Anyone else practicing with .22 trainers?

Image1702590667.356793.jpg

This is my Anchutz 54.18 MS. It is a 5 shot repeater version of their Olympic target rifle in a stock designed for offhand shooting. It still has the enlarged muzzle with dovetail for attaching a target front sight. It is Open Class for Rimfire Silhouette.

I have been tempted by 22 kit for my R8, and a suppressor.
Is is a smart purchase. I have a suppressor on mine. I shoot right next to the kitchen door. Nobody is bothered by the shooting. The sound of the metal swing target makes more noise than the rifle.

The .22 kit really helps with muscle memory on the same exact rifle platform. Since it is just a barrel, bolt face and magazine insert, it fits in a small pelican case rather than bringing another whole rifle.

The great benefit is being able to practice not just shooting. Mounting a rifle on the sticks quickly and then adjusting position is a learned process that must be practiced at home. My kids and I get good practice with the sticks and .22 in the yard.

Yes, I use my Rem 541 T, topped with a Leupold VX Freedom 3-9x40 CDS scope.

It's lighter than my hunting rifles, but the LOP is the same.

Every time we go to the range at 22 comes along.
The range I go to charges separately for rifle, shotgun, pistol, AND .22!! So a complete additional charge just to shoot .22....grrr. But the .22 can get away with just several acres without detection.

I hunt Squirrels in the fall using marlin 22 or 32 caliber muzzle loader. Good eating also. Best deer hunting practice you can get. I also hunt wood chucks in the summer with my deer rifles.

I have a suppressed lefty T1x mainly for practice off of sticks. The lack of noise and recoil definitely makes things easier. I'm also just finishing off a .223 bolt gun that's as similar to my .300WM as I could make it to allow for longer range practice and a more similar feel without the recoil/ammo cost of the .300.

The .22 goes to the range almost every trip and I shoot at least 50 rounds off the sticks (actually a tripod with a yoke, but close enough). I've definitely noticed significant improvement. I'm not quite there yet, but getting closer. So far I've been shooting a 3" spinner at 50 yards with the .22 and hit it 8 or 9 out of 10 shots. My goal is to be able to go 10 for 10 at 100 on the same size target. Not sure if that's a realistic goal with tripod shooting sticks, but I'm trying. I'm also trying to be fairly quick about it, breaking the shot within a couple seconds of the rifle hitting the sticks.

I'm also trying to be fairly quick about it, breaking the shot within a couple seconds of the rifle hitting the sticks.

I also tend to focus on doing that, and getting off the the sticks quickly and smoothly for a second shot.

I recently picked up a pair of 22LR inserts for my 9.3x74R DR. It has become my favorite 22 to shoot with. Surprisingly accurate, at least at 25-30 yards, and even shoots close to the irons at that distance. Very real practice for use of the double off sticks and offhand. Only thing that would be better is another set so I could practice reloading as well!
My son just picked up a CZ457 combo. Very nice setup with 22LR and 17HMR barrels. I've only had a chance to run a handful through the 22, but it appears the hype about CZs accuracy is, well, accurate. Might have to get one for myself.

I recently picked up a pair of 22LR inserts for my 9.3x74R DR.
Nice - what are the details for the inserts, they sound interesting.

Excellent idea.

Nice - what are the details for the inserts, they sound interesting.
Lothar Walther Gewehr-Einstecklauf adapters to fire 22LR cartridges in a 9.3x74R
1703012804039.jpeg

I picked them up from another member here on AH. Haven't had time to go looking for a source to get another pair, or see what other calibers might be available.
If you like to burn through 22 ammo, these are not the ticket, lol. But it really is fun to be able to plink with my Chapuis at a fraction of the cost, even compared with reloading.

Thanks @Woodcarver

What sort of accuracy do you get?

Thanks @Woodcarver

What sort of accuracy do you get?
Well, not sure I'd call it minute of squirrel, but at 28 yards, offhand, everything stayed inside an 8" bull, pulling the 2nd shot as quickly as I could after the 1st. At 50 yards, again offhand, I rang my little steel buffalo most of the time, it's about 10" wide and 8" tall. This was slow fire. One of these days I'll probably see how tight I can keep it, and see how accurate each is individually. So far all I've been doing is working on rapid target acquisition and smooth trigger work. Pinging steel gives instant feedback and is way more fun than punching little holes in paper.

Used to shoot my Anschütz 54 a lot for Training offhand and rabbit hunting.

With up to 300 rabbits per year it fed the famuly quite well.

Does a 22 Hornet count too?
Have a Hornet Barrel in one of my Shotgun barrels of my drilling and mostly use it.

Still thinking about a copy of my driven hunt rifle in 22lr for easy of use and off season training.
And the wife would enjoy that too

The biggest problem with the 15-22 for me is weight. The factory rifle is so light you can swing it onto a target as quick as possible and still stop on a dime. Adding a heavier stock(EMod) and a piece of black iron pipe under the handguard helped immensely.

Some time ago I picked up a CZ 457 Jaguar to practice my offhand and off sticks shooting. I have definitely seen a marked improvement in my proficiency. It’s common knowledge that practice with these little guys helps, but I’m still impressed with the results.

That fact that it tips the scale at over 8lbs makes it feel like a real rifle which I really like.

View attachment 574547View attachment 574548
@Shako Badhan
I have a BRUNO No2 that I have just fitted a new scope to that I intend to practice with. I should be a real hoot.
The scope is a HAWKE Vantage 3 to 9x40 sub sonic rimfire scope for subsonic 22lr at 1050fps.This scope has multiple hash marks graduated to 200 yards. You sight it in to be spot on at 50 yards on 9 power. The hash marks are the marked 75,100, 125, 150 and 200 yards.
It should prove interesting shooting 200 yard gongs with it. Learning to judge the wind will be a learning curve.
What I like about it is its cheap to feed. 50 rounds of 22lr subs is less than 5 handmade Whelen ammo. So a lot more fun for less dollars.
If you want to know what the scope is like there's a good video on you tube about it. The hawke scopes come suited for 22 subsonic, 22lr, 22mag and 17 HMR. The video on the 22 mag shows a person shooting gongs at 200 and 300 yards.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DarrylNade

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?