Anyone use a fixed power Leupold on their large bore bolt actions?

stk

AH veteran
Reaction score
I've got a .458 win mag coming my way and thought about going with the FX-II ultralight 2.5-20 in quick detach rings. Anyone currently have one mounted on their rifle? How do you like it compared the VX-3HD variable power? Is the glass as nice, or is it a step down?

Phil Shoemaker, a well known Alaska brown bear guide has had one on his 458 WM ('ol ugly) for a good 20 years.

I have a old 2.5 x Redfield on my 350 rem mag & old Leupold M8 4xs on my 9.3x62 & 318 Westley Richards, for hunting up to about 150 meters never found the need for any more magnification. I have watched my sons miss chances at game at close range in thick bush with their 6 -12 , wound up to 12x after target shooting earlier in the day, i got tired of telling them to wind the scope down to its lowest power when hunting.

I've got a .458 win mag coming my way and thought about going with the FX-II ultralight 2.5-20 in quick detach rings. Anyone currently have one mounted on their rifle? How do you like it compared the VX-3HD variable power? Is the glass as nice, or is it a step down?
No.

Phil Shoemaker, a well known Alaska brown bear guide has had one on his 458 WM ('ol ugly) for a good 20 years.

and his daughter has one on her Echols 416 Rem. They seem to like them. Both have been used in Buffalo as well. Tia shot a sheep at 350 yards with her 416.

I’ve got three, including a heavy duplex version that is waiting for a 458

I used a Leupold 2.5 power for a hunt in Uganda on my 500 A2. Withstood the recoil fine but did not like the lack of magnification. Now have a Nikon Slughunter 1.75x6

I have that scope on a couple of heavy recoiling rifles. More eye relief than most at almost 5 inches. Proven toughness. Excellent exit pupil of 8 mm. All around KISS. What’s not to like

That is exactly the scope that I have on my M70 416RM and I like it very much.

Most of my scopes are fixed power Leupolds. I only buy variables when I can't find a fixed power in the range I want. And yes to the most part what I want is 4x and 6x.

Thanks for the replies everyone! I think that's what I'll go with then.

those didnt stand recoil from 460 or 378 sent back refurbished ebayed ....
in quick detach rings. Anyone currently have one mounted on their rifle? How do you like it compared the VX-3HD variable power? Is the glass as nice, or is it a step down?

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't used one, but I love my Leupold 1.5-5x on my CZ 550 in 500 Jeffery. I have it mounted in Talley steel QR rings, over 400 full power rounds through it, still awesome.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maybelle41

Latest profile posts

EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on MarcoPani's profile.
Happy Birthday, from Grahamstown, South Africa.
I hope your day is great!
Cheers
Marius
EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on Ilkay Taskin's profile.
Happy Birthday from Grahamstown, South Africa! I hope you have a great day!
Cheers, Marius
idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]