Barnes TSX Vs Nosler Partition 308

7MAG

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
I don’t mean to stir the pot, but….
Have used Barnes TSX on my 7mm in the past with success. Ive been shooting the 165gr TSX’s out of my suppressed 308 and it’s shooting damn good. However, I’ve been told that the tsx will not do well as the 308 is lower velocity. Will I have a problem with the TSX at closer ranges if I dont shoot bone? Should I just go partition? If I go partition do I go 180gr? This rifle will be mostly used on hunts where I can expect to shoot from 50-300yds, anything farther and I have the 7mm with a turret. Which do you North American guys prefer?

I'm not sold on the barnes penitration being better, I've seen so may deer hit with the copper and the bullet is on under the hid on the farside. The slowest kills I've seen on deer where from barnes style bullets even if driven fast. Unfortunately I think very soon here in New York we will be forced to use none lead ammo, I've been seeing little hints the last few year most so last year there paying you up to $60 a box of ammo if you use lead free.

Take a look at the Cutting Edge FB Raptor for the .308. They do recommend a 1-12 barrel twist though. They worked great in my 1–10 twist barrel

I got devastating results on Impala with the 100 grain Raptors out of the .308 I’ve heard the same report on Whitetails.

I’ve used both Partition and Barnes TSX and TTSX on dozens of animals each. I love Barnes and shoot them in everything from .22-250 to .375H&H -350 Grain, and they work flawlessly. I have partitions loaded in my 7MM REM MAG and will use them on Elk or deer if I needed to.

I love my 7MM but haven’t hunted with it in a few years. I may take it to Sonora for Mule deer in November.

Nothing wrong with a .308 either.
I have one. And a 300 WBY, and a 300 RUM, and several other 30 Cal…

Use the rifle in the Cal you shoot the most accurately and practice to perfection.

We have killed a bunch of white tail, several elk, 1 kudu, and other plains game with both 150 grain partitions and 150 grain TTSX. Most animals run 50 to 100 yards. TTSX leaves a better blood trail for sure. All of these kills were less than 100 yards. Happy hunting.

Horses for courses.

IMO - With the advent of more modern bullet designs with better straight line penetration and consistent mushrooming, the NP and similar designs have been regulated to target ammo.

About the only situation in Africa I would consider using a NP is for leopard. Even then, I’ve had several PH’s recommend the Swift A-Frame for this and know several people who have used the TSX with good success.

My choice for .30 caliber bullets is the 165 grain TTSX, but I’m using a 300WM. I don’t believe the difference in the ballistics between that and a 308W are significant enough to warrant changing from the TTSX design.

If not the Barnes, there are several other premium options like the Swift A-Frame, Norma Oryx and Federal Terminal Ascent to choose from that exceed the performance of the NP at 308W velocities.

Last edited:
I have used both and had great success with both on PG and NA game. As you know these are two different designs - the TSX has preformed quite well at higher velocities - I had zero issues and bullet performed as expected. I have not shot anything with a TSX past 300 but would not hesitate - I would think where you could run into expansion issues is below 1,700-1,800 fps - obviously the yardage in which you drop below that depends on your cartridge and load.
The NP has never failed me either but I do on occasion run into challenges with getting sub MOA groupings at distance (200+). Personally I don’t see the NP as the ideal bullet for longer distances but I am usually shooting it 200 yards or less.
I’ve messed with a lot of different bullets, in different calibers and different speeds. If you’re getting good results with the TSX in your 7mm - I’d stick with it and call it a day.
Your 308 should do well with a 150/165 out to 400-500 as well - just looked at the ballistics chart and don’t see any issues. You might want to look up 180 gr .308 velocities and see if it looks good

Last edited:
Have used Barnes TSX on my 7mm in the past with success. Ive been shooting the 165gr TSX’s out of my suppressed 308 and it’s shooting damn good. However, I’ve been told that the tsx will not do well as the 308 is lower velocity. Will I have a problem with the TSX at closer ranges if I dont shoot bone? Should I just go partition? If I go partition do I go 180gr? This rifle will be mostly used on hunts where I can expect to shoot from 50-300yds, anything farther and I have the 7mm with a turret. Which do you North American guys prefer?

The 168gr Barnes is designed for most 308 twist rates and will generally perform a little better than the 165 which is what I use in my 300 H&H..

My wife and I have taken quite literally hundreds of animals ranging from pigs, deer, an elk, I’d guess 20 different plains game species ranging from springbok to wildebeest and zebra.. all with a 308 shooting Barnes 168gr TSX or ttsx..

For then past 18 months or so I’ve been shooting that same 308 suppressed..

The load I use is moderate for a 308.. about 2700 fps at the muzzle..

Animals we have taken have been at distances ranging between 40-250 yards…

We have had zero problems with bullet performance… everything has died and everything has gone down in very short order..

Our success with Barnes in 308 is predominantly the reason I now load Barnes for just about every caliber in my safe now… high velocity stuff like my 300h&h love Barnes as do my moderate velocity guns like my 416 Taylor… I load them for my 30-06, 270, 35 whelen, etc etc etc…

I’ve used both Partition and Barnes TSX and TTSX on dozens of animals each. I love Barnes and shoot them in everything from .22-250 to .375H&H -350 Grain, and they work flawlessly. I have partitions loaded in my 7MM REM MAG and will use them on Elk or deer if I needed to.

I love my 7MM but haven’t hunted with it in a few years. I may take it to Sonora for Mule deer in November.

