Anyone own an Argo?

For only $85k, you can have one of these

1705960061340.png

Check these out not an Argo but much nicer with a price to match. https://www.marshmaster.com/product/mm-2lx/
My cousin had an Argo, 6x6 it was loud,slow, lots of maintenance and his had a leak but it was a beast through the swamp.

Attachments

I have a camo 2002 Vanguard 6x6 that I purchased a decade ago from a pharmacist in Anchorage - $3995 on CL, and another $900 to ship it here.

Our winter moose season is often lacking enough snow for proper snowmachine travel; for such years, I bought it for that, though I have used it for other things too. It does not get used every year, but when I need it I am mighty glad I have it. Original plans were to put tracks on it, but I use it infrequently enough that I haven't sunk the money into any yet.

I have no experience with an 8x8, so I can't comment on how they might be better, though it makes sense. I will add that I once hauled out 2 paddlehorn moose, my hunting buddy and me, and our gear, in one load, so I have no issues with my 6x6.

To this day, I have no idea why he sold it so cheap; it has been completely trouble free. The only thing I have changed through the years is new tires, and I added a winch to the front. It has hauled more than a few moose for me and my friends.

IMG_1899.JPG

Although its no comparison, I found a side by side UTV with Camso or Mattco tracks to be remarkably good, although they run $6000-$7000 for the tracks. I was able to use my UTV with tracks to pull my truck 100 yards over 30" of snow when I got stuck.

No, my UTV doesn't float. No, I can't take it into a bog like an Argo, but it does have the tractor benefits for food plots and agriculture/forestry uses that an Argo doesn't have.

One of each would be ideal, but for those needing more capability than a typical UTV, I recommend looking into tracks for your UTV.
Have seen articles on Youtube about making your own fracks, Starting with snowmobile tracks. My machine would have to have the smaller wheels. Right now the ground clearance is better so I do not high center. I like the fact it swims. Taking this to Florida to visit family, find the big ones in the bush-pythons, I need a distinctive hat band or belt.

I have a camo 2002 Vanguard 6x6 that I purchased a decade ago from a pharmacist in Anchorage - $3995 on CL, and another $900 to ship it here.

Our winter moose season is often lacking enough snow for proper snowmachine travel; for such years, I bought it for that, though I have used it for other things too. It does not get used every year, but when I need it I am mighty glad I have it. Original plans were to put tracks on it, but I use it infrequently enough that I haven't sunk the money into any yet.

I have no experience with an 8x8, so I can't comment on how they might be better, though it makes sense. I will add that I once hauled out 2 paddlehorn moose, my hunting buddy and me, and our gear, in one load, so I have no issues with my 6x6.

To this day, I have no idea why he sold it so cheap; it has been completely trouble free. The only thing I have changed through the years is new tires, and I added a winch to the front. It has hauled more than a few moose for me and my friends.

View attachment 582497
Nice machine!

Although its no comparison, I found a side by side UTV with Camso or Mattco tracks to be remarkably good, although they run $6000-$7000 for the tracks. I was able to use my UTV with tracks to pull my truck 100 yards over 30" of snow when I got stuck.

No, my UTV doesn't float. No, I can't take it into a bog like an Argo, but it does have the tractor benefits for food plots and agriculture/forestry uses that an Argo doesn't have.

One of each would be ideal, but for those needing more capability than a typical UTV, I recommend looking into tracks for your UTV.
We have a UTV at work with the Camso tracks, as my buddy says it goes “like a raped ape through the snow”, haven’t gotten it stuck yet but if it ever does, it’s not going to be pretty getting it unstuck even with the winch, it’s gone through some nasty places.

We have a UTV at work with the Camso tracks, as my buddy says it goes “like a raped ape through the snow”, haven’t gotten it stuck yet but if it ever does, it’s not going to be pretty getting it unstuck even with the winch, it’s gone through some nasty places.
Still sorting out my tire options for this year with my Max 4. Going to install (sticks) on my roll bars for shooting coyote or hogs. Thinking of going full on and building a tuna tower for some extra elevation. Collapsible of course. You offshore guys know what I am talking about.Cheers.

