Bear Broadhead Choice

Lungshot202

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
Zimbabwe, SA, CO, AZ
Hello, for hunting Black Bear, can I use mechanical broadheads which I usually use, or should I use fixed blades broadheads for penetration. It will be in September so their fur might not be as thick.

I switched to 2 blade stinger broadheads this year. Only because going on an elk hunt but will be my only broadhead going forward. Shoots awesome and if you go down a rabbit hole online you'll see alot of people pro-two blade for penetration. Let you know how my september elk hunt goes. Throwing some through pigs next weekend to test them out.

Rage in the cage - the blood trail is key and a rage will make em bleed

i've shot mechanicals for last 6 years without any issues. That said, im not trying to introduce an unnecisary potential issues to my hunts. Anything mechanical can fail. I get similar to fieldtip flight with my 2 blade stinger which removes any benefit my mechanical was giving me

Fixed blade. Thunderheads, G, even big 2-blade Zwikies. smh at all the losses friends incurred using mechanicals over the years. 'Tracked 1 big buck with a mechanical partially penetrating the near shouulder-it poked at 1 lung as the deer ran 1 mi in the dark, laid down...and we found it the next day. Fixed would've went through both shoulders (and this is a 200 lb deer we're talking about.) Bear are more stoutly constructed (up to 880 lbs around here-would NEVER consider it.) Good luck!

I would use Slick Tricks.
They fly true, are all steel, super sharp, and very tough. I used 125 Slick Tricks for two elk, and Viper Tricks for a big bison, so I guess they can work very well for even a big bear.

I use fixed blades myself.

I like 2-blade vented 125 gr. VPA Penetrators and Magnus Stinger 4-blade 125 gr. Broadheads. Both BH's fly true and perform well.

lungshot,

if your broad heads are very sharp and your shot placement is broadside/double lung and spot on, it wont matter a lot which broad head you use.

if you take a angle/quartering shot, hit some bones, are off a bit etc, then it is going to matter about your arrow weight and broad head type.

i have shot several black bears with a 2 blade head that was in hindsight, not as sharp as it should have been, with a 65# longbow. not one ran more than 70 yards. all were good double lung hits. as always, shot placement is the key.

the 2 blade and single bevel will penetrate better than mechanical or multi blade.

what is still funny to me: a guy is REQUIRED to use a 2 blade when hunting cape buffalo and that is considered plenty, but we need to use all kinds of "interesting" broad heads when shooting a deer, or black bear......hmmmm.

"what is still funny to me: a guy is REQUIRED to use a 2 blade when hunting cape buffalo and that is considered plenty, but we need to use all kinds of "interesting" broad heads when shooting a deer, or black bear......hmmmm."

Amen !!!!!~

Grizzlystik forged 315 grain broadheads, work on cape buffalo and the like, should penetrate well on a bear even with a poor angle when making follow up shots.

two fixed blades with single bevel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HuldaCash

Latest profile posts

T/C wrote on Dewald's profile.
Hi Dewald,
I am looking for a copy of Wright's "Shooting the British Double Rifle" (3E).
Please PM me (T/C) if you still have one.
Thank you very much in advance!!!
I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg