Barnes TSX Vs Nosler Partition 308

I don’t mean to stir the pot, but….
Have used Barnes TSX on my 7mm in the past with success. Ive been shooting the 165gr TSX’s out of my suppressed 308 and it’s shooting damn good. However, I’ve been told that the tsx will not do well as the 308 is lower velocity. Will I have a problem with the TSX at closer ranges if I dont shoot bone? Should I just go partition? If I go partition do I go 180gr? This rifle will be mostly used on hunts where I can expect to shoot from 50-300yds, anything farther and I have the 7mm with a turret. Which do you North American guys prefer?
I used 180 grain Partitions in my .30-06 on my on my first safari. They worked well, but I've switched to 165 grain AccuBonds. Equally tough, accurate, fly a little flatter, and things seem to stop happening very fast when you shoot something.

I don’t mean to stir the pot, but….
Have used Barnes TSX on my 7mm in the past with success. Ive been shooting the 165gr TSX’s out of my suppressed 308 and it’s shooting damn good. However, I’ve been told that the tsx will not do well as the 308 is lower velocity. Will I have a problem with the TSX at closer ranges if I dont shoot bone? Should I just go partition? If I go partition do I go 180gr? This rifle will be mostly used on hunts where I can expect to shoot from 50-300yds, anything farther and I have the 7mm with a turret. Which do you North American guys prefer?
My son and I have both hunted extensively with the 7mm Mag with 160g TSX. I would not shoot any other bullet myself. From African game to Mongolian Ibex to anything in Texas it has worked flawlessly.

My son and I have both hunted extensively with the 7mm Mag with 160g TSX. I would not shoot any other bullet myself. From African game to Mongolian Ibex to anything in Texas it has worked flawlessly.
I also use tsx out of my 7mm but with lower velocity on 308 I guess that changes things

Damn, so I wonder why people say you need to shoot bone
Someone like me that called the Barnes factory when they first introduced the X bullet and was assured by the company of reliable expansion all the way down to 1600 FPS.
My brief field experience with the EARLY Barnes X was less than positive.

I also use tsx out of my 7mm but with lower velocity on 308 I guess that changes things
The 168 ttsx is made for the 308.
Shoot both On paper and in a ballistic gel or wet news papers.
Either bullet will do the job.
You just need to decide

I use the TTSX almost exclusively on stuff I’m going to eat; no lead in the meat. They are accurate, reliable killers: .308 150, 300WM 180.

My daughter and I have used Barnes TSX bullets extensively and to a lesser degree the TTSX as well. Since I began using the TSX in 2008 I have personally killed well over 100 animals with it in North America and Africa. Between by daughter and I Coyotes, Pronghorn, Mule Deer, Whitetails, Elk, Moose, and Sheep have fallen to the TSX. In Africa I have killed Jackal to Buffalo with the TSX, Impala to Eland. This bullet DOES NOT FAIL. Period.

In Africa my daughter used a Kimber 308 and Barnes 165 grain TSX to kill Warthog, Blesbok, Kudu x 2, Gemsbok, and Zebra. No issues.

No bullet will compensate for poor shooting but the ability to RETAIN WEIGHT and PENETRATE DEEPLY increase the odds of a good outcome.

I have been a veterinarian for 35 years. I have explored almost every wound channel in almost every animal I have shot or seen shot. Nothing is guaranteed in hunting, but the TSX comes close.

I still use other bullets; I refuse to use monos in antique doubles, for example, so I do have other examples to compare. But all things being equal I will take a TSX.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
safarifurniture

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

3 Wake Ups and South Africa Bound!
SETH RINGER wrote on Altitude sickness's profile.
I'LL TAKE THE BOOKS IF THEY ARE NOT SOLD. NO ?? ASKED
Hififile324 wrote on Charliehorse's profile.
Hi Charles, thanks for your interest in the .375 Ammo, Components and dies. Feel free to call or text [redacted]. Email [redacted]
Kudu2025 wrote on stk's profile.
I will take that Sako .375 if it is still available