Are we missing out on the true African experience by blind hunting only

Not to be disagreeable but I am answering no.

As of yet I have never had anyone point a Roscoe at my coconut demanding I hunt any particular way.

My money, my hunt, my desires.

I have seen many animals from a hide which I might not have seen otherwise.

I have replied with my thoughts to a similar post somewhere before, but the ideology behind hunting the hides versus spot & stalk is a great discussion worth having. There are many pros and cons for the bow hunter to consider....

The vast majority of first-time bow hunters seeking a plaisgame safari in Africa do so with with the idea that this is going to be a "once in a lifetime" trip, and they will not likely make it back to Africa again. Most also have a trophy "wish list" of the animals they would like to pursue in order of personal importance, along with a set amount of days with the goal of taking as many of these species as possible. There is certainly nothing wrong with that mindset, and given these objectives, most PHs will likely suggest that best game plan for their hunters to have the most shot opportunity will be hunting from the hides at water and/or food sources for the majority of the time spent in the bush. Still, with that being said, any experienced African bow hunting outfitter should be willing to offer spot & stalk opportunities and even encourage them when the conditions dictate.

The experienced bow hunting outfitters will almost always have scores of trail cams deployed to keep track of the latest movements of the various species. Additionally, the best outfits will utilize any number of different hide configurations including elevated hides, dug-out hides, tree stands, pop-up ground blinds, and even makeshift brush blinds when necessary to get on a particular animal that won't follow the script. In my experiences having hunted with many different African PHs over the years, the very best and most knowledgeable PHs will have all of these options included into their game plan along with the willingness and eagerness to spot & stalk as much as the client would like.

Now, here is the big disclaimer for those bow hunters who prefer to spot & stalk over hunting from the hides: It is important for you as the hunter to understand that a big part your success will depend upon your own level of skill, experience, and dedication when stalking with a bow. Stalking will increase the challenge for success exponentially, and the hunter's expectations must be adjusted according to that level of challenge. When planning the safari, each bow hunter needs to decide if the thrill and challenge of the stalking experience itself will be the priority over putting an animal in the salt. If that answer is yes, and your expectations for stalking success are realistic, it is, by far, the most rewarding way to take an animal in my opinion... On the other hand, if getting as many of your wish list species is the priority for your particular African bowhunting experience, then the majority of your time in the bush will be best spent hunting from the hides.

The best part of this is that Africa is a bow hunters paradise, and any hunter would be hard-pressed to find a destination that offers more opportunity at so many different species in one place. Because of the variety of species Africa offers, your opportunities should be plentiful. Additionally, some of these species are much more conclusive to be hunted spot & stalk than others, and your chances will be greater focusing on those particular species. An experienced bow hunting PH will have an intimate knowledge and understanding of the habits of these different species, and can advise on which species will offer the best chances for stalking shot opportunities.

Last edited:
My ..Totally.... Looks a bit small and sad looking at your post bob.....:(....:D
Hey Mike, working off my phone and didn't have my glasses so had to be able to see what I was doing;) But all good now, found my glasses:)

Serious I've had several PH's offer their experience where they had hunters come together and one bowhunts the other rifle. Typical story is that by day, the bow hunter has wounded and lost something, gotten an animal or two. Maybe not the best trophies. And the rifle hunter who has been spot and stalk hunting has seen and taken incredible critters, probably has 7, 8, or 9 animals and the bow guy asks if he can borrow a rifle. They go out and see a representative animal the PH tells him to shoot.... "yea but it's not as big as my friends" . So the PH explains yea well he had 7 days, you only have 2 left. We just don't have time to find a bigger one.

The bow hunter goes home unhappy and doesn't tip much.

On February of this year ... I successfully dispatched this man eating forest panther ( Up on authorization from the North Eastern Forest Department ) .
Screenshot_20200130-064452_01.png

I shot the brute from a macchan / Tree Blind ... At night , over torch light .

In my career as a professional shikaree ... I have dispatched dangerous game , by the following means :
> Over bait
> Conducting Beats
> Stalking
> Over dog

Despite enjoying all 4 methods , immensely ... The most exciting method ( For me , personally ) has always been ... By way of good , old fashioned stalking .
As a professional shikaree ... I absolutely used to LOATH arranging beats ( Extremely labor intensive ) . How ever , it is really enjoyable ... If I am the 1 doing the shooting .

I always used to secretly hope that the client does NOT select a beat , as his favored method of game getting . But , as they always say ... The customer is always right .

Baskin and Robbins has been very successful with their business plan. Serve 31 different flavors and make a lot of people happy. I would not knock the hunting style of another hunter- rifle or bow.

It is the hunter's choice, the hunter's money and the hunter's happiness.

At home I hunt both ways and enjoy both, however I prefer spot and stalk both with rifle and bow. Spot and stalk bowhunting for mule deer is one of my favourites. If I’m after a specific whitetail however, I’ve found blind hunting to be the most effective method for me. With either rifle or bow.
Now my two Africa trips were spot and stalk rifle hunts and that would be my preference over a complete blind hunt for all the reasons stated above. But on my first hunt in Namibia we made a very, very hasty blind to ambush some baboons that we could hear coming for water while we were having lunch. My second hunt in the Eastern Cape we sat in a blind at night for porcupine. I really enjoyed both experiences and it helped to push a bushpig hunt way up on my list for next time. I’d actually like to mix in a little archery hunting along with rifle hunting on my next trip but not sure if it will happen or not.

yes, you are. sorry to say it bluntly, but yes.

