Barnes TSX Vs Nosler Partition 308

I'm not sold on the barnes penitration being better, I've seen so may deer hit with the copper and the bullet is on under the hid on the farside. The slowest kills I've seen on deer where from barnes style bullets even if driven fast. Unfortunately I think very soon here in New York we will be forced to use none lead ammo, I've been seeing little hints the last few year most so last year there paying you up to $60 a box of ammo if you use lead free.
I like Barnes but I stay with bullets I have confidence in. They are much more finicky than lead core bullets. From my 300 win I’ve had better performance with 150 gr than 180 gr. I actually question the 180 TSX now because I recovered them when I should not have. With my 270, again 110 gr had a more dramatic effect on deer than 130 gr. With my 223, 55 gr TSX has been unbelievable on groundhogs comparable to any varmit bullet as you watch the shock from the energy as they get hit. Lead core perform similar with most bullets. All copper do better when light and pushed fast I find and some bullets just do better than others for reasons I can’t explain like the 223 55 gr TSX. Try a few more.

This topic has been discussed plenty. First, I always favor a bullet that goes where you want it to. Assuming we’ve got that figured out, these days I strongly favor Barnes over NP. With TTSX, I would generally recommend shooting through the shoulder, not behind. With a .308 it’s maybe not as bad, but with high velocities at close range, partitions destroy half the animal. TTSX makes a hole, but you can generally still salvage the shoulders.

A call to Barnes might verify this, but I don’t think they use the same alloy for all caliber/weight combinations. .416 bullets, for example, usually impact at a lower velocity (2400 fps) than most .257 bullets (3000+ fps). I think they take that into account, and that’s also probably why they offer both a 165 and 168gr option in .308.

Added: Barnes says their .308” 165 TSX/TTSX needs 1800 fps to reliably expand and the 168 TSX/TTSX needs only 1500 fps to expand.

E0AE2192-4C95-440A-937D-3DD885B4D809.jpeg
2E514B6C-3CDA-475B-BF6C-CAB3916F705B.jpeg
308 win. 50 yards. 168gr ttsx. 2650fps mv

What animals are you shooting? I don't see that you state what you are looking to hunt with the TSX bullets.

If it's just US soft skin game I would personally not use TSX I would select a TTSX or just a regular soft point bullet. In .308 I would not go any heavier than 150gn, the 150gn TTSX works well for whitetail deer or even step down to the 130gn TTSX, a little extra velocity helps these bullets expand well. All of the Barnes TSX and TTSX bullets in all calibers that I have tried shoot well for me. I am a big fan of the TSX but for tougher, bigger heavier animals. We took 3 buffalo with TSX in Africa recently, it was a great bullet for this use.

Another brand of bullets that I have been hunting with recently are Maker bullets, they are similar to the Barnes TTSX. Maker have a tipped T-Rex bullet that I have found super effective in soft skin animals, the 130gn tipped bullets in a .308 give quite a hard knock down but also come with some carcass damage!

If you stick with the TSX 165gn in .308 I don't think you will get great expansion and recommend that you shoot for bone in soft skin animals.

For me Nosler Partitions are a good selection for heavier game such as elk or bear, I would not shoot deer with partitions as there does not seem to be any advantage to use such a quality / expensive bullet.

In reality any of these bullets will knock down any US soft skin animals. Good luck with your hunting.
North American game, but I come from 7mm magnum. I’m switching to 308 for midsize big game and will be bear hunting here within a couple months

I see no reason to use non-bonded cup and core bullets any more. The partition design isn't bad, but the a-frame is an improvement on the design.

It's either bonded lead bullets or mono-metal bullets for me these days.

Damn, so I wonder why people say you need to shoot bone
They feel that the barnes are harder to get to expand. I use ttsx bullets in my 30cals and have not experienced those issues. The tsx is the ones I hear most people complain about on opening.
I would suggest accuracy testing your bullets followed by a wet newspaper test or ballistic jelly. Some one in this thread recommended a trash can with wet news paper. That sounds like a great idea.
But I recommend your own testing if nothing more for peace of mind.

I've taken at least 30 plains game animals using my .308 with Barnes TSX and TTSX ammo. For thin skin animals, is there a better bullet than the Barnes, perhaps, but the Barnes have served me very well.

