Anyone own an Argo?

Reaction score
Media
Anyone own an Argo and have any experiences they can share ? There’s one forsale locally that I’m thinking of buying. Any experiences or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Anyone own an Argo and have any experiences they can share ? There’s one forsale locally that I’m thinking of buying. Any experiences or advice would be greatly appreciated.
SkinnerBlade, I’ve hunted in them many times and used Argo (8 wheel & 6 wheel versions) for “property surveys”in remote areas, swampy areas and “Moose type” habitat.…although I did Not own the Argo. The 8 wheel is superior and like a tank - really goes “almost” anywhere - gets into and usually Out of places an ATV or side by side never could - they even float and can cross small ponds or open water (as long as the water is calm with No strong current).. For a Moose hunter or someone living in Moose type habitats they are effective transportation….thats the GOOD. But here’s why I don’t own one: The Bad, they have poor suspension and you bounce around like on a bucking bronco - even at slow speeds you feel every bump and after an hour it’s tiring. They are LOUD - an Army Tank makes less noise — nothing “stealthy” about them. For 95% of everything I do - an ATV or Side x Side is the Best but for wet, thick swampy, marshy areas - ARGO or Go Home (or Walk/Swim it yourself). I wish there really was a Do-it-All vehicle but for open terrain, woods, fields, logging roads - ATV or side x side and for Deep Snow a “Snowmobile”, open water = a Boat. I guess an Argo gets you into more places then an ATV so if you can only have One vehicle of off road maybe “Argo” but they are damn uncomfortable compared to Side x Side or ATV…also Loud, bumpy, slow,

I have a 2010 HDI, that I bought new. It is the 8 wheel model. I have only ran it with Argo rubber tracks. The bottom 2 pictures are from 2023. The first picture is a prior. I use it ever year for moose hunting.
Edit: the bottom picture was winch-time. That is a very bad hole. Without the trailer it is not an issue.
1705927729781.jpeg

1705928070823.jpeg

1705928187164.jpeg

Last edited:
IDMay375 - I have No Idea where you were going in those Photos BUT wish I was there !!! Looks like a GREAT excursion and into an area that few people go.
This past year's moose hunt. Not successful as to killing. But, had a great time, even though it was an extremely Rainy time. And that is considering it is usually always Wet there. Winters have been tough on the local moose.

I have a Max 4, not an Argo. I purchased it with the idea of a complete rebuild. 6x6, problem with most is we run 2-4 lbs of air pressure in the tires. Mine has the optional 25 inch tires, so no tracks unless I run the smaller wheels, which I may do.Key issue is there is no suspension, I am going to add small shock absorbers to the seat frames during the rebuild. Should smooth out the ride. There is a good website for all machines in the 6x6 world. Good luck.

SkinnerBlade, I’ve hunted in them many times and used Argo (8 wheel & 6 wheel versions) for “property surveys”in remote areas, swampy areas and “Moose type” habitat.…although I did Not own the Argo. The 8 wheel is superior and like a tank - really goes “almost” anywhere - gets into and usually Out of places an ATV or side by side never could - they even float and can cross small ponds or open water (as long as the water is calm with No strong current).. For a Moose hunter or someone living in Moose type habitats they are effective transportation….thats the GOOD. But here’s why I don’t own one: The Bad, they have poor suspension and you bounce around like on a bucking bronco - even at slow speeds you feel every bump and after an hour it’s tiring. They are LOUD - an Army Tank makes less noise — nothing “stealthy” about them. For 95% of everything I do - an ATV or Side x Side is the Best but for wet, thick swampy, marshy areas - ARGO or Go Home (or Walk/Swim it yourself). I wish there really was a Do-it-All vehicle but for open terrain, woods, fields, logging roads - ATV or side x side and for Deep Snow a “Snowmobile”, open water = a Boat. I guess an Argo gets you into more places then an ATV so if you can only have One vehicle of off road maybe “Argo” but they are damn uncomfortable compared to Side x Side or ATV…also Loud, bumpy, slow,
I’ve already got a side by side and am having trouble getting acrossed bogs to where I’m on a shared camp lease. The Argo I’m looking at is a 6x6 model

I agree fully on the Argos are slooowwww compared to 4-wheeler type vehicles and more noise. Hard pack, rocks, and exposed roots they give the body a beating at slow speed. But, in the Muskeg it is like the rabbit and tortoise. I usually take a coffee break every hour or two.

This past year's moose hunt. Not successful as to killing. But, had a great time, even though it was an extremely Rainy time. And that is considering it is usually always Wet there. Winters have been tough on the local moose.
There is adventure in the effort, adventure in the Location and remoteness - it looks like a lot of work and expense getting all that equipment but you sure seem to “Do it Right”!!!

I have had Max IV, Mudd-Ox, this Argo, and 4-wheelers. I like this 8 wheel Argo the best.
My Max was great. I had the big tires and the little one with tracks. But, for hauling and hill stability, I like the 8 wheel Argo with tracks.

I have a Max 4, not an Argo. I purchased it with the idea of a complete rebuild. 6x6, problem with most is we run 2-4 lbs of air pressure in the tires. Mine has the optional 25 inch tires, so no tracks unless I run the smaller wheels, which I may do.Key issue is there is no suspension, I am going to add small shock absorbers to the seat frames during the rebuild. Should smooth out the ride. There is a good website for all machines in the 6x6 world. Good luck.
FLYING SAILOR, would be interested in how “adding shock absorbers” works out - also your definition of “smooth”? I’ve never thought of “Smooth” and an Argo in the same sentence. I’m thinking any springs or shocks under you seats will “launch you airborn” first bump you hit…..but I have No mechanical skills and it sounds like a good idea - can’t hurt.

I was just about to write something about Benelli Argo (semi auto rifle), then I caught up with other threads. Obviously its not about rifle.

They are great machines truly! If used, please check the running gear. Look at chains, check for stretch, look at sprockets to see if they are hooked or shouldered. Look at tire treads. Check oil for cleanliness/water . Pull a spark plug and check for fouling due to oil. A lot of people dont take care of their machinery. if you have motorcycle experience you have a good understanding, if not take an old school biker with you. These are expensive to fix. Look at tire prices also, times 8! Not trying to put you off, just look closely and know what you can repair and what has to go out.

I’ve already got a side by side and am having trouble getting acrossed bogs to where I’m on a shared camp lease. The Argo I’m looking at is a 6x6 model
We did find a very big difference in the 6x6 vs. the 8x8 — the 8 was much more capable —- also cost a lot more.

They are great machines truly! If used, please check the running gear. Look at chains, check for stretch, look at sprockets to see if they are hooked or shouldered. Look at tire treads. Check oil for cleanliness/water . Pull a spark plug and check for fouling due to oil. A lot of people dont take care of their machinery. if you have motorcycle experience you have a good understanding, if not take an old school biker with you. These are expensive to fix. Look at tire prices also, times 8! Not trying to put you off, just look closely and know what you can repair and what has to go out.
I grew up keeping antique farm machinery running and have a good buddy who raced vintage motorcycles I’ll take with me, thanks for the advice

On the website former owners complain about the bump. I think they are talking about motorcycle shocks. I am just an old gear head, was a serial motorcycle buyer. Being a toolmaker gives me an edge on repairs. The website is - 6x6world.com. Not much activity now, older site, lots of info here. have to wait till spring to get full blown build on my 6 wheeler as I have a lot of machine work to finish. But hey, pays for hardware and trips , right?

Sometime back I saw a number of videos about the Russian "Tinger" ATV. It looked like an ideal vehicle for that sort of terrain. Designed as a tracked ATV not a wheeled ATV with tracks fitted. Sadly, I've never seen one in real life, and given they are Russian, unlikely to be seen any time soon. Having once had a Niva, I would have doubts about quality control, but not ruggedness. Also I have questions bout the longevity of the plastic bodywork in anything like Australian UV conditions, however it should be fine for Europe or North America.

Be great to hear from anyone with first hand experience of those vehicles. Likewise it'd be great if a Western or Asian manufacturer with the concept.

Although its no comparison, I found a side by side UTV with Camso or Mattco tracks to be remarkably good, although they run $6000-$7000 for the tracks. I was able to use my UTV with tracks to pull my truck 100 yards over 30" of snow when I got stuck.

No, my UTV doesn't float. No, I can't take it into a bog like an Argo, but it does have the tractor benefits for food plots and agriculture/forestry uses that an Argo doesn't have.

One of each would be ideal, but for those needing more capability than a typical UTV, I recommend looking into tracks for your UTV.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foxat90708

Latest profile posts

John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia