Anyone ever had trophies lost during the import process?

My crate went MIA for a few weeks after it had arrived in Seattle. It apparently was shipped to Montana by mistake and had to be trucked back to Seattle before barging it up to Anchorage, Alaska.

The error was identified within a week but took a couple additional weeks and a few emails and a phone call to Coppersmith to get the crate back to Seattle. All in all, I am glad the crate finally made to its final destination albeit a few weeks later than expected.

My crate went MIA for a few weeks after it had arrived in Seattle. It apparently was shipped to Montana by mistake and had to be trucked back to Seattle before barging it up to Anchorage, Alaska.

The error was identified within a week but took a couple additional weeks and a few emails and a phone call to Coppersmith to get the crate back to Seattle. All in all, I am glad the crate finally made to its final destination albeit a few weeks later than expected.

I am glad you were able to get your crate. I have not enjoyed this experience and it has left a nasty taste in my mouth. Hopefully mine is located too.

Massive warehouses, customs holds, etc.. I am sure your trophies are in the warehouse, as mine were, they have just been misplaced. Make some noise and threaten legal action. Insist on full compensation for the cost of the hunt, travel, taxidermy, shipping, etc.. someone just needs to get of their arse and do a proper search.
stateside is the only place I have had things stolen! Vid camera foolishly placed in Checked luggage--made it to Detroit, where there was a smiley sticker place just about where it was stored inside.Collusion between Xray personnel and accomplice down the line? I think so.
All the way across Africa and through customs only to be jacked in Detroit!

I see a ton of damaged mounts from Africa. Problem is all the shippers pass the buck . No body will say who did it. That way no one pays.
I know a gal that's dip pack made it to the truck company here in Idaho. That night at the truck hub someone broke in, cracked the crate open stole her waterbuck horns impala and blesbok. Truck company would only pay average price for replacement. $ 250.00. So I told them that the prices she paid for the animals in Africa were cut and dried. They tried to claim she got her hunt and that animals aren't guaranteed. We Informed them that day fees are the price of the hunt and when an animal is taken the animal is paid for separately. Therefore like buying a cow. It is what it is. They ended up paying the price she paid in Africa for each animal minus the price of the capes as they weren't stolen.
This is just one reason I wont do a package hunt in Africa also.
I brought a sjambok back from SA--I'll give it to you if you will use it on the shipper...

I see a ton of damaged mounts from Africa. Problem is all the shippers pass the buck . No body will say who did it. That way no one pays.
I know a gal that's dip pack made it to the truck company here in Idaho. That night at the truck hub someone broke in, cracked the crate open stole her waterbuck horns impala and blesbok. Truck company would only pay average price for replacement. $ 250.00. So I told them that the prices she paid for the animals in Africa were cut and dried. They tried to claim she got her hunt and that animals aren't guaranteed. We Informed them that day fees are the price of the hunt and when an animal is taken the animal is paid for separately. Therefore like buying a cow. It is what it is. They ended up paying the price she paid in Africa for each animal minus the price of the capes as they weren't stolen.
This is just one reason I wont do a package hunt in Africa also.

When you say they paid the price of the animals minus the capes do you mean she was reimbursed for eh day fees, animals and dip and pack?

When you say they paid the price of the animals minus the capes do you mean she was reimbursed for eh day fees, animals and dip and pack?
No just the price of the animal only. She paid 2400.00 for the waterbuck they took 300 off for the cape. No shipping or dip pak was paid for.

I lost a shipment many years ago. Kudu, Caracal and some plains game skins. It made it to New Orleans and evaporated.

Unfortunately investigation went nowhere. Insured by something like Honest John’s Insurance company which tied things up for a year and then paid something minimal to make me go away. Live and learn.

All of these stories about no joy from insurance companies is making me re-think insurance on my next shipment. Sounds like you may not even get the cost of the policy in reimbursement, save the money and hope for the best.

I just got an email that my crate has been found! I am over the moon. I had 4 gold medal animals and a kudu over 54 inches in there! My Trophies are on the way to Top Of Texas Taxidermy! I had already spoke to an attorney and the shipping company had already started a claim process. Glad that my trophies from my first trip to Africa have been found!!

Last edited:
I just got an email that my crate has been found! I am over the moon. I had 4 gold medal animals and a kudu over 54 inches in there! My Trophies are on the way to Top Of Texas Taxidermy! I had already spoke to an attorney and the shipping company had already started a claim process. Glad that my trophies from my first trip to Africa have been found!!
Good news in deed.

Great news!

That’s super news and I’m sure it’s a great relief to you! Congratulations

Did anyone give you any explanation of why or where your crate was?

My crate had two forklift holes midway up the side. Obviously intentional since an experienced operator would never be that far off the mark. Miraculously, nothing damaged. Shipping was through New York so I'm guessing that's where the damage was done.

My crate had two forklift holes midway up the side. Obviously intentional since an experienced operator would never be that far off the mark. Miraculously, nothing damaged. Shipping was through New York so I'm guessing that's where the damage was done.
I am glad nothing was damaged!

Great news, what a nightmare!

Not yet. I was only informed that it had been found and was on the way to Texas now. I will try and sort through the rest and figure it out
Ask if they see a mule deer laying around anywhere... ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alloroprivatedining

Latest profile posts

HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!

Hyde Hunter wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
which East Cape Taxidermist are you referring to? I had Lauriston do my work not real happy with them. oh thanks for the advise on the mount hangers a few months ago. Jim
jimbo1972 wrote on Bwaybuilder's profile.
Great to do business with