Nothing wrong with a .308 either.
I have one. And a 300 WBY, and a 300 RUM, and several other 30 Cal…

Use the rifle in the Cal you shoot the most accurately and practice to perfection.
When using the tsx, are you shoulder shooting them or heart/lings. I’ve been told they will not expand well if you’re just shooting vitals

When using the tsx, are you shoulder shooting them or heart/lings. I’ve been told they will not expand well if you’re just shooting vitals

I’m not @NIGHTHAWK but I can advise with NA game I typically shoot behind the shoulder and go for a heart/lung shot.. with PG I typically shoot “on the shoulder”…

I’ve had no expansion problems in either scenario…

The 168gr Barnes is designed for most 308 twist rates and will generally perform a little better than the 165 which is what I use in my 300 H&H..

My wife and I have taken quite literally hundreds of animals ranging from pigs, deer, an elk, I’d guess 20 different plains game species ranging from springbok to wildebeest and zebra.. all with a 308 shooting Barnes 168gr TSX or ttsx..

For then past 18 months or so I’ve been shooting that same 308 suppressed..

The load I use is moderate for a 308.. about 2700 fps at the muzzle..

Animals we have taken have been at distances ranging between 40-250 yards…

We have had zero problems with bullet performance… everything has died and everything has gone down in very short order..

Our success with Barnes in 308 is predominantly the reason I now load Barnes for just about every caliber in my safe now… high velocity stuff like my 300h&h love Barnes as do my moderate velocity guns like my 416 Taylor… I load them for my 30-06, 270, 35 whelen, etc etc etc…
Are you shooting bone or or behind the shoulder? I’m using 165gr TSX

I’m not @NIGHTHAWK but I can advise with NA game I typically shoot behind the shoulder and go for a heart/lung shot.. with PG I typically shoot “on the shoulder”…

I’ve had no expansion problems in either scenario…
Just wanna make sure, I’ve got a bear hunt coming up and was using 7mm before where my velocity was much higher. People have been trying to steer me to the partition

You’re using 165gr.. make sure your twist rate supports them and that you’re getting solid accuracy out of them.. Barnes recommends 168 for most 308’s..

But performance wise I don’t see a problem with black bear… TSX in 308 should drop even very large black bears with no problem..

You’re using 165gr.. make sure your twist rate supports them and that you’re getting solid accuracy out of them.. Barnes recommends 168 for most 308’s..

But performance wise I don’t see a problem with black bear… TSX in 308 should drop even very large black bears with no problem..
Twist rate is 1:10 I’ve had pretty decent accuracy with the TSX

I shoot 168 ttsx and I think 150? Gr partitions. Out of my 308win.
Either work well on whitetail deer. The ttsx is a bit more accurate for me. When I say a bit I am talking maybe 1/2 moa at 500 yards. At 100-200 yards you can tell the ttsx is a shade better but either are moa in my rifle.
As for terminal ballistics.
My shots have all been at 200 yards to 30 yards. Really not a lot of difference there either.
Boils down in my opinion to which shoot better for you.
Fwiw I understand the 168ttsx was made with the 308win in mind

I shoot both. I have taken animals out to 200 yds with both. I cannot tell any difference other than the TTSX seems to pass through more often. Dead is still dead.

Do you live in a rural area where you can shoot in a field? Or only have access to a formal range? Set up a trash can stacked with wet newspapers at 300 yards and find out what the bullet actually does. 30 inches of newspaper should be plenty. Then you’ll have no questions in your mind.

I love a a NP & TSX in .308 win and .270win , I try to not let the different sides live in my head , till I get into dangerous game mode then I just go with TSX in my 375
but I don’t like shooting over 300 meters unless I am desperate

What animals are you shooting? I don't see that you state what you are looking to hunt with the TSX bullets.

If it's just US soft skin game I would personally not use TSX I would select a TTSX or just a regular soft point bullet. In .308 I would not go any heavier than 150gn, the 150gn TTSX works well for whitetail deer or even step down to the 130gn TTSX, a little extra velocity helps these bullets expand well. All of the Barnes TSX and TTSX bullets in all calibers that I have tried shoot well for me. I am a big fan of the TSX but for tougher, bigger heavier animals. We took 3 buffalo with TSX in Africa recently, it was a great bullet for this use.

Another brand of bullets that I have been hunting with recently are Maker bullets, they are similar to the Barnes TTSX. Maker have a tipped T-Rex bullet that I have found super effective in soft skin animals, the 130gn tipped bullets in a .308 give quite a hard knock down but also come with some carcass damage!

If you stick with the TSX 165gn in .308 I don't think you will get great expansion and recommend that you shoot for bone in soft skin animals.

For me Nosler Partitions are a good selection for heavier game such as elk or bear, I would not shoot deer with partitions as there does not seem to be any advantage to use such a quality / expensive bullet.

In reality any of these bullets will knock down any US soft skin animals. Good luck with your hunting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rosalyn996

Latest profile posts

SRS 2024 wrote on kesha's profile.
Hi there
Please contact us on sharisaf@yahoo.com

We have buffalo available at very good prices.

Kind regards
SRS
SRS 2024 wrote on crossone's profile.
Hi there

Shangani River Safaris can offer you a Buffalo hunt.

Please email us on sharisaf@yahoo.com.
Thank you.
matt2H wrote on matt vejar's profile.
Hey there Matt - i would love to understand some more about your bringing trophies home from South Africa in your checked luggage. My PH is holding onto a bushbuck euro and flatskin for me - and i am due back in South Africa in just over a week. He does have the export permit provided by the taxidermist for me. When you have a moment - could we go through the EDC Form and App? Looking forward to hearing from you.
Smo1127 wrote on duckfish's profile.
Neen doing Zelle or Venmo with other members, let me know if good for you and Ill give you my info. Im semding other orders out tomorrow so if paid today ill ship tomorrow
cwpayton wrote on Trogon's profile.
Hey trogon thanks for the shipping trophys info, so this being my first time shipping ,did you hire a firm here in the states to handle the import or was that an African firm, I would be happy with a cost around 3000+.