AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
AK WSF, AMM, DSC, GOA, GRAA, NRA, PHASA, SCI, WSF
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Zimbabwe and Argentina, Canada, England, Macedonia, Mexico, Serbia, Alaska, USA
You guys who are using Apple Air Tags, do they work if placed inside the gun cases? So far I've only used them on the outside of luggage.

You guys who are using Apple Air Tags, do they work if placed inside the gun cases? So far I've only used them on the outside of luggage.
Mine did this past year on trip to Zimbabwe. It was cool to see where it was when I was in Doha!

You can see if your rifle case & luggage makes the plane and when you land you can check to be sure it arrived.

Just used one for the first time Joburg to Bulawayo. Worked perfect. Will always use one now. Bought four.

Several of my hunters have used them last year and were happy with the peace of mind. I think this year will be my year to try them. If you stay on one airline the baggage tracking of say Delta is great But the extra reassurance would be nice.

I used them inside my luggage on recent trips to Israel and Europe. What an outstanding product!

I don’t know, but they may not work if inside of an aluminum case (signal attenuation). They definitely work in pelican type cases. Saw several folks using them on my trip last August.

Note: I did see someone get busted for some off brand version attached to the side of the bag in RSA. ( I think because it used a battery??). The gate attendant made the poor guy take it off his bag right at the check in counter.

I've been using them for about six-months now, one attached to my truck, one to a trailer, one to each gun case and piece of luggage so am very well aware of how they work. Just haven't tried them inside a gun case. Glad to know they work there as well.

Several of my hunters have used them last year and were happy with the peace of mind. I think this year will be my year to try them. If you stay on one airline the baggage tracking of say Delta is great But the extra reassurance would be nice.
I have not used Air Tags yet, but plan to get some for this years hunt in Zambia. When I flew to Alaska this past September, I was on American Airlines and checked their app to see that my bag and rifle were loaded onto each flight. According to the app, they were. However, my bag didn't arrive in Fairbanks. Several bags were taken off the plane in Seattle, due to a weight and balance issue. I guess the airline didn't scan the bags removed or update the app. There were 15-20 people standing in line in Fairbanks (the very slow customer service line) trying to figure out where their bags were.

It’s a cheap piece of technology that will give you piece of mind, I’ve used them in my luggage as well and I think they are great!

I have not used Air Tags yet, but plan to get some for this years hunt in Zambia. When I flew to Alaska this past September, I was on American Airlines and checked their app to see that my bag and rifle were loaded onto each flight. According to the app, they were. However, my bag didn't arrive in Fairbanks. Several bags were taken off the plane in Seattle, due to a weight and balance issue. I guess the airline didn't scan the bags removed or update the app. There were 15-20 people standing in line in Fairbanks (the very slow customer service line) trying to figure out where their bags were.
So you are saying the airlines don't always tell the truth?

IMO, no hunter should fly without Air Tags in every bag, or case. I learned the hard way on a recent bear hunt in Canada.

Flying back from High Level, Alberta with the plane over weight, several of us hunters had to choose one bag to leave for a next day flight to Edmonton. I had 3. My bow, clothes/gear, and 2 caped bear. This was an easy choice. I needed to get the hides into another freezer to prevent slippage until the next flight and my bow stays with me so I left the gear. The overnight was in Edmonton and flight back through to Chicago the next day so I figured I'd have plenty time get my 3rd bag for the flight home. The bag never arrived and I couldn't wait for it. The airline agent told me that they would ground ship the bag to me in the states. I spent the next several weeks in communication before they told be it was a lost bag and they were sorry. They could offer me $200 CAN for compensation. Between clothes and gear, I had several thousands of dollars lost. (My personal opinion was the small airline realized a $200 claim is cheaper than a $500+ UPS ground to US.)

Having an Air Tag in that bag would have been incredible. Now, I never travel without, in each and every bag.

Do you need signal (Wi-Fi, or cell) for the tags to work?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RossAlcala

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

the best gear
  • Accurate Powders
  • Alliant Powder
  • Hodgdon Powder
  • RAMSHOT
  • Winchester Powders
  • Winchester
  • CCI
  • Federal
  • Remington
  • .458 Caliber
  • 10MM
  • 270 Caliber
  • 7MM
  • 8MM
  • 9MM
Redfishga1 wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I would be interested in the ruger if the other guy is not.
Bartbux wrote on franzfmdavis's profile.
Btw…this was Kuche….had a great time.
Sorry to see your troubles on pricing.

Happy to call you and talk about experience…I’m also a Minnesota guy.