Any personal experience with hunting big mule deer in Mexico or Canada?

This is my best and it’s nothing like the three posted previously
Image1726485277.132655.jpg

Here's another question for the experienced mule deer hunters among us...which country has the better success rate for non-resident hunters on big mule deer...and by big, let's say 180 plus...Canada or Mexico? I have my own thoughts on this but it's based more upon research than personal experience in those 2 countries. If someone wants to be more specific, let's narrow it down to the general areas of Hermosillo and Alberta. I would love to hear what others think.

Here's another question for the experienced mule deer hunters among us...which country has the better success rate for non-resident hunters on big mule deer...and by big, let's say 180 plus...Canada or Mexico? I have my own thoughts on this but it's based more upon research than personal experience in those 2 countries. If someone wants to be more specific, let's narrow it down to the general areas of Hermosillo and Alberta. I would love to hear what others think.
I had the same questions and investigated the success rates, opportunity, rates, Etc back before I took my first out of country mule deer trip. I found after my multiple inquiries, discussions and research that Mexico was the best opportunity for me and that is the direction I went. I have zero experience to offer in Alberta but it was on my to do list. I would still entertain a velvet hunt in Alberta but as a priority on my hunts to do list it has fallen down the list since I have been to Mexico. I’m sure both Mexico and Alberta can be great places to hunt. Allot also depends on the outfitter in either country you choose. It’s fair chase hunting with either and both have big mule deer!

I did not score them, I just attached pic with my post.
Fair chase, no fences.
@Mnovak - those are GREAT Mule deer bucks and anyone that needs a “score” to know that might be:
1). born after 1980
2). Been reading too many hunting magazines.
My Mule deer hunting trips to Wyoming & Montana never even saw (or heard of) Mule deer bucks that good. Congratulations !
Now, about hunting in Mexico - I avoided that Country for years when my friends went down and had spectacular Duck Hunts, they literally shot hundreds of ducks during 3 day hunts, but it was not worth the safety risk to me. Finally, 6 years ago - I went on a Mexican duck hunt and it was good but not spectacular as the bird numbers were way down. We flew into Texas, guide picked us up and drove us across the border and several hundred miles down to his lodge, a very safe and uneventful trip. Then, after the hunt ended, he drove us back to Texas and again a very safe uneventful drive….Until we were 10 miles from U.S. border, stopped at a red light - car cuts in front of us and another blocks us from behind, guy jumps out and points AK 47 at driver and orders all to “get out”….steals the truck. No one hurt and the culprits were caught minutes later and truck recovered undamaged (a phone call to On Star was able to shut off the engine). Not worth the safety issue for me to go back to Mexico for ducks. ——— BUT for a Mule Deer like YOURs = YES

I have been to Sonora one time and was not impressed by the accommodations of staying in a farm house with no electricity. I would like to find an outfitter with a good reputation in Alberta to hunt both Giant Whitetails and Mule deer for the same price as hunting in Mexico. In Alberta they speak English, good accommodations and you are not getting ripped off by the locals or scammed by the military officials entering or leaving the country. You don't have a problem with the Cartels because they own all the ranches and they do not wish to scare the American hunters away.
Just my 2 cents.,

@Mnovak - those are GREAT Mule deer bucks and anyone that needs a “score” to know that might be:
1). born after 1980
2). Been reading too many hunting magazines.
My Mule deer hunting trips to Wyoming & Montana never even saw (or heard of) Mule deer bucks that good. Congratulations !
Now, about hunting in Mexico - I avoided that Country for years when my friends went down and had spectacular Duck Hunts, they literally shot hundreds of ducks during 3 day hunts, but it was not worth the safety risk to me. Finally, 6 years ago - I went on a Mexican duck hunt and it was good but not spectacular as the bird numbers were way down. We flew into Texas, guide picked us up and drove us across the border and several hundred miles down to his lodge, a very safe and uneventful trip. Then, after the hunt ended, he drove us back to Texas and again a very safe uneventful drive….Until we were 10 miles from U.S. border, stopped at a red light - car cuts in front of us and another blocks us from behind, guy jumps out and points AK 47 at driver and orders all to “get out”….steals the truck. No one hurt and the culprits were caught minutes later and truck recovered undamaged (a phone call to On Star was able to shut off the engine). Not worth the safety issue for me to go back to Mexico for ducks. ——— BUT for a Mule Deer like YOURs = YES
Thank you!

I did also consider the safety factor with each trip. You hear all the bad stories, Cartel and Mexican issues, but I never experienced any bad experiences during my 3 trips there. I was a little concerned on my first trip and after that I had no concerns. I did stay alert and aware of my surroundings during travel in the cities etc. I was told that the outfitter I used had allot of clout and that certain unsavory people or organizations knew to not mess with him or his outfitting business. I didn’t ask any questions about that statement and I never had a bad experience. Obviously whenever traveling into another country there are always things that need to be considered, safety being the utmost important. I would say anyone traveling to Mexico should do their research and use a well known reputable outfitter.

I have a saying that I use from time to time that I came up with after multiple years of hunting.
“Not every outfitter is a crook but every crook has been an outfitter.” LOL
obviously this is poking fun, but there are allot of fly by night outfitters operating around the world. Network and use the hunting community for guidance. Such as we do here on AH, allot of good information here.

I have an article called Consistently 180 by Mike Ukrainetz, which is very interesting on this topic. I can't seem to find that article online right now but if anyone wants it, hit me on the PM with your email. Mike is an outfitter in Alberta who has written on the subject. He acknowledges he might be biased but offers good thoughts on Alberta vs Mexico for big mule deer. One of his comments is that the width seems to be better in Mexico but Alberta has better mass on average.

I killed a nice mule deer in Alberta, 27 inches wide but with incredible mass. Scores somewhere around 180.

It was more than 20 years ago and that outfitter is retired. It was the Parkland area near Provost,Alberta.

Can you share a photo of it? Sounds like a great deer. One thing I like about Alberta is the chocolate color of the antlers.

Thank you!

I did also consider the safety factor with each trip. You hear all the bad stories, Cartel and Mexican issues, but I never experienced any bad experiences during my 3 trips there. I was a little concerned on my first trip and after that I had no concerns. I did stay alert and aware of my surroundings during travel in the cities etc. I was told that the outfitter I used had allot of clout and that certain unsavory people or organizations knew to not mess with him or his outfitting business. I didn’t ask any questions about that statement and I never had a bad experience. Obviously whenever traveling into another country there are always things that need to be considered, safety being the utmost important. I would say anyone traveling to Mexico should do their research and use a well known reputable outfitter.

I have a saying that I use from time to time that I came up with after multiple years of hunting.
“Not every outfitter is a crook but every crook has been an outfitter.” LOL
obviously this is poking fun, but there are allot of fly by night outfitters operating around the world. Network and use the hunting community for guidance. Such as we do here on AH, allot of good information here.
@Mnovak: The is little to No risk while you are actually Hunting in Mexico or at the Outfitters lodge. The “risk” is when you are driving and within 10-20 miles of the US border - and Car Jackings usually take place near the US border….that’s where the $money$ is. All the Mexican Outfitters (and even US booking Agents) say hunting in Mexico is safe. Both our Outfitter & US Booking Agent told us Mexico is “safe” - and continued to advertise “its safe” after we returned and they were aware of the Car Jacking incident (our Guide was driving the Car Jacked truck!). The odds of an incident in Mexico are Low but they are much higher then in the US or Canada…Hunting in Mexico is only “safe” compared to hunting in Somalia….But for a Big Mule Deer Buck == worth it

Image1726498099.932999.jpg

I’ve taken some Mule Deer that I’m proud of. Probably the hardest species to hunt if you’re looking for 200” plus size animals. The smallest of these is 186 but is 31 inches wide.

HH

Very nice and that's a beautiful layout! Did you hunt Canada and/or Mexico for those?

I’ve deer hunted Alberta 9 times between 2005 to 2018. 5 trips were for mule deer and 4 for whitetails. I can say that on a 6 day hunt I would see at least one mule deer buck over 180. Now I didn’t always get an opportunity on one that big, but they are there. But I did get a few nice ones. On my experience the Alberta deer aren’t quite as wide but have more mass. All 5 of my mule deer also had eye guards.

I have never been to Mexico so I can’t really speak to that but as far as hunting in Canada it’s relatively hassle free, minus 2021 post Covid craziness year. Getting your rifle in and out is not an issue. The people I’ve met up there are wonderful. As a son of the south, the weather can be a bit of a challenge for me but with proper gear you can hunt comfortably in really cold weather.
IMG_6162.jpeg
IMG_1126.jpeg
IMG_1131.jpeg

Fatback, any photos of your Canada whitetails? A question for you...having hunted deer in Canada that many times...when you took a deer, how long was that window open? 5 seconds...10 seconds? Any kind of average on that? I saw where an outfitter was saying you have to be able to shoot in 5 seconds to have a good chance at taking big deer in Canada. I wonder about the truth of that statement.

Most of the time we were able to take our time and get set up for a good shot. There are lots of brushy areas as well that the shot opportunities can be quick, especially if you’re hunting a cut line or something like that. Obviously if they are chasing does then there is no telling on how quickly you might have to shoot. I will say that with the whitetails it can be more sitting a stand than spot and stalk with mule deer being more the norm. Shots can be a bit far at times though. I would recommend being comfortable out to 400 yards or so. Here are some whitetails from up there.
IMG_1127.jpeg
IMG_1128.jpeg
IMG_1133.jpeg
IMG_1132.jpeg
IMG_1134.jpeg
IMG_1135.jpeg

I have a Mulie hunt in West Texas in January and the pics in this post have done nothing to calm my expectations down…

I took this W. TX mule deer a few years ago. You notice the old ear tag on it. The rancher had never seen this deer before. We called the number on the tag and it was TX Fish and Game. They had done a tagging survey a number of years before about 20 miles away and never knew what happened to this deer. I looked it up online and found a photo of them tagging a deer one number different from this tag from that same project. Pretty good deer for W. TX but nothing like the giants in Mexico or Canada.

IMG_1464.jpg

IMG_9120.JPG

SWAYING OFF TOPIC A BIT BUT STILL SHOULD BE OF INTEREST, DESERT SAFARIS IN WEST TX HUNTS FREE RANGE AND THEY HAVE A SPECIALIZED MULE DEER FEED PROGRAM THAT PRODUCES SOME NICE BUCKS.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forestryguy

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?
Trogon wrote on Mac Baren's profile.
@Mac Baren, I live central to city of Cincinnati. I have work travel early this week but could hopefully meet later this week (with no schedule changes). What area of town are you working/staying in?
Kind regards
Ron
Read more at the link about our 40000 acre free range kudu area we will also be posting a deal on the deals page soon!
Our predator control is going very well
Looking for brass or reloads for 475noz2 Jefferies ammo. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Charles