rifletuner

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
Zimbabwe, South Africa, Zambia, Namibia, Australia, America, New Caledonia
I spoke to a friend a few weeks back about a visit to his property. I mentioned a couple of possible weekends and he said the 30/9-1/10 worked best for him, so we booked it in. Then a week before we were due to leave, I realised it was the Australian Football League grand final weekend with a public holiday Friday, so I had the 29th off as well.

Anyhow, my son and I headed up north for the weekend, arriving midday Friday. Once we got organised Friday afternoon, my friend suggested that we should go and sit in a small gully at the back of the property for the evening, so we got organised and headed out. We parked the ute (pickup) and walked in about an hour before sunset. While walking in we got honked by a sambar hind. My son was in front of me, but tree cover prevented me seeing the deer. I could see my son with his rifle shouldered for 5 seconds or so, but then he motioned me over to him. He could see the deer at around 90 meters, but only its head and a small section of its neck had been visible so he felt it was a no-shoot situation. We were both fully covered with face masks, gloves, etc, and the hind had turned and walked off, so we decided since it seemed pretty undisturbed that it was still worth sitting there, but we didn’t see anything else there before the light ran out.

The next morning we were up early and headed out to the same gully and had parked the ute by 5:30. We walked in and split up at around 6:00 am. I had only been walking for about 5 minutes when I heard a shot. After waiting a moment with no further shots, I headed down to where we had separated, then followed the trail he had taken. My son was carrying his 458 Win Mag loaded with 300 grain Barnes TTSX BT bullets made for the 458 SOCOM. As he had rounded the corner, he spotted 2 does feeding and belted one at about 50 meters. It dropped on the spot and thrashed around for a couple of seconds, before regaining its feet and running off. A quick search showed no blood at all, but we quickly found where it had expired after 20 paces.

The bullet hit towards the front of the shoulder and exited around the centre of the off-side shoulder. The exit showed a square hole typical of an expanded Barnes X. My son was carrying a knife he made himself and was keen to test it out breaking down a deer, so he set to work and we recovered the back straps and all 4 legs. The hind was in great condition, and should be a great eater. Fortunately the pack out wasn't too difficult, and we were back at my friends house relaxing by around 8:00am

IMG-3746.jpg
IMG-3766.jpg
IMG-3769.jpg
IMG-3776.jpg
IMG-3788.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
When my son was butchering the off side shoulder, he found one of the copper petals and a bit of the plastic tip near where the bullet had exited. We were running this bullet a over the velocity it was designed for, but I was a surprised to see the petal brake off. Just judging by the exit wound, I would say the other three petals were still attached to the bullet shank. The deer was hit hard with both shoulders broken. It dropped to the ground and only ran 10 - 20 meters, so I am definitely not calling this a "bullet failure". Anyhow, it was a neat thing to find.

IMG-3865.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I spoke to a friend a few weeks back about a visit to his property. I mentioned a couple of possible weekends and he said the 30/9-1/10 worked best for him, so we booked it in. Then a week before we were due to leave, I realised it was the Australian Football League grand final weekend with a public holiday Friday, so I had the 29th off as well.

Anyhow, my son and I headed up north for the weekend, arriving midday Friday. Once we got organised Friday afternoon, my friend suggested that we should go and sit in a small gully at the back of the property for the evening, so we got organised and headed out. We parked the ute (pickup) and walked in about an hour before sunset. While walking in we got honked by a sambar hind. My son was in front of me, but tree cover prevented me seeing the deer. I could see my son with his rifle shouldered for 5 seconds or so, but then he motioned me over to him. He could see the deer at around 90 meters, but only its head and a small section of its neck had been visible so he felt it was a no-shoot situation. We were both fully covered with face masks, gloves, etc, and the hind had turned and walked off, so we decided since it seemed pretty undisturbed that it was still worth sitting there, but we didn’t see anything else there before the light ran out.

The next morning we were up early and headed out to the same gully and had parked the ute by 5:30. We walked in and split up at around 6:00 am. I had only been walking for about 5 minutes when I heard a shot. After waiting a moment with no further shots, I headed down to where we had separated, then followed the trail he had taken. My son was carrying his 458 Win Mag loaded with 300 grain Barnes TTSX BT bullets made for the 458 SOCOM. As he had rounded the corner, he spotted 2 does feeding and belted one at about 50 meters. It dropped on the spot and thrashed around for a couple of seconds, before regaining its feet and running off. A quick search showed no blood at all, but we quickly found where it had expired after 20 paces.

