AUSTRALIA: Just Returned From Aussie Buffalo Hunt

chashardy

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Australia/NZ
Just returned from a water buffalo hunt in the Northern Territory of Australia with Aaron Corbett of Australian Outback Buffalo Safaris. Aaron has several hunting camps and we hunted at the Moroak Station camp. Moroak has been operated as a cattle station for a hundred years and encompasses about 700,000 acres of rough outback bush country. Lots of trophy buffalo, scrub bulls, banteng, pigs, etc. for hunting. I took a very nice old buffalo bull--photo attached--that scored just under a 100 SCI.
If you like roughing it in camp, this is the set up for you. Tents with no electricity and only an outdoor privy with shower and toilet for the camp. Warm days and cool nights made for good sleeping and millions of stars in the Australian sky. As we say in Texas, "if this ain't the middle of no where, you can damn sure see it from here."

I took my 416 Rigby Big Game with me and one shot of Federal's Trophy Bonded Bear Claw 400gr dropped the bull in his tracks.

BE AWARE THAT AUSTRALIA IS NOT HUNTER FRIENDLY IF YOU TRAVEL WITH A RIFLE.

Aaron's wife handled getting my license and rifle permit in advance. Bringing the rifle in was a bit of a hassle as Qantas check-in agents at DFW Airport seemed unsure of how to handle a passenger traveling with a hunting rifle. Australian Border Force (ABF) in Sydney cleared the rifle coming in, but Qantas wrapped my rifle case in more yellow warning tape than the O.J. Simpson crime scene. Leaving with the rifle was a bigger hassle as ABF said I needed a RGP--Restricted Goods Permit, and export documentation to take the rifle home. That took about three hours of back and forth between the terminal and the Customs House on the other side of the parking garage at the airport. At each step, the agents seemed a little unsure of what was needed, so I had to fill out three pages of paperwork and go back to the ABF office in the terminal to get the rifle cleared to come home. Silly unnecessary paperwork considering that all of the data requested was the same as on the already approved import permit and all they really needed to do was confirm that I was the same passenger, same passport number, carrying the same rifle, same serial number and stamp the existing documents and check my bag onto the Qantas flight--after wrapping the case in even more yellow warning tape.
BOTTOM LINE: DON'T TAKE YOUR RIFLE TO AUSTRALIA.

dsc_0139-jpg.552300

Attachments

• DSC_0139.JPG
    6.6 MB · Views: 1,375
Last edited by a moderator:
Great bull. Did you center him between the horns?!?

Great bull. Did you center him between the horns?!?
Frontal shot. The bulls at Moroak are not familiar with humans and walk toward you (if you are downwind) to within 50 to 60 yards. When he lifted his head, I put the shot a few inches under his chin.
He had some blood on his head right between his horns from a recent fight.

Congratulations on the Bull. Sorry our rules make it hard. But at least you had your own rifle as part of the experience.

Congrats and thanks for sharing!

Great looking bull!

@chashardy well done!

I’m headed down under Sept 15 and I agree with you on the licensing; I’m hunting with friends and NT won’t let me bring my rifle without an invitation letter from a safari company.
Thanks! Since Aaron's wife handled my rifle permit and license, the letter from safari company was handled. It was getting all the dumb paperwork to leave Australia with my own rifle that was the problem. Really useless red tape bs. Even the aussie border agent agreed it was useless, but had to do his job.

Congrats, great bull !

I stopped traveling with firearms 10 years ago, too much of a hassle.

Congrats on the hunt!

@chashardy well done!

I’m headed down under Sept 15 and I agree with you on the licensing; I’m hunting with friends and NT won’t let me bring my rifle without an invitation letter from a safari company.
@deewayne2003
Typical Northern Territory.
Warning you are entering the Northern Territory please turn your clock back 50 years should be in every airport.
Bob

Things must've changed since I was last there in 2015. The pre-approved rifle permit was all I ever needed. I don't recall ever having to do anything special when I returned home, other than get Quantas to approve my gun/ammo before the flight home. That was a quick process as I recall. A travel agent may be an asset in the current scheme of things. They could probably get everything taken care of before the trip.

Things must've changed since I was last there in 2015. The pre-approved rifle permit was all I ever needed. I don't recall ever having to do anything special when I returned home, other than get Quantas to approve my gun/ammo before the flight home. That was a quick process as I recall. A travel agent may be an asset in the current scheme of things. They could probably get everything taken care of before the trip.
That's what I thought would happen. Even my outfitter was surprised. The additional paperwork I had to do at Customs House at the Sydney Airport asked for the same information--name, passport, address, rifle, serial number, etc. etc. that was on the pre-approved rifle permit. In addition, my paperwork was copied not once, not twice, but three times in the airport before I left Sydney. Stupid, unnecessary red tape BS.

That's what I thought would happen. Even my outfitter was surprised. The additional paperwork I had to do at Customs House at the Sydney Airport asked for the same information--name, passport, address, rifle, serial number, etc. etc. that was on the pre-approved rifle permit. In addition, my paperwork was copied not once, not twice, but three times in the airport before I left Sydney. Stupid, unnecessary red tape BS.
It's these things that make traveling with guns such a PITA. I'm to the point of possibly renting a rifle the next trip I make overseas. But I'm sure I won't be able to make myself do that, and will end up just biting the bullet again. I like using my own rifles so much that it's actually a big part of the experience.

It's these things that make traveling with guns such a PITA. I'm to the point of possibly renting a rifle the next trip I make overseas. But I'm sure I won't be able to make myself do that, and will end up just biting the bullet again. I like using my own rifles so much that it's actually a big part of the experience.
I agree. I didn't spend thousands of dollars on my Rigby to leave it at home in the safe when I go on safari.

On the extra paperwork to export a firearm from Australia, that has always been a requirement, other wise you illegally export the firearm !

Now I have flown out of Aussie a lot & half the time have a firearm, I have never been asked for that paper work BUT when I returned with my rifle that was registered in my name in Australia, I was stopped, my rifle was confiscated by Customs & I had to get a B709 to re-import my own rifle & was warned I could of been charged with illegal export !!

So you may well leave with your firearm with out being stopped but it is not legal to do so, depends who is on the check in counter, who is in the baggage loading area (on the Xray) & what Customs Officer (ABF) is on duty.

Oh also which Airport & State you are in/leaving from, Perth in WA would be a deal breaker I'm sure !!!

Last edited:
I’m bumping up this thread because me and my friends are thinking about going for a buffalo, scrub bull & fishing trip to the NT .
any suggestions on outfitters ?
this whole gun import/export process may be the trump card that makes it possible not going ( as said above none of us want to leave our own guns @ home or possibly have to hassle with Aussie laws on export)
is this a fun trip for some amigos to go on compared to Africa?

I recommend Aaron Corbett at Australian Outback Buffalo Safaris. He was supposed to be at DSC in Dallas last week, but was in a wreck near Texarkana and ended up in hospital--but he's recovering and should be at Nashville for SCI.
He will put you on a great bull. As I said in my report above, if you like roughing it in the outback, his camp is perfect.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petervolt

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?