Barnes TSX reviews/question

For my part, I don't really see why you'd use a TSX or even a TTSX on soft skinned game, unless you're obliged to use copper (or maybe using a very high velocity cartridge).

I'm sure they'll work fine, but on species where you don't 'need' lots of straight line penetration or for the bullet to hold together, I don't see the benefit.

They're slightly more money than a basic Sierra Gameking or similar, they're no more accurate, the BC is worse, they're not likely to give the same degree of expansion to aid in decisive kills, they're no easier to source, so what's the benefit?

For heavily built animals where close ranges or suboptimal angles are likely, they're a solid choice. Buff, cats, euro boar, even heavily built stuff like Elk, absolutely.

For general deer? I don't think I'd bother.

I use TTSX bullets exclusively for whatever I hunt both here in the US and when I head over to Africa. I don't want to be messing around with 2 or 3 different loadings for each rifle that I have. I'll do this for my 257 Robert's all the way up to my 340 Weatherby, and they all shoot better than I can at times with them.

The only exception is my 22-250 that I have a good supply of Sierra bullets for.

I have used Barnes for many years. Use it for hand loads in rifles chambered in 375 RUM, 300 RUM, 270WSM, 270WIN, and 22-250 (a Michigan whitetail). (Load ready in 416 Rigby - hunt pending). Have taken the following without failure; whitetail, Mulies, elk, AK brown bear, caribou, kudu, red Hartebeest, black and also blue Wildebeest, impala, warthog, gemsbok, bushbuck, springbok. Zero failures.

My experience and advice is that impact velocities below 2800 by quality lead core bullets on any sized game Will mushroom and penetrate as expected . Above that it is problematic and are well suited for a Barnes.

Impact velocities in the 2000-2200 pose no problem for a Barnes TSX.

Why do I hunt with Barnes TSX? Because they will pass thru bone going in and coming out, leave a significant wound channel in between, and are accurate as hell in every cartridge I’ve tried.

To answer the OP I would use them without hesitation on thin skinned game. However, I will no longer use them in big bores and dangerous game. The TSX need higher velocities to ensure opening up (my understanding the tipped versions may be better on paper). At lower velocities they are absolutely worthless and act like a poor man's solid.

I used to be a big proponent of TSX bullets and other than on a Dall in '16 had used them exclusively since 2004. That was until 2018 after a lion hunt in Zim.

We recovered three TSX that failed on that hunt- they didn't expand and in essence were solids with poor performance on an eland, buffalo and I think a zebra. By the time it came time to shoot my lion my PH had decided to ditch my 3-7-5 and use my 300 Win with 180 gr TSX instead, as he knew the latter higher velocity round would expand and do damage. We had zero confidence in the bigger TSX. The last thing we wanted was for the .375 300 gr TSX to not expand in the lion.

In retrospect, I have a suspicion that the same 3-7-5 setup resulted in solid-like pass throughs in a brown bear back in '16. But at the time I didn't think of it as I was a believer in them.

My PH said when they first came out he and others were excited, but the more time they saw them in the field, the more the chinks in the armor showed. The other PHs we showed the bullet failures to were not TSX fans at all & said "A Frames." Who knows, maybe they changed up the metallurgy? Regardless, I don't trust them at all in big bores.

When I went back to Zim in April I took my 3-7-5 as a backup up with A Frames. Also gonna take it to the peninsula on another brown bear in October. Only this time with A Frames.

Again, on thin skinned game I will continue to use them. Certainly the 300 Win on elk and a 340 Wby on moose.

But when I need a bullet that won't fail, it will be an A Frame, certainly not a TSX.

Can anyone relate to this or am I just a TTSX jinx?
I used factory Vor-Tex TTSX’s (180 300 WM)on 6 plains game in Namibia 2019. The only animal I had a pass through and instant kill was a warthog at ~50 yards. All other bullets in other animals were recovered. Besides the warthog, a red heartabeast was the only other 1 shot kill.
I keep reading good things on the TTSX’s so I decided to hand load some for my 300 WM:180 @ 3060 fps. On a whitetail last November at 25 yards, the bullet looked like it separated on impact. The entry was larger than the exit and found petals inside cavity.
I was in SA this past May and decided to load regular TSX’s. (180 300 WM) 2900 fps for this trip. 5 different PG all were pass throughs all were1 shot kills except on an Impala and that was a bad shot on my part. All shots have been under 250 yards. Most between 125-200 yards.

120 grain barnes TTSX. 6.5X55, MV: 2,700FPS

20181112_110757.jpg
20181112_074937.jpg

This is the only one I ever recovered. The low impact velocity (2,500fps) probably accounts for the fact that it isnt opened all the way. This one went, IIRC, 22" up the spine as he was running. The first shot killed him. This was the follow up. Round one went through the lungs and heart and liquified them. Don't worry whether barnes work on thin skinned light game. They definitely do. Just go out there and fill your freezer.

