AUSTRALIA: Sugar Cane Boars 2023

Aussie_Hunter

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Been a busy year hunting around the paddocks especially the last few months. Have cleaned up around 150-200 pigs this year, bought myself a new Ruger Guide Gun in 30-06 for my birthday to replace my old one that I've had for around 6-7 years now. In the first month that new 30-06 fired around 100 rounds and took 34 pigs, I'm using a new load in the 30-06 this year as well, 200 grain Lapua Mega at 2630fps, they hit like a freight train! Might just be the best load I have used out of the 30-06 for big boars around the paddocks. My Highland Stalker in 9.3X62 has also been lending a hand from time to time, but I'm trying to leave it at home so I'm not dragging it around in the rough conditions that is cane hunting in the tropics.

Below is a few of the good ones I've taken over the last few months, all between 90-105kgs, and some of them just absolute brawlers covered in scars. Always gets the heart pumping hunting these big fellas at night by yourself.

But the year is not ever yet, getting out tonight for a hunt and hopefully get plenty more hunts in over the next few weeks to rack up a few more good ones to close out the year.

1702073422943.png

1702073462886.png

Nice.

Christmas lunch hams sorted (y)

;)

Been a busy year hunting around the paddocks especially the last few months. Have cleaned up around 150-200 pigs this year, bought myself a new Ruger Guide Gun in 30-06 for my birthday to replace my old one that I've had for around 6-7 years now. In the first month that new 30-06 fired around 100 rounds and took 34 pigs, I'm using a new load in the 30-06 this year as well, 200 grain Lapua Mega at 2630fps, they hit like a freight train! Might just be the best load I have used out of the 30-06 for big boars around the paddocks. My Highland Stalker in 9.3X62 has also been lending a hand from time to time, but I'm trying to leave it at home so I'm not dragging it around in the rough conditions that is cane hunting in the tropics.

Below is a few of the good ones I've taken over the last few months, all between 90-105kgs, and some of them just absolute brawlers covered in scars. Always gets the heart pumping hunting these big fellas at night by yourself.

But the year is not ever yet, getting out tonight for a hunt and hopefully get plenty more hunts in over the next few weeks to rack up a few more good ones to close out the year.
@Aussie_Hunter
If you want to get your heart pumping hunting pigs do it the way my dad used to when he was young and dumb.
He crawled thru lignum tunnels with a 455 webly and a tomahawk. When he ran out of ammo he hit them in the heed with the tomahawk. Me thinks that would not only get the heart pumping but could also loosen the anal sphincter.
Bob

@Aussie_Hunter
If you want to get your heart pumping hunting pigs do it the way my dad used to when he was young and dumb.
He crawled thru lignum tunnels with a 455 webly and a tomahawk. When he ran out of ammo he hit them in the heed with the tomahawk. Me thinks that would not only get the heart pumping but could also loosen the anal sphincter.
Bob
Done plenty of that mate, I hunted the cane with dogs for years. Gets pretty wild in there especially at night.

@Aussie_Hunter
Bob
I bet it would !

Guys maybe a close second is crawling through rubber vine tunnels in the gulf country. When you come face to face at 1 or 2 metres and you can barely move in any direction it gets pretty hairy. Had some very close calls with pigs inside 1 metre but fortunately never got hurt, luckily.

Guys maybe a close second is crawling through rubber vine tunnels in the gulf country. When you come face to face at 1 or 2 metres and you can barely move in any direction it gets pretty hairy. Had some very close calls with pigs inside 1 metre but fortunately never got hurt, luckily.

Yeah hunting in the rubber vibe is always a bit wild

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WayneBoone

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?