Anybody have experience with E-bikes for hunting/fishing?

Garrett89

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Looking for an E bike for use around south Florida to make getting from one fishing hole to another more convenient. Open to suggestions on any brand. Not too worried about price as long as it's very good quality but not looking to break the bank either. I guess I'm around the 5k range. Thanks!

I bought this and I love it. Happy to answer any questions.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-10-02 at 6.54.44 AM Large.jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-10-02 at 6.54.44 AM Large.jpeg
    181.2 KB · Views: 46
I bought this and I love it. Happy to answer any questions.

Daisy, cool looking bike - how long/far can you run on single charge? The Company “Volcon” seemed to have potential 2 years ago but looks like they have some problems now — stock price dropped from $16.50 in 2021 down to .50 cents now ! (and just a penny stock for the past year!). They claim to have some interest from the U.S. Army but only contracted for 5 vehicles. Too bad because their product looks good. Will they still be in business next year? Hope so because they appear innovative and trying to make a quality product.

Daisy, cool looking bike - how long/far can you run on single charge? The Company “Volcon” seemed to have potential 2 years ago but looks like they have some problems now — stock price dropped from $16.50 in 2021 down to .50 cents now ! (and just a penny stock for the past year!). They claim to have some interest from the U.S. Army but only contracted for 5 vehicles. Too bad because their product looks good. Will they still be in business next year? Hope so because they appear innovative and trying to make a quality product.
That is a great question. I find that the first company to market often is not the one that lasts. They have to take all the punches.

With one battery, you get 35 miles. You can buy a second battery that also stores in the bike and get 70. That’s pretty much running full speed though. I pretty much ran mine all hunting season last year on one charge. There are only about five working parts on the bike. An electric battery, a chain, and the brakes. Even if the company went out of business, there really is not much to break.

The only sound you hear is the turning of the chain. I use it to go to my beer stands. I have not written it might since last season, and the battery still has 75% charge just sitting in my garage all summer. It will go about 40 miles an hour, but I can’t imagine why you would want to go that fast. Going about 20 is enough for me. These are basically an electric version of a Rocon. If you don’t want to go electric, those are great options too.

They came out about $8000, but they quickly drop to less than 5000. I was out the door for less than that. If you call around and find a dealership, you could probably beat that price. I found a place in Oregon for like $4200, but I would’ve had to pay for shipping.

Buy these for a dealership, so you would still get some service from them. The only maintenance recommended for the bike is the keep the chain lubricated.

Last edited:
That is a great question. I find that the first company to market often is not the one that lasts. They have to take all the punches.

With one battery, you get 35 miles. You can buy a second battery that also stores in the bike and get 70. That’s pretty much running full speed though. I pretty much ran mine all hunting season last year on one charge. There are only about five working parts on the bike. An electric battery, a chain, and the brakes. Even if the company went out of business, there really is not much to break.

The only sound you hear is the turning of the chain. I use it to go to my beer stands. I have not written it might since last season, and the battery still has 75% charge just sitting in my garage all summer. It will go about 40 miles an hour, but I can’t imagine why you would want to go that fast. Going about 20 is enough for me. These are basically an electric version of a Rocon. If you don’t want to go electric, those are great options too.

They came out about $8000, but they quickly drop to less than 5000. I was out the door for less than that. If you call around and find a dealership, you could probably beat that price. I found a place in Oregon for like $4200, but I would’ve had to pay for shipping.

Buy these for a dealership, so you would still get some service from them. The only maintenance recommended for the bike is the keep the chain lubricated.
Thanks for those details - 35-70 miles is impressive and more then enough for any hunt that starts and ends near your home. I usually prefer to walk into my stands and rarely mind a 1/2 mile or more hike in....especially on my own property....but when it’s hot/sweaty or heavy rain - a “quiet ride” half way in would be nice. While I would be ok with a 2 wheel bike - prefer a 4 wheel ATV type Electric vehicle as it would have more uses for me. It seems that the Volvo company is in trouble and although they “launched” with much fanfare - they seem to have no operating capital, can’t afford to maintain an inventory, and stock price is horrible (flat at .40 to .50 cents all year). Other early manufactures like Bad Boy Buggy seem established but I’ve seen several in “Camp” and they are very heavy (1800 lbs) require a charge nightly (hunters ran out of battery 2x one week) so they have No appeal to me.