Last edited:
Can anyone relate to this or am I just a TTSX jinx?
I used factory Vor-Tex TTSX’s (180 300 WM)on 6 plains game in Namibia 2019. The only animal I had a pass through and instant kill was a warthog at ~50 yards. All other bullets in other animals were recovered. Besides the warthog, a red heartabeast was the only other 1 shot kill.
I keep reading good things on the TTSX’s so I decided to hand load some for my 300 WM:180 @ 3060 fps. On a whitetail last November at 25 yards, the bullet looked like it separated on impact. The entry was larger than the exit and found petals inside cavity.
I was in SA this past May and decided to load regular TSX’s. (180 300 WM) 2900 fps for this trip. 5 different PG all were pass throughs all were1 shot kills except on an Impala and that was a bad shot on my part. All shots have been under 250 yards. Most between 125-200 yards.
I’m curious as to what you didn’t like about the TSX’s on your 2019 trip? I read the report, and you seemed happy with them. The oryx first shot wasn’t the best, hey it happens but the second dropped him. The warthog and hartebeest were one shot kills. The kudu picture shows one well placed hole, how many did it require? Also eland are known for taking a good chunk of lead, and you will find people here who recommend nothing short of a .500!

Im curious what you were expecting vs what the actual results were? Did you have 50 yard follow ups or 150? We’re the bullets recovered against the far-side hide?

Im not trying to discount you’re experience, you took lovely trophies, and from your report you don’t make mention of any real issues. I would like to know more of the details, and what you didn’t like about the bullets.

For my part, I don't really see why you'd use a TSX or even a TTSX on soft skinned game, unless you're obliged to use copper (or maybe using a very high velocity cartridge).

I'm sure they'll work fine, but on species where you don't 'need' lots of straight line penetration or for the bullet to hold together, I don't see the benefit.

They're slightly more money than a basic Sierra Gameking or similar, they're no more accurate, the BC is worse, they're not likely to give the same degree of expansion to aid in decisive kills, they're no easier to source, so what's the benefit?

For heavily built animals where close ranges or suboptimal angles are likely, they're a solid choice. Buff, cats, euro boar, even heavily built stuff like Elk, absolutely.

For general deer? I don't think I'd bother.
Benefit to me is they kill nearly the same and I don’t have to pull lead fragments from meat I’m supposed to eat or cut away excess meat. I’ve also never had a Barnes bullet not expand so that’s a non-issue.

I’m curious as to what you didn’t like about the TSX’s on your 2019 trip? I read the report, and you seemed happy with them. The oryx first shot wasn’t the best, hey it happens but the second dropped him. The warthog and hartebeest were one shot kills. The kudu picture shows one well placed hole, how many did it require? Also eland are known for taking a good chunk of lead, and you will find people here who recommend nothing short of a .500!

Im curious what you were expecting vs what the actual results were? Did you have 50 yard follow ups or 150? We’re the bullets recovered against the far-side hide?

Im not trying to discount you’re experience, you took lovely trophies, and from your report you don’t make mention of any real issues. I would like to know more of the details, and what you didn’t like about the bullets.
Fair question. But first let say my 2019 hunt I used TTSX’s vs TSX this past May. What I was expecting with the TT’s were what I mostly read “pass throughs” and clean kills. I didn’t lose an animal with the TTs but with the Oryx and Kudu, the follow ups were honestly within 15 yards with Jack Russell’s on them. The follow ups put them down fast but still not passing through like most people experience. The hartebeest ran about 150 yards and skinners pulled bullet on opposite shoulder. the heart had a pencil hole dead center of it. I chalked all these up to “tough African game”. The TSX I used this year were totally opposite. Pass throughs dropping within site and i was very happy. My confusion is why I experience totally different results of what most people state with TT’s and even different results bw TT’s vs. T’s. Bad Lot? Ultimately i never lost an animal with either but was a lot less stressed on recoveries with the TSX.

Fair question. But first let say my 2019 hunt I used TTSX’s vs TSX this past May. What I was expecting with the TT’s were what I mostly read “pass throughs” and clean kills. I didn’t lose an animal with the TTs but with the Oryx and Kudu, the follow ups were honestly within 15 yards with Jack Russell’s on them. The follow ups put them down fast but still not passing through like most people experience. The hartebeest ran about 150 yards and skinners pulled bullet on opposite shoulder. the heart had a pencil hole dead center of it. I chalked all these up to “tough African game”. The TSX I used this year were totally opposite. Pass throughs dropping within site and i was very happy. My confusion is why I experience totally different results of what most people state with TT’s and even different results bw TT’s vs. T’s. Bad Lot? Ultimately i never lost an animal with either but was a lot less stressed on recoveries with the TSX.

Interesting! Thanks for clearing that up!

