Any personal experience with hunting big mule deer in Mexico or Canada?

SWAYING OFF TOPIC A BIT BUT STILL SHOULD BE OF INTEREST, DESERT SAFARIS IN WEST TX HUNTS FREE RANGE AND THEY HAVE A SPECIALIZED MULE DEER FEED PROGRAM THAT PRODUCES SOME NICE BUCKS.
Yes go hunt with Stephen West

They also have MX connections for big mule deer

Good guys - it’s high rack hunting from truck.

Go during the rut. BIG mexico mule deer with real hunters who are passionate

I took a monster aoudad with Stephen West a few years ago. I’m going to post a hunt report and video of the shot on this forum.

I took a monster aoudad with Stephen West a few years ago. I’m going to post a hunt report and video of the shot on this forum.
Oh awesome! Than you already know!

Did you hunt in the Chinatis Mt’s for your aoudad?

I would reach out to Stephen about a ranch hunt in Mexico for big muley

I’ve deer hunted Alberta 9 times between 2005 to 2018. 5 trips were for mule deer and 4 for whitetails. I can say that on a 6 day hunt I would see at least one mule deer buck over 180. Now I didn’t always get an opportunity on one that big, but they are there. But I did get a few nice ones. On my experience the Alberta deer aren’t quite as wide but have more mass. All 5 of my mule deer also had eye guards.

I have never been to Mexico so I can’t really speak to that but as far as hunting in Canada it’s relatively hassle free, minus 2021 post Covid craziness year. Getting your rifle in and out is not an issue. The people I’ve met up there are wonderful. As a son of the south, the weather can be a bit of a challenge for me but with proper gear you can hunt comfortably in really cold weather. View attachment 634487View attachment 634489View attachment 634490
I just love that top right buck with the narrow rack with the mass and character!
I’d rather shoot him than a wide Mexican mulie any day.
Being from Saskatchewan I admit that I’m biased but to me our (and Alberta’s) bucks look so much better with their tall, heavy racks and bodies that make them look like angus bulls! Plus it just feels right hunting them in the snow.
All that being said there’s something pretty cool about hunting the in desert and big cactus too.
I’ve been fortunate to have gotten some really nice bucks but don’t know what they would score. I think(?) some might be close to 180 but I don’t know if they’d quite make it.

Reactions: WAB
Mexico for sure! Sonora has some really good muley hunting
There is also a lot of overlooked muley areas between the Rio grande and Sonora in the eastern mountains of Mexico just a short drive from Texas
Canada isn’t on my radar because they are strict about their visa laws if you have a alcohol offense ( which I do because of a bad decision one night) and it’s a crapshoot
Booking a trip without hiring a lawyer

Oh awesome! Than you already know!

Did you hunt in the Chinatis Mt’s for your aoudad?

I would reach out to Stephen about a ranch hunt in Mexico for big muley
Sort of…we were on a ranch on the border that was 45 miles past the end of the road. You could see old Mexico. I’ve lost touch with Stephen. If you have his info, PM me?

Ask me next year. I have a combo muile/whitetail hunt set up for November 2025 in Alberta.

Years ago, when I finally had the means to do more than just open resident hunts, I met with a hunt booking agent. He asked what I wanted to try. Immediately I said, "big mulies". He said yeah, you and everyone else. Now, realistically, what do you want to do?

.... and that's how I started hunting Africa.

I took this W. TX mule deer a few years ago. You notice the old ear tag on it. The rancher had never seen this deer before. We called the number on the tag and it was TX Fish and Game. They had done a tagging survey a number of years before about 20 miles away and never knew what happened to this deer. I looked it up online and found a photo of them tagging a deer one number different from this tag from that same project. Pretty good deer for W. TX but nothing like the giants in Mexico or Canada.

View attachment 634569

View attachment 634570
That would be a great first mule deer for me!!!

Mexico mule deer is on my wish list but it coincides with the whitetail rut in northern Mexico along the border. 43 years hunting down there and I still can't get enough of it.
Anyone does an Alberta whitetail hunt this fall, please make a report.

While I haven’t hunted Alberta yet, I plan to in the next 2-3 years. I am hunting Carmen mountain whitetail in old Mexico in Jan. I will be writing a hunt report on the little Carmini that might be our least well known whitetail species…along with Colombian whitetail.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JeannieCol

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?
Trogon wrote on Mac Baren's profile.
@Mac Baren, I live central to city of Cincinnati. I have work travel early this week but could hopefully meet later this week (with no schedule changes). What area of town are you working/staying in?
Kind regards
Ron
Read more at the link about our 40000 acre free range kudu area we will also be posting a deal on the deals page soon!
Our predator control is going very well
Looking for brass or reloads for 475noz2 Jefferies ammo. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Charles