Anyone Recently Return From SA via Amsterdam?

Bill DeHaan

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
South Africa, USA; Alaska, Michigan, Indiana, Virginia, Iowa, Nebraska, Kansas, Missouri, Montana, Idaho, Texas. Canada; Ontario
KLM told me this AM that their new Covid restrictions would allow US citizens to fly back home from SA, through Amsterdam, with proof they (I) were only getting on a connecting flight there. I have read the restrictions and I don't share that understanding.

Has anyone recently made a successful flight from SA through Amsterdam back to the States?

I'm with you.
I get it that "transiting" travellers, who stay "air side" do not enter the country, are not subject to quarantine etc., but I'd want it spelled out myself.

Currently all flights are banned from:
Screen Shot 2021-05-01 at 20.10.31.png

https://www.government.nl/topics/co...-from-abroad/dutch-flight-ban-and-docking-ban

Update: I just spoke with KLM on this. Their rep spend some time looking up the travel restrictions, reading them, and offered her opinion. It was her interpretation that a US citizen would be allowed to fly thru or "transit" Amsterdam when flying from Johannesburg back to the US. You will need to provide "proof" that you are not staying such as a connecting flight out of Amsterdam. To be more sure about the interpretation, she offered that I should call the Dutch Embassy in Washington, which I have now done.

The Dutch Consular advised that he had heard reports of travelers being stopped from boarding in Jo'burg but didn't know the current status. He gave me a phone number and suggested I speak with their "marechaussee" (military police), which I did. This fellow listened to my question, restated it back to me for confirmation, then told me that yes I would be able to return to the States from South Africa if I was only transiting through Amsterdam. I repeated his answer for confirmation and he said, "That is correct. If you stay within the International terminal you will have no problem."

Famous last words until you actually land or try to board the flight and some person who interprets it differently tells you NO

I have always said that if you don't like a answer call around until you find someone who tells you what your want to hear.

Good Luck

@Bill DeHaan I had guests here two weeks ago where KLM cancelled their return trip 2 days before they were due to leaveback to the USA via Amsterdam. We had to rebook them onto Qatar to get back home.

Marius,
Thanks for that reply. I assume they were US citizens? We are prepared to change our flight as well....
This whole thing is getting old...

Bill, I had clients from South Carolina here mid April, who flew in on KLM (JFK-Amsterdam-JHB) and had their return flights canceled and changed to Air France without being notified by KLM. Luckily we phoned to confirm Covid requirements, and were notified by the KLM desk at OR Tambo.

Another hunter from the same group traveled here via Emirates, also had his return flight canceled, and booked a flight back with Swiss Air

Need to double check your flights. THe JNB-AMS flight has been cancelled it appears. I’ve been watching all this as I’m booked on Delta 204 for late July. I thought AMS was an option but now those flights go to London on the way back. Don’t do it! Use Qatar.

Our return trip through Amsterdam was also canceled the day before.

I just spent a good part of today rebooking a flight that was canceled from JNB to Heathrow on my return flight. After 5 hours I am rebooked through Amsterdam. Frustration at the highest level.

I just returned to the US from South Africa via Doha on Qatar. I would not hesitate to book flights that way in the event you need to. The planes were nice, service was good, and the food was above my expectations for airplane food. The Doha airport is not hard to traverse, signage is in English so pretty easy to follow.

It does probably make for a longer ride home in some instances, but worth it to get there and home again. It is an 8+ hr flight from OR Tambo to Doha.

What a train wreck!

It appears not every flight is getting cancelled. Flights are made as scheduled during the week and reservations can still be made and accepted. But not honored in all cases clearly.

“It hell of a way to run a railroad.”

What a train wreck!

It appears not every flight is getting cancelled. Flights are made as scheduled during the week and reservations can still be made and accepted. But not honored in all cases clearly.

“It hell of a way to run a railroad.”

Instead of purchasing a ticket, I think they sell "options to cancel". You may get there or you may not.
Hard earned lesson in the best of times.
Hope you can work it out.

Prior to the pandemic, it was always recommended for hunters to avoid Amsterdam and now it is even worse. I’ll be traveling without a firearm as they have never granted my firearms transit permit. When I reached out last week for an update I was told a decision had not yet been reached and it could take an additional eight weeks! I am supposed to leave this Friday, May 7th. Covid test tomorrow with no guarantee of results before departure. It will be a miracle if I ever get on a plane and even more miraculous if I get back. I guess it’s part of the adventure.

Prior to the pandemic, it was always recommended for hunters to avoid Amsterdam and now it is even worse. I’ll be traveling without a firearm as they have never granted my firearms transit permit. When I reached out last week for an update I was told a decision had not yet been reached and it could take an additional eight weeks! I am supposed to leave this Friday, May 7th. Covid test tomorrow with no guarantee of results before departure. It will be a miracle if I ever get on a plane and even more miraculous if I get back. I guess it’s part of the adventure.
"the adventure continues".. Went thru AMS in 1985, with guns, no big deal then. Left Schipol and went into town, took a canal boat tour, gone all day, went back to the airport, took off for Vienna, then Khartum, then Tanzania. Those days are gone forever I fear..

Instead of purchasing a ticket, I think they sell "options to cancel". You may get there or you may not.
Hard earned lesson in the best of times.
Hope you can work it out.
They have to refund if they changed the flights.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khandi

Latest profile posts

I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's
ghay wrote on professor's profile.
Hello,
Would you consider selling just the Barnes 235's and 250g TTSX's?