The bullet hit towards the front of the shoulder and exited around the centre of the off-side shoulder. The exit showed a square hole typical of an expanded Barnes X. My son was carrying a knife he made himself and was keen to test it out breaking down a deer, so he set to work and we recovered the back straps and all 4 legs. The hind was in great condition, and should be a great eater. Fortunately the pack out wasn't too difficult, and we were back at my friends house relaxing by around 8:00am

View attachment 562148View attachment 562149View attachment 562150View attachment 562151View attachment 562153
@rifletuner
Are you related to @Badboymelvin per chance. The 458WM is his favourite sambar cartridge as well
HA HA HA HA HA
Bob

@rifletuner
Are you related to @Badboymelvin per chance. The 458WM is his favourite sambar cartridge as well
HA HA HA HA HA
Bob
Not related, but I do know him. Actually its not uncommon for people to stalk sambar with some bigger bores and there are a few people out stalking with a 458Win loaded with 300 to 400 grain projectiles. Back in the day Ken Pearce, the Author of "Walking Them Up" bought a Browning BAR in 338 Win Mag and had it rebarreld to 458 win. He hunted sambar with that until the new rules of 1996 came into force.

Not related, but I do know him. Actually its not uncommon for people to stalk sambar with some bigger bores and there are a few people out stalking with a 458Win loaded with 300 to 400 grain projectiles. Back in the day Ken Pearce, the Author of "Walking Them Up" bought a Browning BAR in 338 Win Mag and had it rebarreld to 458 win. He hunted sambar with that until the new rules of 1996 came into force.
@rifletuner
I've hunted them with a 444 marlin loaded with Woodleigh 280gn RNSP at 2,300fps. That just flattened them out to 170 yds. I thought even that was to much gun. The last one I shot was with a 270 with 130gr acps and that was bang flop.
To each their own as long as they are happy and getting out hunting.
Bob

Rifle tuner, nice to see another Aussie here.
Good to see you got away and had some success.
If that the knife he made he has done well. How did it go with the task?
Bob, I think the dedicated Sambar stalkers just like the heavy hitters for the thick brush and big animals. They want them to stay down when hit.

Very nice hunt! I was not very familiar with Sambar so I did some research after reading this. Quite interesting for sure. I love the colorations of them. Are they similar in flavor to elk or whitetail?

Bob, I think the dedicated Sambar stalkers just like the heavy hitters for the thick brush and big animals. They want them to stay down when hit.
@CBH Australia
I understand that mate. You can never have to much gun.
All the ones I've shot went down on the spot. Depends on shot placement and projectiles.

I used to hunt rabbits with a 22-250 and got asked why such a big gun for rabbits. Just use a shot gun it doesn't make as much mess and you get to eat more rabbit.
My reply was I don't eat the head and I don't have to spit out shot gun pellets.
Shot placement with the right projectile but sometimes you don't get the perfect presentation so go big or go home empty handed.
As long as people are happy all is goodness matter what you use.
One caveat as long as it ain't a 243. Then you can't be happy.
Bob

@rifletuner
I've hunted them with a 444 marlin loaded with Woodleigh 280gn RNSP at 2,300fps. That just flattened them out to 170 yds. I thought even that was to much gun. The last one I shot was with a 270 with 130gr acps and that was bang flop.
To each their own as long as they are happy and getting out hunting.
Bob
I dont believe in "too much gun" as such. But I am not going to tell people they need a big bore rifle for sambar or anything else. I just like to use the rifles I have, and my son is the same.

We have a lot of different calibres between us, and we carry any of the different rifles in legal calibres that we have on various deer hunts. This particular hunt was the first time he was able to carry his 458 since the rifle was finished, so that was his main reason for using that rifle this time. He just has a lot more opportunity to carry the 458 hunting deer than he does to hunt dangerous game, so I expect he will be out with the 458 again from time to time.

Yes, the paracord wrapped knife in the photo is one that he made and used on the deer. It is made of 3mm SF100 steel and has a skeletonised section on the handle for the paracord wrap, so its very light to carry. The knife worked very well for the brake down of the deer and was still very sharp after he removed the legs & back straps. He also used the knife for butchering duties once we got home. He is still tweaking the knife and plans to make a revised version soon.

Very nice hunt! I was not very familiar with Sambar so I did some research after reading this. Quite interesting for sure. I love the colorations of them. Are they similar in flavor to elk or whitetail?
Sambar are definitely the preeminent game animal in Australia. They are the third largest deer in the world after moose and elk. Back in the day, they were referred to as "Ceylon Elk" in some of the former British colonies.

Unfortunately I havent eaten much elk or whitetail so cant give you an informed answer. But sambar are good to eat. September to October tends to be a prime rutting time, so stags are often not at their best right now. But hinds are not a problem and this hind has been excellent eating.

I dont believe in "too much gun" as such. But I am not going to tell people they need a big bore rifle for sambar or anything else. I just like to use the rifles I have, and my son is the same.