Barnes TSX and TTSX work well in the vitals. Heart, heart - lung, double lung, neck shot, thin or thick skinned. Croc, Buff, Eland, Elk, Impala, bush pig, Warthog, Coyote, Black tail, break ribs. Longest shot was on a black impala at 380 yards…

Barnes TSX and TTSX work well in the vitals. Heart, heart - lung, double lung, neck shot, thin or thick skinned. Croc, Buff, Eland, Elk, Impala, bush pig, Warthog, Coyote, Black tail, break ribs. Longest shot was on a black impala at 380 yards…
It’s just confusing because everyone says go ttsx not tsx

TTSX has better BC and the plastic tip helps initiate expansion supposedly. The 168 ttsx will open at the slowest speed and has a good BC, according to Barnes the 168TTSX was intended for the 308 win. I have used tsx bullets in 30-06, 223, and 308. I personally have never had a issue with expansion with any of them. I use the TTSX because of increased BC. The previous picture I posted was is of a Deer I shot with a 168 ttsx. Standing broad side about 50 yards. No bone hit except for maybe a rib. Pass though with enough expansion to pull lung tissue out with the bullet. Deer ran 30 yards and collapsed. Good blood trail I can look for more pictures but I have never had a issue with barnes. Then again I never had a issue with nosler partitions, seirra gamekings , corelocs etc. Only problem I ever had was with some bullets blowing up at closer range with a fast bullet. (270 win 130gr sst shoulder blade of a doe at 75 yards. Recovered needed another shot. Bullet exploded on the shoulder didnt penertrate. I was trying to anchor her right there)
My point is most any modern bullet will work. Shoot what you like and have confidence in. Think ford, dodge chevrolet truck debate.
My favorite 308 load is, Lapua brass, CCI BR2 primer, varget powder and 168 ttsx. I get really good groups out of a factory rem700 that I am not very nice to. But I have really good loads using nosler partions also, and if I could get them more readily I would shoot more of them.

Yeeeep.....like a backside orifice....everyone has their own opinions and their own experiences as to what bullet(s) works best....out of their respective firearm on respective game.

That's why reloaders reluctant to advertise their recipes and when they do share their recipes there is always a given or implied warning to start below and work up.

Because not all firearms are the same. Even from the same manufacturer. That is why the term "1 in 1000" was coined. Because only 1 firearm per 1000 of the same firearms produced is the most perfect for more random shooters. And the term " Indian Trade Gun" as being the worst guns ever produced by the manufacturers.

For those that don’t reload or don't want to reload and are held at the mercy of ammo manufacturers it is recommended to purchase at least 2 boxes preferably 4 or more boxes of the same lot number of ammo. Use what is required to set sights and/or scope, do at least some range practice, hunt with what's left and repeat, in prep as the next hunting season(s) approaches.

This is going to upset a few on here. Keep It Simple. Forget the light for caliber and heavy for caliber stuff. Forget their are better calibers,better bullets stuff.

A good 150, 165/168, grain bullet is all you need to kill typical PG out to 300 yards.

For 308 start with 1 box from 3 or 4 different manufactures. Go to the range. Don't worry about adjusting your scope. Just hold the crosshairs in the center of the dot each time you shoot. Fire 3 to 5 rounds, mark them, evaluate your group, and repeat until you have tested each box of factory ammo. Look at your target or targets and evaluate which ammo manufacturer bullet preformed the best for you. Now you know what ammo your gun likes. Buy 3 or more boxes (make sure these new boxes have the same lot number) based on the amount of time you are going to spend practicing, the number of animals you are going to hunt plus a few extra rounds in case your scope gets knocked out of alignment.

Be Confident With Your Firearm and Ammunition. Go out and enjoy.
Happy Hunting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xiaoxiao22A.!~

Latest profile posts

expoB wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
Total con artist! Bradley Joseph Clemens!
expoB wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
Regarding Senga Senga. Brad Clemens. Do your research with him. He owes people money…took deposits, no hunt! Two words, for anyone who wants to hire him…..background check. His character shows and this character follows every aspect of his life. Not to be trusted at all!
Grandpa Moose wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
Thanks for the advice/help. Hope the kids get a good plug from my mis post. Rain like crazy here
swag05 wrote on Inline6's profile.
Is the Americas still available? Does it have wheels? I am interested
matt2H wrote on matt vejar's profile.
Hey there Matt - i would love to understand some more about your bringing trophies home from South Africa in your checked luggage. My PH is holding onto a bushbuck euro and flatskin for me - and i am due back in South Africa in just over a week. He does have the export permit provided by the taxidermist for me. When you have a moment - could we go through the EDC Form and App? Looking forward to hearing from you.