2604.JPG

IMG_2605.JPG

When shooting my old Tikka M695 6,5x55 she just comes right with the LOP, but obviously that is much easier over a rest at a stationary target.

445.JPG

I have not measured what her correct LOP would be, but I think the two pictures will Illustrate that no amount of surgery to the gun is going to result in a well fitting, well balanced shotgun for her. The fore-end is also to big for her hand to properly grip, and the pistolgrip to open for her small hands to reach the front trigger

It’s also not a bad thing to have a spare gun that a friend could use on a hunt or an informal clay pigeon shoot

View attachment 560448
View attachment 560449

When shooting my old Tikka M695 6,5x55 she just comes right with the LOP, but obviously that is much easier over a rest at a stationary target.

View attachment 560451

It looks approximately 1.25" to 1.5" long. It looks like the comb drop will improve at that length. I fear if you cut it down to correct length of pull past that, the drops will be too high and she'll shoot over birds/clays. They are hollow stocked with a through bolt, so you really don't want to mess with the comb if you can help it.

It looks approximately 1.25" to 1.5" long. It looks like the comb drop will improve at that length. I fear if you cut it down to correct length of pull past that, the drops will be too high and she'll shoot over birds/clays. They are hollow stocked with a through bolt, so you really don't want to mess with the comb if you can help it.

Thank you for the response. I have made peace that there is not going to be an ideal practical solution involving this gun. Even if I alter it for her, it is not nearly going to be ideal, and it is going to render it useless for most potential buyers or other shooters.

Thank you for the response. I have made peace that there is not going to be an ideal practical solution involving this gun. Even if I alter it for her, it is not nearly going to be ideal, and it is going to render it useless for most potential buyers or other shooters.

At the price you paid, does it matter? Deface it however you deem fit to suit your spouse. You paid nearly nothing and its a finer built gun than even your Miroku.

For R600 you can add an adjustable comb if your bride wants it to be a trap/skeet/clays gun, but for purposes of wingshooting, I think we can just shorten it a bit for her and you can get on with killing Doves and Spurfowl straight away!

I am only 5’7” tall and the Beretta 686 I used for years for sporting clays was the factory length. Worked fine for me. I almost never used heavier than 1 oz loads even for pheasants. Always over a dog on point though.
I shoot a fairly light AyA #2 upland hunting now (and for 20+ years) and still do fine using 7/8 and 1 oz loads.
So you might try to use lighter loads for her. JME&O
Congratulations having a young lady interested in shooting with you!

At the price you paid, does it matter? Deface it however you deem fit to suit your spouse. You paid nearly nothing and its a finer built gun than even your Miroku.

For R600 you can add an adjustable comb if your bride wants it to be a trap/skeet/clays gun, but for purposes of wingshooting, I think we can just shorten it a bit for her and you can get on with killing Doves and Spurfowl straight away!

For what I paid for it I can cut it of and make a coach gun…

It might be worth considering. I will visit the 3 or 4 competent gunsmiths in SA and get quotes on the necessary work depending on that versus a new 20 gauge she might just get one for Christmas.

Regarding the Miroku, the Beretta is about on par with the Miroku made in 1981. Definitely better engraved than most blackened receiver Miroku field guns Ive seen, and the fit and finish doesn’t stand back for most B25s out their. Solid field gun with effort going into the aesthetics.

IMG_0929.jpg

IMG_9796.jpg

IMG_9791.jpg

IMG_9790.jpg

IMG_9789.jpg

IMG_9788.jpg

IMG_9785.jpg

IMG_9783.jpg

IMG_9782.jpg

I am only 5’7” tall and the Beretta 686 I used for years for sporting clays was the factory length. Worked fine for me. I almost never used heavier than 1 oz loads even for pheasants. Always over a dog on point though.
I shoot a fairly light AyA #2 upland hunting now (and for 20+ years) and still do fine using 7/8 and 1 oz loads.
So you might try to use lighter loads for her. JME&O
Congratulations having a young lady interested in shooting with you!

Your AyA #2 is an extremely fine gun. Thank you, yes I was very fortunate that she was familiar with hunting when we started dating, and within a few years she started hunting with me, first only accompanying me on trips and later drawing blood herself. She is never going to be the most avid huntress in the world, but she certainly lets me know in no uncertain terms when the chest freezer is half empty and we need to book a hunting weekend away.

343.jpg

451.jpg

849.jpg

She usually hunts with my 6,5x55, but on the blesbuck she wanted to try out the .375 Ruger, doing 2500 fps with 300gr Woodleigh PP’s. Not bad for a girl of her size. To my pup’s disappointment he only left him about a 20m blood trail…

The past posts cover the bases about trying to fit her with the current shotgun
I would advise that the two of you go on a "Get the Girl A Gun Trip" let her try the different types of shotguns on the market in RSA. If SHE finds one that she likes buy it.
Then tell her happy what ever (insert Birthday, Christmas, what ever day) day.

The past posts cover the bases about trying to fit her with the current shotgun
I would advise that the two of you go on a "Get the Girl A Gun Trip" let her try the different types of shotguns on the market in RSA. If SHE finds one that she likes buy it.
Then tell her happy what ever (insert Birthday, Christmas, what ever day) day.

I suspect to the detriment of my credit card that is the best advise yet, and exactly what will happen during the year. Buy the way it is her birthday today, 30 September, so we will aim for Christmas with our lengthy licensing process in RSA.

I suspect to the detriment of my credit card that is the best advise yet, and exactly what will happen during the year. Buy the way it is her birthday today, 30 September, so we will aim for Christmas with our lengthy licensing process in RSA.
Happy Birthday to your misses.
Since she did such a good job on that blesbuck, with your 375 Ruger, she deserves a proper fitting, quality shotgun.

Just too bad it takes you folks in RSA such a long time to get a license to buy a firearm.

A lot of fitting depends on shooting style, type of shooting and bias of the shooter/fitter. If an American fits me for a shotgun, I am usually 3/4 of an inch shorter than if a Brit does it. I rather the longer LOP.

If she grows to like shooting clay targets then you could have a good shotgun stock maker in RSA to custom fit a shotgun of her choice. Also a recoil reducer can be installed in the stock IF she needs it. Of course it will cost a bit more than cutting the stock off from your Beretta.

Happy Birthday to your misses.
Since she did such a good job on that blesbuck, with your 375 Ruger, she deserves a proper fitting, quality shotgun.

Thank you very much. Yes the search will begin in all seriousness this October.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fairyrock

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]