We have a lot of different calibres between us, and we carry any of the different rifles in legal calibres that we have on various deer hunts. This particular hunt was the first time he was able to carry his 458 since the rifle was finished, so that was his main reason for using that rifle this time. He just has a lot more opportunity to carry the 458 hunting deer than he does to hunt dangerous game, so I expect he will be out with the 458 again from time to time.
@rifletuner
It's good to see he is hunting with the 458. The more he uses it the better he will get. When he goes on that hunt of a lifetime he will be comfortable with it oblong with deadly. Can't have to much fun.
Like you I love to grab a rifle and go hunt.
I can't understand why Victoria introduced the 270 minimum for sambar. There's calibers like some of the 6.5s and fast 25s that would be suited. The 30-30 is legal but the 6.5x55 isn't nor the 25-06 and 257 Weatherby. Got me puzzled as I would love to take one with my 25 using 100gn TTSX or 120gn swift A Frame but alas will never be able to so I will just have to use my Whelen.
Bob

@rifletuner
It's good to see he is hunting with the 458. The more he uses it the better he will get. When he goes on that hunt of a lifetime he will be comfortable with it oblong with deadly. Can't have to much fun.
Like you I love to grab a rifle and go hunt.
I can't understand why Victoria introduced the 270 minimum for sambar. There's calibers like some of the 6.5s and fast 25s that would be suited. The 30-30 is legal but the 6.5x55 isn't nor the 25-06 and 257 Weatherby. Got me puzzled as I would love to take one with my 25 using 100gn TTSX or 120gn swift A Frame but alas will never be able to so I will just have to use my Whelen.
Bob
The laws were introduced in the 1970s and with one exception, they havent been updated since then. There used to be a case size limit as well as calibre & bullet weight. But when the WSM line of cartridges were introduced, they did not meet the criteria so the cartridge length was dropped from the regs. But that only made it more ludicrous as you can now legally hunt with a 300 Blackout, but not with something like a 6.5x55. Obviously deer can tell the difference between a 130gn 6.8 bullet vs a 140gn 6.5 bullet :A Whacky::A Whacky::A Whacky:

Sambar are definitely the preeminent game animal in Australia. They are the third largest deer in the world after moose and elk. Back in the day, they were referred to as "Ceylon Elk" in some of the former British colonies.

Unfortunately I havent eaten much elk or whitetail so cant give you an informed answer. But sambar are good to eat. September to October tends to be a prime rutting time, so stags are often not at their best right now. But hinds are not a problem and this hind has been excellent eating.
@rifletuner
The last stag I shot in July a few years back had antlers like frozen turds about 10 inches long. The mate aged him at 9 to ten years old and 270 odd kilo (he is a cattle farmer snd long time hunter)
We hung him skin on for 7 days before butchering. Then vac packed and refrigerated for 14 days.
He was some beautiful tender eating and that massive neck slow cooked in Guinness stout with herbs and spices made up a lot of beautiful Guinness and stout pies. Venison shank stew is very nice, rivals lamb shanks in my books.
Bob
Bob

The laws were introduced in the 1970s and with one exception, they havent been updated since then. There used to be a case size limit as well as calibre & bullet weight. But when the WSM line of cartridges were introduced, they did not meet the criteria so the cartridge length was dropped from the regs. But that only made it more ludicrous as you can now legally hunt with a 300 Blackout, but not with something like a 6.5x55. Obviously deer can tell the difference between a 130gn 6.8 bullet vs a 140gn 6.5 bullet :A Whacky::A Whacky::A Whacky:
@rifletuner
The DSE has some strange ideas that's for sure. Didn't you know deer can read balistic charts and are that sensitive they can tell the difference between a 140gn 270 and a 140gn 6.5. And God forbid if you hit one with a 120gr 25 cal they laugh at you because it only tickles them.
Some decisions have me scratching my headat the logic.
The 300blk is good in a suppressed rifle with night vision for poaching but not hunting legally. Why did the make it legal. The mind boggles.
As long as I play their game I'm fine.
Bob

At the time the Regs were originally drafted, the advice was for 30-06 to be the minimum calibre. The government of the day went with 270 Win instead. Sambar are both large and more tenacious than most deer species. In their home range sambar evolved with tigers and dholes as their main predators. Their muscles contain a very high level of anaerobic muscle fibres which means they can run a fair distance with little or no blood oxygen. Not unusual for a sambar to run a 100 meters even after its heart is blown apart by the shot. That coupled with the thick overgrown areas they are generally hunted in is why many prefer the larger calibres.

@rifletuner nice to see your son's appreciation of quality knives. I have something of a similar design by a Victorian maker so I looked twice at the image/shape.

Plenty of knife enthusiasts here If he wants to start a thread on his design or others.

I would suggest any trading is best to be kept as pm as the site may not want him promising sales if he is not a sponsor.

I also learned something new from @Hunter4752001
It's a great explanation of their heritage and biological makeup.

RT, funny you should mention Ken Pearce and his .458 and 1996. I think he's still using it as he bought some Woodleigh .458 400gr PPSN from us just before Christmas.
Grant.
Yeah, Im not surprised because it was clear he loved the 458 with a 400gn bullet on sambar. He is definitely not the only old timer that likes the bigger bores on sambar. Lu Cervi started carrying a 375H&H after what he considered to be poor terminal performance from smaller cartridges.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StuCred

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?