Thanks for those details - 35-70 miles is impressive and more than enough for any hunt that starts and ends near your home. I usually prefer to walk into my stands and rarely mind a 1/2 mile or more hike in....especially on my own property....but when it’s hot/sweaty or heavy rain - a “quiet ride” half way in would be nice. While I would be ok with a 2 wheel bike - prefer a 4 wheel ATV type Electric vehicle as it would have more uses for me. It seems that the Volvo company is in trouble and although they “launched” with much fanfare - they seem to have no operating capital, can’t afford to maintain an inventory, and stock price is horrible (flat at .40 to .50 cents all year). Other early manufactures like Bad Boy Buggy seem established but I’ve seen several in “Camp” and they are very heavy (1800 lbs) require a charge nightly (hunters ran out of battery 2x one week) so they have No appeal to me.
Agee with all. It’s a “small” investment overall. I know people that use an e bicycle but most are woefully underpowered and cost the same as my Volcon. It’s not a toy, it’s a real machine on par with an atv or utv.

Polaris is coming out with a new electric utv, but they start over 40k. That is just crazy.

Thanks for those details - 35-70 miles is impressive and more then enough for any hunt that starts and ends near your home. I usually prefer to walk into my stands and rarely mind a 1/2 mile or more hike in....especially on my own property....but when it’s hot/sweaty or heavy rain - a “quiet ride” half way in would be nice. While I would be ok with a 2 wheel bike - prefer a 4 wheel ATV type Electric vehicle as it would have more uses for me. It seems that the Volvo company is in trouble and although they “launched” with much fanfare - they seem to have no operating capital, can’t afford to maintain an inventory, and stock price is horrible (flat at .40 to .50 cents all year). Other early manufactures like Bad Boy Buggy seem established but I’ve seen several in “Camp” and they are very heavy (1800 lbs) require a charge nightly (hunters ran out of battery 2x one week) so they have No appeal to I live to w
I love to walk my property too. That said, grant woods says always ride your utv or such to the stand. He says walking is much more spooky to deer, they think predator. Most deer are used to cars and utv. Also they hide your smell better. Is that true, who knows. I pee our back of my stand and kill deer. Ha

I bought a Rambo ebike about 4 years ago. It definitely is a game changer to how I hunt. It lets me get further in, in less time, and it's definitely quieter. Another benefit is I'm not all sweaty when I get to my stand. It also is great once I have something down. I invested in a pull behind trailer and it has made life sooo much easier when it comes to recovering game and hauling it out.

I get about 25 miles of range over rough terrain.

One word of caution though, my battery died this year and replacements are ridiculously expensive and hard to find. I had to go back to Rambo and it cost $700 and is on backorder. I tried an aftermarket battery that was cheaper but it didn't fit. Anyway, somthing to be aware of.

Overall, I'm glad I made the investment.

Those all look great. Definitely leaning towards something I could easily throw in the back of the truck without any ramps, lift, etc. I've been looking hard at Rambo

At one stage I was considering the concepts. But a lot of issues to consider: eg do you want something that can handle the weight and bulk of a carry out, do you just want an alternative to walking, cost of parts, cross country ability etc.
NZ firm Ubco make a product which is essentially an electric version of an ag bike. Low speed, mainly designed around off road use (although road registerable versions. Your local regs will determine whether you need licence and registration. For me the biggest down side was the cost of a spare battery.
The ADF were trialing an ebike by Sun Ron. Basicaly like an electric trail bike. A bit to high a gearing, for my likes. I was also aghast at the thought that it was a Chinese product. Not a good option for defence equipment due to unknown electronics and the possibility of tracking spyware etc.
At the everyday end of things are the glorified pushbikes fitted with an electric motor. These range in quality from useless to very good. Not much carrying capacity, but basic transport.

I have a Back Country Ebikes Mule. Love it. Have the cart that attaches to the rear axle and it has been great. Pulling a deer out with it has been a godsend. Gets me to places I normally would not go due to distance. It has also given me extra time to hunt as what would normally take me an hour to walk back to takes about 10-15 minutes. Have been able to catch some extra zzz's in the morning..lol

I rented one this year to see if I liked them and now determined to buy one. I only used it to get into and out of my hunting areas from my camp. My truck sat for three days and I used the bike all over the place. It is quiet and as mentioned earlier saves a bunch of time! Plus saves thr wear and tear on vehicles (side by sides, four wheelers trucks) and aging joints.
I would sit until dark then hike down to the bike. The usual one hour walk out became 15 minutes on a single wide dirt trail. It saved me a lot. I did not pack or drag with it. Battery life was great and had good power for moderately steep and rocky hills.
Forest service ranger said they are trying to control where the bikes can and cannot go but where I was he just wished me a good day. I think some areas they are a problem due to high numbers of people and regular mtn bikes and hikers etc.
there are many males and models-find the one that suits your hunting and enjoy!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PriscillaL

Latest profile posts

TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]
Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa