Anyone ever imported a Hilux or LC Bakkie to the States?

Field28

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Just wondering if anyone has done so? How did it go?
Any way to get around the Chicken Tax without waiting the 25 years?
Any resources over there?

Thanks!!!

I’ve not done it personally but have looked into it. If you need someone in Africa that’s knowledgeable, let me know.

I can give you a tip on the US side.

Museums are able to import vehicles than the general public.
You may have to go thru Canada.

On the “Africa” side watch out. More scams on vehicle import/ export side than legit. Stolen Hiluxs/Cruisers are everywhere.

Let me know if you need more info.

Lon

Another trick is to import into Mexico and license it in Mexico. No problem driving it into the USA with Mexican plates.

I can give you a tip on the US side.

Museums are able to import vehicles than the general public.
You may have to go thru Canada.

On the “Africa” side watch out. More scams on vehicle import/ export side than legit. Stolen Hiluxs/Cruisers are everywhere.

Let me know if you need more info.

Lon

Believe even if imported by a museum they aren't allowed to be used on the road...only for display etc

I dislike the payload capacity... Equal to or Under 1 Ton / 2,200 Lbs... It's bugger all.
lc79 payload.png

Hah, Wesheltonj has figured it out! Many a Texas ranch with a new Hilux and Mexican plates!

If you're into HiLux you might be better off going the South American route. Corruption exists there but likely a little less than Africa. They are also left-side drive vs. the right-side drive which takes one hurdle out of the way. I did not see any LC's when I was there. Tons of HiLux diesels though.

Another trick is to import into Mexico and license it in Mexico. No problem driving it into the USA with Mexican plates.
This is the route I am taking on a lefty M79 , my buddy rusty has the connections and my importer Jose G will handle the paperwork

If you decide, to bring one or more the Hilux is a totally different vehicle from the two different models of LC’s. Computer motor remember who ever has to do engine repairs must have software for that exact model.

Now to Land Cruiser #1 with 1 Hz 6cyl diesel. No computer basic mechanic skills needed to maintain
Oil & filters must be changed every 5000 kilometers. 2 fuel, 1 oil, 1 air. Expensive, but we can live with it.
The engine was made for african fuel and conditions. Lousy factory suspension recommend changing to ARB, but expensive. Removable roof on pre 1990 79 series. Smaller cab than new 79 series. Right hand drive for the most part.

Land Cruiser # 2 V8 diesel, computer engine. Here in Zim most steer away from the V8 for the following reasons. Cost, fuel (more available now) Computer, sensor, wiring, computer fails you are screwed. Computer model specific.
In many cases this model is considered to low geared, it cries for a 6 speed trans. Many owners either go to the higher geared diffs or transmissions ratio changes.

Cruiser #2 is great for airport to hunting camp. If you are in a hunting area with rough terrain the 1HZ is the best way to go.

Any part that has Toyota is expensive. Many parts between RSA LC’s do not fit the Japanese LC’s. I once found out to my regret. LC’s from South of the border “were” built to a much lower standard and their parts again were different.

I forgot about the Australian models. Watch out for rust, again parts are different.

I have owned around 20 LC’s from 1981 to 2022. Maintain them, use them properly one fantastic vehicle.

The best LC ever made was the 84, with disc brakes, power steering diesel.

Lon

Believe even if imported by a museum they aren't allowed to be used on the road...only for display etc
Around 1990 I “bought” a 70 series thru a museum. I was in the states about 5 yrs ago. Never any problem licensing, as long as it was over 25 yrs old.

Lon

Around 1990 I “bought” a 70 series thru a museum. I was in the states about 5 yrs ago. Never any problem licensing, as long as it was over 25 yrs old.

Lon

OK was talking about the newer ones....watched a video on a landcruiser museum in the USA, and I think from memory they had imported some later ones but could only use for display purposes...watched it bit ago so could be wrong

If you decide, to bring one or more the Hilux is a totally different vehicle from the two different models of LC’s. Computer motor remember who ever has to do engine repairs must have software for that exact model.

Now to Land Cruiser #1 with 1 Hz 6cyl diesel. No computer basic mechanic skills needed to maintain
Oil & filters must be changed every 5000 kilometers. 2 fuel, 1 oil, 1 air. Expensive, but we can live with it.
The engine was made for african fuel and conditions. Lousy factory suspension recommend changing to ARB, but expensive. Removable roof on pre 1990 79 series. Smaller cab than new 79 series. Right hand drive for the most part.

Land Cruiser # 2 V8 diesel, computer engine. Here in Zim most steer away from the V8 for the following reasons. Cost, fuel (more available now) Computer, sensor, wiring, computer fails you are screwed. Computer model specific.
In many cases this model is considered to low geared, it cries for a 6 speed trans. Many owners either go to the higher geared diffs or transmissions ratio changes.

Cruiser #2 is great for airport to hunting camp. If you are in a hunting area with rough terrain the 1HZ is the best way to go.

Any part that has Toyota is expensive. Many parts between RSA LC’s do not fit the Japanese LC’s. I once found out to my regret. LC’s from South of the border “were” built to a much lower standard and their parts again were different.

I forgot about the Australian models. Watch out for rust, again parts are different.

I have owned around 20 LC’s from 1981 to 2022. Maintain them, use them properly one fantastic vehicle.

The best LC ever made was the 84, with disc brakes, power steering diesel.

Lon

I have dobinson suspension kit on mine...its very good...and yup 1hz for the bush is great....overtaking just need to plan ahead :E Big Grin:

I have dobinson suspension kit on mine...its very good...and yup 1hz for the bush is great....overtaking just need to plan ahead :E Big Grin:
A few items I believe the musuem you are referring to.

On power “ my cruiser” 2001 has the 1HDT engine, much better power and no computer.

There are several aftermarket turbo companies. There is one made in either the states or Oz. It is water cooled. I have never used one, but I did have one air cooled I.C. installed. I put about 50,000 Ks on it . I sold it after a couple of years use. I made $2,000.00. The person who bought it from me built Safari camps for someone else he kept it for about 2 years, charged his boss $50.00 a day. Then he sold it for $2,000 more than he paid.

The name of the turbo company might be AXT.

The museum is in the salt lake area.

Lon

Your big problem will be meet the US EPA emission standards.

All of them in Aus are diesel, in fact nearly EVERY ute in Aus is now diesel..... except for the RAM.
From what I've heard from local mechanics, they hate diesels, getting more complicated by the year and more fragile too... I was actually recommended a RAM truck instead of an LC70 because the RAM is petrol and apparently built on a truck engine that is just "Easy Dumb" to fix and repair, certainly given me food for though...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BettyeWood

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's
ghay wrote on professor's profile.
Hello,
Would you consider selling just the Barnes 235's and 250g TTSX's?
Hunt27 wrote on Tra3's profile.
Spain, i booked through a consultant, i book almost everything through him now and he's done me right. his contact 724 986 7206 if interested and he will have more info to share,
I hunted elephant with Luke Samaris in 2005. It was my fourth safari and I tell you he is a fine gentleman the best. I got the opportunity to meet Patty Curtis, although never hunted with him but enjoyed our conversation around our tent in the Selous. Very sad for a tough guy to leave this world the way he did. Let’s pray the murderers are caught. I hope to see Luke in Nashville.