Average "hippo on land" prices by country?

as soon as you left, we had a hippo very far from water. He was a good bull but not a monster, but definitely a good bull to hunt on land. I guess that’s why I like hunting so much, timing is everything

as soon as you left, we had a hippo very far from water. He was a good bull but not a monster, but definitely a good bull to hunt on land. I guess that’s why I like hunting so much, timing is everything
You guys must smell more like a Hippo than I do! Lol!

Oh we smelled like hippo.

IMG_5111.jpeg

IMG_5086.jpeg

IMG_5126.jpeg

This is the one on land we could have killed a dozen times

View attachment 563651View attachment 563650
We were mainly focusing on buffalo and tuskless the entire time, so we mainly hunted hippo as we were near the lake around lunch time. We got in close on a bunch of Hippo, but never found one out away from the lake. But then again, we were only trying to shoot one during mid day. I would imagine you could do better on land late in the evening. But, that's when we were concentrating on other animals. Good Hippo you shot!

I shot mine around 1pm the first day, then hunted tuskless for 8 days. That will keep you busy! Hard to complain about a 1st day buffalo though.
Nope, can’t complain. I hunted croc for 4 days after my hippo, which was on day 2. 9 animals total in 12 days, it was a good hunt.

Love those hippo pics!

With money being somewhat tight in 2024, I may have to wait. I can't really spend more than $10,000 on the hunt and I would like to add some warthog or baboon skulls to my collection along with the hippo.

I will have to find something else to test my "new" 8-bore rifle on... the local deer may be in trouble.

-Matt

It’s a different price point than described above, but some of the finest dry land hippo hunting is found in the Selous Game Reserve in Tanzania. Lots of hippos are found a long way from any significant water.
Here’s a bull I shot in late August:

IMG_7940.jpeg

They’re a great hunt on dry land!

This is just a guess, but I believe hunting prices in unfenced Africa will increase by 20%.

Zim. National Parks, hungry.
CAMPFIRE, hungry. Forestry hungry. Landowner's will increase fees.

Outfitters that have to travel long distances will suffer even higher costs.

I should have stated I believe unfenced operators will increase prices about 20% during 2025z

Love those hippo pics!

With money being somewhat tight in 2024, I may have to wait. I can't really spend more than $10,000 on the hunt and I would like to add some warthog or baboon skulls to my collection along with the hippo.

I will have to find something else to test my "new" 8-bore rifle on... the local deer may be in trouble.

-Matt
It’s always good to wait and save a bit. With how much time and money is invested in getting over there you may be disappointed in a hippo only hunt. They pair really well with something that needs bait.

It’s always good to wait and save a bit. With how much time and money is invested in getting over there you may be disappointed in a hippo only hunt. They pair really well with something that needs bait.

Spotted hyena has long been high on the list of wanted trophies. However, the cost of such a hunt would put it out much later than 2024. With the way the economy is going such a hunt would likely be around 2026. Seems like every year I'm able to save less... I can remember a time when it was just 2 years to save money up for a buffalo hunt :(.

-Matt

Unless you get an end of year special, most 10 day buff hunts in Zim start at around 15k all in, which isn’t bad at all. But taking a hippo it jumps it over 20 quickly. Still, increasing prices in Zim are still moving far slower than the rest of the hunting world. Moose hunts have jumped 10k in 5-6 years.

I was told daily rates where I hunted have just increased by 100 bucks a day, still super affordable.

Good day mr @matt85.
We are based in the Lowveld of South Africa in the heart of Dangerous Game hunting country.
We offer some of the best Dangerous Game Hunting in South Africa.

Hippo in South Africa is more expensive, but normally you can buy a Hippo hunt with all your daily fees included. I also noticed that you might also be interested in Spotted Hyena.
Our area in the Lowveld is one of the most populated numbers for Spotted Hyena and we are fortunate to say that the last 4 years we have a 100% succes rate on our Hyena hunts.

I will send you a DM to reach out to you in regards with Hippo and Hyena.

Kind regards
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BeulahLomb

Latest profile posts

NYAMAZANA SAFARIS wrote on majorsafari's profile.
Trail cam image is of a cat we never took .. it’s not a great image but I can assure you it’s a very big cat . Other photo is of my client with his cat this year .
thokau wrote on Just a dude in BC's profile.
Hallo, ein Freund von mir lebt auf einer Farm in den Rocky Mountains.
Leider kam es dort in den letzten Wochen zu Bränden.
Hoffe es geht dir gut!?