TSX or TTSX are all I have used for big game for the last 12 years. The reason I started is I did not want lead in the meat my young daughters were eating. The reason I stayed is the performance. My kids have shot many dozens of deer and pigs with .223/5.56 TSX. All performed perfectly. As they grew up they used .308 with TSX. All performed perfectly. In addition to .223/5.56, I have taken deer and pigs with 6.5CM and 127 LRX or 130 TSX. I have taken Nilgai and Pronghorn with 300 PRC using 190 LRX.
All internal and exit wounds were impressive and the only animal we ever did not get an exit wound from was a large boar shot in the chest at at about 60 yards with a 55 grain TSX. He absorbed it and I did not go digging for it. He piled up after about 30 yards. I have never had any big game animal go more than 50 yards when shot with Barnes bullets. EXCEPT for the 50 grain TSX noted below.
Experience
.223/5.56 50, 55, 62, and 70 grain TSX
.308 168 grain TSX
6.5 CM 127 LRX, and 130 TSX
300 PRC 190 grain LRX
The only load I did not like on big game was the Black Hills 50 grain TSX. It was advertised as more barrier blind and the performance I saw on pigs was more like non-fragmenting fmj. I do not recommend it for big game.
Why Barnes?
1. No lead contamination
2. Consistent performance
Barnes for deer and pigs?
Absolutely!

I just wish that I could recover a TTSX that I have shot at a animal. My kudu was 400+ yards and it blew the heart to shreds, all my other African game animals were pass through shots and one shot kills except for my gemsbok and that was my fault. This was using my .340 Weatherby shooting a 225 grain TTSX at 3000 fps at the muzzle.

As for North American game I have shot a number of elk and mule deer with the same round, again all pass through shots. My Arizona coues deer was shot at 420 yards with a .25-06 and a 100 grain TTSX at 3200 fps and it also was a pass through one shot kill.

I only shoot 162 Hornady interlocks out my 7rem mag since I was 18 (now 55) out of two rifles. I have never used another weight or brand and hunt whitetail in Louisiana and Mississippi. Have taken elk, Maine moose, Mule deer, hogs and antelope all with the 162. Moose stepped 3 yards max. Elk stepped 20ish yards. Everything else was absolutely DRT. Distances averaged 120yds guessing . One antelope was 463yds and one whitetail was 316yds. Recovered only one bullet, antelope under far side skin. Everything else was pass through.
I haven't felt a need to change or try a "better" bullet. I owe it to the animal and sport to do my part as consistent and humanely as possible.

Last edited:
Some say shoot lighter bullets with Barnes to ensure expansion as weight retention is not an issue. I have some 150 grain factory ammo and bought some 168grain bullets to test in my .308. Bought the 168’s due to advice from AH members. Anyone have any experience with the .30 cal 130 grain bullets?

I never had one fail to kill but I am not a fan. Used them first in muzzleloader sabot. Killed a hog with a heart shot but bullet looked like it just came out of the box. No expansion at all. Then used them in 243 but they fouled the bore so bad groups were opening up after 20 rounds and bore was copper colored and tough to clean. Have fed my family with venison for 40 years and no lead poisoning yet. Happy with cup and core bullets. I don’t think they are all bad but have heard of and experienced more failures than other brands. If mandated I will use them but given a choice I prefer lead and building copper. Just one hunters experiences and opinions.Good hunting.

As stated it appears Barnes performs best with higher speeds. I’m wondering how it would work in 7mm08 or 280 where the velocity is a little slower
I can tell you this, my boy used his .284 Winchester model 70 in RSA and everything he hit was hit hard. Bullet was 140 TSX at just over 3000fps chronoed. This wildybeasty took one frontal chest shot at around 90 yards and died very quickly. So much for the "armor plating" you read about.
As to why use them when not really needed for some animals? In this case it was the bullet that shot best in the old rifle, very accurate and when I have a rifle that seems reluctant to shoot cup and core slugs, I try TSX and that usually ends the problem.
IMG_0496.JPG

Forgot to mention, the 140 gr TSX went into the front of the chest, cleaved the heart nearly in 2 and kept going and was lost in the paunch somewhere, the guys never found it.
Penetration could be said to be adequate.
Last day of the hunt and he was really wanting a gnu and I spotted this small group from the back of the truck and told our PH, we stopped and the lad went back with him and in 5 minutes had this one down. He was quite thrilled.

I’ve worked at a deer processing plant for 13 years now and saw enough lead get missed and run thru the grinder that I just lost interest in using lead core bullets.
Last year I used my 338 win mag with the 160 gr ttsx on 5 whitetails. The first 4 I used a mid grade load of rl15 for ok results every bullet passed thru and killed within 50 yds but the wound channels were nothing spectacular. But the last one I used a hot load of imr 4320 don’t know how fast they were going but it was hot. I shot a large doe about 150 yds quartering to me on the front of the shoulder. She still made it about 30 yds but when I gutted her one lung was completely gone and there was only about a two inch piece of liver still intact and I recovered the bullet in the opposite ham with one petal missing. Just guessing but there were about 300 fps difference in those loads but the difference in destruction was incredible.
My brother used the 110 gr ttsx from a 30-06 to great success on a doe drt at 320 yds tight behind the shoulder.
This just reinforces in my mind they like to run fast. At least for the whitetailes in NE Louisiana.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RodGirardi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia