Baagh Shikar: The Art Of Hunting The Royal Bengal Tiger

Fascinating story, Hunter-Habib!!!!! Gone days...fortunate to have lived in those places and times!
Thank you to take your time for sharing with us!
Best!

CF

Fantastic write-up @Hunter-Habib ! Thank you very much for taking the time to post it.

A question on the victims/surviving families of man-eaters (and beg forgiveness for any impropriety) ... are there beliefs that sometimes go along with victims, i.e. that a specific person/family was chosen by a man-eater due to some past behavior (or even a curse), that results in special rites during the funeral (or otherwise) to 'cleanse' the curse or perhaps protect the family who is left? Not sure if any lore like that accompanies man-eating tigers

Fascinating story, Hunter-Habib!!!!! Gone days...fortunate to have lived in those places and times!
Thank you to take your time for sharing with us!
Best!

CF
Why thank you, Clodo. Indeed, the Lord has been very kind to me.

Fantastic write-up @Hunter-Habib ! Thank you very much for taking the time to post it.

A question on the victims/surviving families of man-eaters (and beg forgiveness for any impropriety) ... are there beliefs that sometimes go along with victims, i.e. that a specific person/family was chosen by a man-eater due to some past behavior (or even a curse), that results in special rites during the funeral (or otherwise) to 'cleanse' the curse or perhaps protect the family who is left? Not sure if any lore like that accompanies man-eating tigers
Why thank you, Baxter. To answer your questions, there are quite a few superstitions amongst the locals inhabiting the Sundarban mangrove forests in regards to man eating Royal Bengal tigers. I personally regard all of them to be nothing but rural folklore. But nevertheless, it was extremely crucial for me to familiarize myself with all of the local superstitions when my administration presided over the Sundarbans (so that I could gain cooperation easier from the local residents).

Virtually all of these superstitions feature a female semi goddess deity by the name of “Bon-Bibi” (Mistress Of The Forest) as the central component. This deity is commonly revered amongst the locals of all 4 forest ranges in the Sundarbans (Khulna, Shoronkhola, Chand-Pai, Buri Goalini) although variations of the superstitions exist amongst the locals which vary from the inhabitants of one forest range to another. The recurring element is always that Bon-Bibi turned the Royal Bengal tigers into man eaters, in order to punish the human victims for a perceived “Sin”.

Here they are:
> Woodcutters killed by man eaters are said to have angered Bon-Bibi by cutting down an immature tree
> Fishermen killed by man eaters are said to have angered Bon-Bibi by catching immature fish
> Axis Deer hunters killed by man eaters are said to have angered Bon-Bibi by hunting either does or fawns
> Honey collectors killed by man eaters are said to have angered Bon-Bibi by acquiring the honey in a manner that was lethal to the bees
> Anyone who gets killed by a man eater while entering the mangrove forests during a moonless night are said to have angered Bon-Bibi
> If a virgin girl is the final victim of a man eater Royal Bengal tiger (before the problem animal is killed), then a necklace made from the man eater’s claws must be buried in the girl’s grave so that Bon-Bibi finds her a worthy husband in the afterlife
> Anybody who successfully hunts a man eating Royal Bengal tiger must have their feet washed in wild Sundarbans honey by the surviving family members of the man eater’s victims, so that the souls of the deceased can peacefully move onto the afterlife

The final one actually made me feel extremely uncomfortable because I never support of the notion of making/allowing other people to wash my feet (and that too in sticky honey !). But my men explained to me that the family members of the victims of man eating Royal Bengal tigers were actually doing this, in the hopes that the souls of their deceased loved ones were peacefully passing into the afterlife. So I reluctantly agreed.

Why thank you, Baxter. To answer your questions, there are quite a few superstitions amongst the locals inhabiting the Sundarban mangrove forests in regards to man eating Royal Bengal tigers. I personally regard all of them to be nothing but rural folklore. But nevertheless, it was extremely crucial for me to familiarize myself with all of the local superstitions when my administration presided over the Sundarbans (so that I could gain cooperation easier from the local residents).

