AUSTRALIA: Few Foxes - Australia

Matt 72

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Been getting into the foxes over last few months with some success, couple better nights we shot 15 and 14 so few getting about !!!
Shot 36 in four visits to one farm and 30 for 3 visits to another so farmers happy with us !!!
I use a Rem 700 17 Fireball sending a 20grn bullet at 4050fps !
My mate using a Sako 85 22-250 with Sako 55grn ammo !

645AB697-7CE7-4357-A3AF-9A9BA22D677B.jpeg
E58A99F8-4020-43A3-A0D1-A47F56D92207.jpeg
33C02058-A62A-4E25-947D-02BAF947D77A.jpeg
1579C6E3-DC96-4767-A200-B8D8D02E0438.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
look a lot like our jackal size
interesting to see the one in a tree

Lol. The only non invasive BGA is salt water crocs, and they are fully protected. All deer, introduced, buffalo, banteng, camels, donkeys, feral horses, goats, pigs, foxes, rabbits, all introduced. The scourge of cane toads, yep, introduced..Wild ring neck pheasant, only in one small isolated island, introduced.
Kangaroos, in vast numbers, definitely not introduced, shooting, not hunting, to keep numbers down. Same deal with wallabies in some places..
Don’t start me on weeds.. just came back from South Africa, which was devoid of African Boxthorn, and African Boneseed, which sadly, is not the case for my part of Victoria.
Probably missed a few

Looks fun. Couple questions from as fur trapper here in the states. Is there a market for their fur? Also do people trap them?
No there’s no money in the fur now , there was back in the early 80s !!
Back then they were getting up to 40+ dollars a skin which was big money for that time period!
Trapping has never been vey popular here they are mainly shot or a lot of farmers use 1080 poison on them !!

Matt, good job. Back in the day my brother was shooting foxes on a professional basis. Good money at the time and kept the foxes down. Then the animal rights types in Europe started complaining about fur and the bottom dropped out of the market. Ever since then the fox population has boomed out of control. In Vic there's a bounty system, but its so low that it wont even cover your costs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petervolt

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?