Still sorting out my tire options for this year with my Max 4. Going to install (sticks) on my roll bars for shooting coyote or hogs. Thinking of going full on and building a tuna tower for some extra elevation. Collapsible of course. You offshore guys know what I am talking about.Cheers.
The Argo I bought has bear claws on it for tires although I don’t know if they will still allow it to be amphibious

Many years ago for a 5 yr stretch I did a drop hunt, guys had an 8 wheel Argo, took buddy and I in dropped and picked up on designated day. The Argo was the only machine that could do as we needed, 10 KM of ripped mine rd, followed by 3 KM of swampy trail, then steep climb and finally 22 KM above treeline in the alpine, to be "dropped" off.

We annually shot a moose and caribou each, Argo took 2 butchered animals out per trip. No other machine I know of could have completed that.

As others stated, they buck and bounce, hidden rocks or big tundra grass tussocks were also issues and not driven over if possible. Entering the steep beaver runs or steep banked creeks gave our laps a flood of cold water and were best avoided.

Also I would suggest as others state, verify belt, tracks and SPROCKETS before going far from civilization, our last 10 day drop hunt turned into a 16 day abandonment when the Argo stripped the low gear and a 2000 KM rnd trip, 3 day expedited part from Alberta then return and repair before we and our alpine laying meat were finally recovered. Days of half raw moose, liver, heart and tenderloin gets tiring.

Hearing the Argo on day 16 after so many days of silence was certainly a welcome sound. Here in BC there are less and less reasons to own one as the Gov keeps putting no vehicles above certain elevation regs.

IMO they are the most overall universal off rd machine but excel in the muskeg, bogs and swamps. For hard pack rds get an ATV or SXS.

MB

Nope. I don't own enough tools to keep one of those running.
They do not require a lot of tools. 9/16" and 1/2", screwdriver set and an allan wrench set will do most of it ;) Of course use them you will.....

I bought one years ago just for the heck of it. Played around on the Minnesota place with it in tbe swamps and snow and even the pond. The 8 wheel with plastic tracks equipped with ice cleats. It even has a block on the back to mount a 5hp or smaller outboard motor to give it more speed in the water. It has a enclosure and a factory heater. They do float as I assume everyone knows so great for ice fishing.

The 8 wheel rides much better and hauls way more than the 6 wheel. It will get up and run maybe 18 mph in high gear.

Pretty awesome machine! I always wanted to take it to Alaska, perhaps hunt the 40 mile herd with it...

It's not going to be very useful in the Texas Hill Country so we will probably put it up for sale;)

I’ve got an 8x8. Don’t use it every year, but has been the only way to get to some of my hunting ground when the river is up. I have a 10hp merc on the back. The 8x8 with the larger tires is the way to go if you’re going to be using as a boat much. It’s not a great boat, but is the best way to get around in the bottoms where I hunt when the river is out of its banks. It’s best if you have 2 people when going in and out of high water. One to operate the outboard and the other to steer the Argo on land. If not you have to lean over the seat to steer on land or jump back and forth from front to back. I also used an 8x8 in Mozambique. Worked great and we hauled a buff, reed Buck and 4 humans out of the swamps In one. They are slow,loud and hot (moz) But beats the hell out of walking/swimming

Learn to fix it and properly tighten everything down, before going anywhere of consequence. They break down routinely. Bring a small tool kit and parts. Ensure you have a rope-a-long or something to extend the winch, or go with another argo for when it gets stuck. They do get stuck, and brutally as the bottom creates a "suck" that makes it extremely difficult to unstick. Say goodbye to your back. Don't cross fast water, find a slow pool or go up slow water. If you get sideways in fast water, even with an outboard, your gonna swamp and flip.

Fly in Bear camp Western AK. Pictures worth 1000 words?
20190825_131354.jpg
20190825_131425.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MckinleyEv

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?