Virtually all of these superstitions feature a female semi goddess deity by the name of “Bon-Bibi” (Mistress Of The Forest) as the central component. This deity is commonly revered amongst the locals of all 4 forest ranges in the Sundarbans (Khulna, Shoronkhola, Chand-Pai, Buri Goalini) although variations of the superstitions exist amongst the locals which vary from the inhabitants of one forest range to another. The recurring element is always that Bon-Bibi turned the Royal Bengal tigers into man eaters, in order to punish the human victims for a perceived “Sin”.

Here they are:
> Woodcutters killed by man eaters are said to have angered Bon-Bibi by cutting down an immature tree
> Fishermen killed by man eaters are said to have angered Bon-Bibi by catching immature fish
> Axis Deer hunters killed by man eaters are said to have angered Bon-Bibi by hunting either does or fawns
> Honey collectors killed by man eaters are said to have angered Bon-Bibi by acquiring the honey in a manner that was lethal to the bees
> Anyone who gets killed by a man eater while entering the mangrove forests during a moonless night are said to have angered Bon-Bibi
> If a virgin girl is the final victim of a man eater Royal Bengal tiger (before the problem animal is killed), then a necklace made from the man eater’s claws must be buried in the girl’s grave so that Bon-Bibi finds her a worthy husband in the afterlife
> Anybody who successfully hunts a man eating Royal Bengal tiger must have their feet washed in wild Sundarbans honey by the surviving family members of the man eater’s victims, so that the souls of the deceased can peacefully move onto the afterlife

The final one actually made me feel extremely uncomfortable because I never support of the notion of making/allowing other people to wash my feet (and that too in sticky honey !). But my men explained to me that the family members of the victims of man eating Royal Bengal tigers were actually doing this, in the hopes that the souls of their deceased loved ones were peacefully passing into the afterlife. So I reluctantly agreed.

Utterly fascinating. Thank you @Hunter-Habib I really enjoy hearing these stories and also the “extra” cultural information that goes along with them. It deepens my understanding of how / why things really are.

Thank you again.

Habib, this is one of the best tales I've ever read. Congratulations to you! You have done ten times over what I ever hoped to do in Africa. I just want a couple of daga boys...one with my .375 and one with the Lott that is halfway done :)
Believe me, Jim. You’ll far surpass me. By the way, how much much progress have you made on the .458 Lott build so far ? I can’t wait to see it ! A Square Hannibal action, right ?

Believe me, Jim. You’ll far surpass me. By the way, how much much progress have you made on the .458 Lott build so far ? I can’t wait to see it ! A Square Hannibal action, right ?
Hi Habib! I doubt I ever surpass you, but would be happy to get over there a few times :) The Lott is slowly coming along. It's at the gunsmith's right now. Yes, it will basically be an A-Square Hannibal clone. I bought an 80% already finished action from Russ at Whitworth arms. He does a nice job with them. Also got a McGowen barrel in .458. Stock from MPI (clone of the Hannibal) was supposed to be done a week ago, so it should be coming in soon. I've got the sights from New England Custom Guns. Russ provided me with an older custom trigger that we're going to try...but if I don't like it we'll install a Timney like I did on my .375. John hasn't chambered it yet. I think he's waiting on all the parts to do the actual machine work. It'll probably be a few months yet but it's getting there. Once I get it done, I'll post some pictures. Should be a fun one :)

Mr. Habib, I enjoy this reading very much. Thank you for write it out and share it in this forum.
Best regards

Hunter-Habib -- I am very thankful for your tiger hunting expose.

Hunter - Habib
Great Storys.

Best wishes.
F.

Thank you, Hunter-Hahbib, that you wrote me and gave me the permission to use it.
ALso for your PMs, your time and great knowledge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spinjo

Latest profile posts

Bartbux wrote on franzfmdavis's profile.
Btw…this was Kuche….had a great time.
Sorry to see your troubles on pricing.

Happy to call you and talk about experience…I’m also a Minnesota guy.
Ready for the next hunt