I have set a lot over water, but on last trip i stalked a kudu and two warthogs. African game is very easy to stalk compared to whitetail. you will miss a lot by setting in a hide all day every day. I will do both on my next trip

In two trips to Namibia, I have shot only an impala from a blind. From hunting perspective I enjoy mostly walking and stalking. But from overall African experience, I really enjoy sitting in blind. I dont need to shoot. But, seeing and hearing the birds, looking at various game species taking the turn on the water hole, having a chance to make an excellent photo, trying to judge the size of horn, seeing some animals not usually seeing during stalk, fish eagle for example,... Is much different experience all together. To me, safari in Africa, is not only about shooting. Shooting is just a part of it. And sitting in blind is part of it, just like sharing a camp fire, having late night hunting story, sightseeng the local landmarks, tracking on the spoor, the more of these pieces I experience, the better!

In two trips to Namibia, I have shot only an impala from a blind.
I can’t believe it but I forgot that my impala from Namibia was shot from a blind! I also sat for a day in a last ditch effort for a Kudu that was unsuccessful. Better get my memory checked!

I personally think it all comes down to the clients expectations and needs, I always suggest to my bow hunters to mix it up and do some walk and stalk hunting as well as I feel if you just sit in the blind all the time you do miss out on some of the great experiences a walk and stalk hunt create for a hunter.

In South Africa we are blessed to have diversity on most of our hunting areas which offers hunters a choice of what they like or might not like. If you are a bow hunter and the most effective way of harvesting your animals is sitting in a blind that is the way you will have to hunt to get all your desired trophies. But nothing will hurt you on a 7 day hunt should you want to do some walk and stalk hunting. I always suggest hunters do the walk and stalk hunting in the time frames the waterholes and blinds are not that active. This way you also up the chance of taking a trophy regardless.

All my best,

Jacques

on my trip 3 years ago for a 10 day hunt spent 8 of the days in a blind by water holes bowhunting and two days rifle hunting because were not seeing the variety game at water holes. what was interesting would see a limited number of animals by waterhole (250000acre concession)during day went in july dark moon 38 degrees in morning up 80 by mid day .one of main waterholes would be dominated by kudus 15 to 25 every day which kept alot smaller away .so after few days of seeing same thing went spot and stalk with rifle what was amazing is the number of animals seen outside the waterhole hundreds . looking back wish would have tried spot and stalk with bow to break monotony of sitting in a hide and did enjoy spot and stalk with rifle (dont throw me out of the archery society for that comment) as a side note the most amazing thing to see in africa was the tracking skills of ph and trackers.I used to think I was decent a tracking wounded deer and bear but after seeing their skills in action no even close to being in their league
@chiefdale
I'm a rifle shooter and shot most of my game in spot and stalk. Due to unforseen circumstances I had to shoot 2 from a blind. I personally found it much harder physically and mentally from the blind.
Sitting and waiting and waiting and waiting some more is very frustrating trying to select the right animal and questioning will the next on be bigger or is this the biggest I will see. Also just sitting in a blind made out of thorn bush in 36 degrees Celsius with very little shade can get draining.
Both spot and stole and blind hunting are challenging but sitting and waiting noiseless is bloody hard yakka. Fortunately I had a good PH who chose my 2 animals well from a blind.
IMG_20190903_181521.jpg

My Oryx/ gemsbuck shot from a,blind after a 4 hour wait.
Rifle was my 35 Whelen loaded with a 250 grain Hornaday roundnose at 2,700 fps. Range 120 yards. He ran about 15 yards and piled up. Thru and thru shot on the shoulder.
Bob

Not to be disagreeable but I am answering no.

As of yet I have never had anyone point a Roscoe at my coconut demanding I hunt any particular way.

My money, my hunt, my desires.

I have seen many animals from a hide which I might not have seen otherwise.
@Von S.
Well said the amount of game I saw at the waterhole was unbelievable and the bird life that you see can't be seen from a bakki.
Get the best of both worlds. Spot and stalk as well as blind. You WILL be pleasantly surprised.
Bob

I have to do a lot of hunting to get within bow range by walk and stalk methods. You also need a little luck.
What I am saying is that blind hunting is usually the only way you will get a fair number of game "in the salt" over a typical 10 say trip.

But I really think you should dedicate some time to walk and stalk, you may get lucky and its the best way to spend time in the bush. Taking the bushveld in is part of the trip for sure.

Having lived most of my adult life between Middle East and Africa in places where temperatures can have major excursions, I cannot stress enough the need for acclimatization before getting into the hunt; walk and stalk is the most rewarding experience a hunter can long for; but even though temperatures might not be extreme, a good 2-3 days of acclimatization is well worth the wait.

I'm a rifle hunter but on my first trip to Africa I will definitely spend a day or two watching a water hole because that's kinda what comes to mind when I think of hunting Africa. But I sure as heck won't be spending my whole trip in a blind. Just my 2 cents

The answer is to do both. I had the opposite experience- on the most recent trip spot and stalk failed miserably due to hyper spooky animals that would go flying the second we saw them at 200-300 yards. After two days of that, we tried blind hunting on two cold and windy days in a constructed blind by a waterhole and in one we built ourselves. I had never blind hunted before, and it was a blast. Sometimes there would be down time, but I got some spectacular photos of animals that I would have never seen otherwise. Mongoose, tons of bird photos, a huge monitor lizard, and a massive herd of young eland. Sometimes, animals would come to within a few feet of us such that they would react to the sound of the camera shutter. It was also a great time for whispered conversations about which individuals were of exceptional quality, which ones were not, and ecological descriptions of what we were seeing. Later in the week we reverted to spot and stalk, but having two days in the blind during the middle of the hunt was a relaxing and recharging interlude during an otherwise frenetic and strenuous hunt. My two "exceptional trophy" animals were taken from the blind. One shot on a big springbok was easy, but the other was as challenging as heck because I had to thread the needle to connect with a record class impala ram while not hitting the kudu cows with whom he was consorting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pinkbeautyclub

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?