Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Cleveland Gun Club
Hunted
Zimbabwe, SouthAfrica
These days there are so many reasons to feel anger, disappointment and frustration. I am not even going to list them, the object of this thread is not to get your blood up even more, but to give you some relief, as I have found. The biblical part of it is easy to read, but hard to get to grips with. It says ‘be still and know that I am God’.
Now to the practical side: the beautiful creation is I believe what He is talking about, and there is no better place than to find peace interacting with it with as little humanity involved as possible. For me that means hunting, preparing for a hunt, daydreaming about it, finally doing it, and then the memories. I find peace and joy in opening AH and reading wisdom and shared memories from you all. Finding anything about double rifles, especially with a few pictures thrown in calms me way down.
What is it about our sport that brings out the best of life for you?

These days there are so many reasons to feel anger, disappointment and frustration. I am not even going to list them, the object of this thread is not to get your blood up even more, but to give you some relief, as I have found. The biblical part of it is easy to read, but hard to get to grips with. It says ‘be still and know that I am God’.
Now to the practical side: the beautiful creation is I believe what He is talking about, and there is no better place than to find peace interacting with it with as little humanity involved as possible. For me that means hunting, preparing for a hunt, daydreaming about it, finally doing it, and then the memories. I find peace and joy in opening AH and reading wisdom and shared memories from you all. Finding anything about double rifles, especially with a few pictures thrown in calms me way down.
What is it about our sport that brings out the best of life for you?
Great thought provoking post! I am contemplating an appropriate, honest reply.

The best part for me is really looking forward to and seeing somewhere new. Hunting puts a focus on being outdoors and causes me to take in more than I would just as a casual tourist. I really enjoy learning something new from all the people I hunt with as well.

The camaraderie of the men and women here that have some the same thoughts and likes that I do.
It's a calming and peace that I find in the commonality here from the various people from all over the world.

Image1694431135.854364.jpg

This picture says it better than I can manage with words. Taken from our boat on a bear hunt in Alaska.

The thought of people genuinely interested, and caring about each other. Especially each of us on this wonderful Forum, and other Forum's as well, caring & sharing our like interests with one another. We're more like friends or family, not just "an individual person, or persons". I value what I learn, read & see from you all! I sincerely appreciate each and every one of you, and you sharing your life with me.

this is probably going to sound strange but...

hard work is what brings me the most calm...

I spent my younger years in much more physical professions.. the latter half of my career has mostly been spent behind a desk staring at spreadsheets, making phone calls, attending meetings, and sending emails.. I spend a ton of my time with my mind racing, trying to figure out simple solutions to complex problems, dealing with "people issues", or "customer issues", or "regulatory issues", etc..etc..

I find that getting away from all of that and working up a good sweat is wonderful for my soul and finding some inner peace sometimes..

nothing makes me feel more at peace than taking on hard physical tasks that require me to maintain focus, but dont really require me to "think" much.. like chopping firewood for the deer camp fire pit.. or clearing out shooting lanes between feed sites and stands with a machete in preparation for hunting season beginning.. or hauling a couple of thousand pounds of feed around and loading 50lb bags into feeders all day, etc..

I dont get into a rush.. and none of my typical pre-season hunting chores require much thought.. they just require a good bit of sweat (sometimes a little bit of blood), and a 4-8 hour window of time 3-4 times a year..

Ive got a "work party" planned this weekend at the place I most often deer hunt.. just me and 2 other guys that hunt there will be present.. camp, which normally hosts 15-20 people on any given weekend during deer season will largely be empty and pretty quiet during the day.. the plan is to head down friday afternoon after work, sit by the fire with a couple of good friends, enjoy a nice drink or two, then go to bed early... get up on Saturday at the crack of dawn and bust our asses physically all day long to prep camp for the season.. we've got some minor plumbing issues to fix, a few rotten boards on the lodge patio that need to be replaced, a ton of firewood to unload from a trailer and to chop, several feeders that need to be filled, several blinds that could use a little touch up paint, etc.. once we've busted our collective butts all day getting things ready, we'll have a nice dinner meal cooked over the camp fire, grab our rifles, and then see if we cant take a hog or two Saturday night.. we'll bed down in camp after that, wake up early on Sunday and head back home..

Ive been looking forward to this "work party" and all the back and leg pain I know its going to bring me with glee for the past 60 days that we have been planning it.. by Sunday my batteries will be recharged and I'll be ready to plug away at spreadsheets again..

I joined this site in a direct effort to connect with like minded hunting guys and gals. I find it very relaxing and then exciting to read and share experiences! Even better when they are glorified 'fish' tales of granger and greatness! Life is simply to short to be mad so yes lets carry on and enjoy each others input, prospective and stories!

Apologies for the picture format. Kevin, here is my double rife that I always carry. As a young boy, I didn't have the opportunity to hunt like I do today. I guess I was a mental traveler: reading all the books and articles about experiences I thought I never would have the opportunity to enjoy. Providence has allowed me to do some of these things. When I look at this rifle, it reminds me of how fortunate I am.
IMG_1931.jpg

My wife calls it my "therapy." When, I go hunting, to the local gun shop, shooting at the range, fishing, retreat to the outdoors it is my therapy. I probably won't need a professional therapist till I cannot participant in this sport any longer. There is something sacred and renewing about God's creation.

More hunting and less news keeps me calm!

No hang on, that looks like a Greener cross bolt, please tell us a bit about your double.
I had the rifle made for me, as I mentioned, in 2020. I'm pretty particular about who the gun vs the firm or name that builds the gun. I met with the actioner(?) barrel maker and the other trades that would be working on it. I wanted simple rose and scroll / color case hardening, 13 #s. I had the gun fit as I do my shotguns. I want to be able to shoot a moving target with my eyes on the target vs the front sight. I know this may be too much information but the balance of the gun and printability is key. I still shoot box birds and Olympic Trap, so I guess I come from the fit side vs the decorative side.
I hope this makes sense.

No it's not. Was made 2020 in California. BTW spend quite a bit of time in Harare; have friends there now. (They used to farm in Bendura.) Would like to meet some time if schedules permit.
For sure let’s meet, let me know when next you are here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Michaellucas

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!

Hyde Hunter wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
which East Cape Taxidermist are you referring to? I had Lauriston do my work not real happy with them. oh thanks for the advise on the mount hangers a few months ago. Jim
jimbo1972 wrote on Bwaybuilder's profile.
Great to do business with