Any personal experience with hunting big mule deer in Mexico or Canada?

Green Chile

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
DSC, NRA, GSCO
Hunted
Saskatchewan, South Africa, Zimbabwe, 30 US states and counting
I'm researching hunts for big mule deer in Mexico and Canada. Any personal experience here in chasing them in either area? Very different styles of hunting north or south of the US. Feel free to PM or post here.

Green Chile,
I am looking for any excellent references in Alberta,Canada by someone who has gone recently . I would love the chance to go this year in November for a combination Muley & Whitetail.

I'm researching hunts for big mule deer in Mexico and Canada. Any personal experience here in chasing them in either area? Very different styles of hunting north or south of the US. Feel free to PM or post here.
I have experience in Sonora Mexico and can put you in touch with a reputable outfitter if you’re interested. I’ve been three times and had an excellent experience and hunt each time. I would book the first part of January during the rut.
IMG_2431.jpeg

Last edited:
What did your 3 Mule deer score in Sonora?
Definitely January for the rut.
Was it open or high fence?

Yes I would like to get that info if you will PM me. I'm booked this next Jan to hunt Carmen whitetail in Mexico.

What did your 3 Mule deer score in Sonora?
Definitely January for the rut.
Was it open or high fence?
I did not score them, I just attached pic with my post.
Fair chase, no fences.

I don't know about Alberta but it seems difficult for Sask residents to draw muley tags. At least where I have hunted.

Thanks for the PM. I saw some big bucks in SK but muleys are only available to residents unlike Alberta. They do offer whitetails to non-residents in SK. I will check that out sometime and I'm going back to SK in the spring for more black bear.

Mnovak can you also send me his website info

Green Chile,
I am looking for any excellent references in Alberta,Canada by someone who has gone recently . I would love the chance to go this year in November for a combination Muley & Whitetail.

I’m doing a whitetail hunt in Alberta this November with Carter Outfitting and can give a report on how it goes. They also do a combo whitetail and mule deer hunt as well. Check out their website for some pics of mule deer they take. They hunt about an hour west of Edmonton

I took a 218 Mule deer in Hermosilla area in Mexico and the outfitter was seriously upset I did not hold out for 235 or better.
Contact Greg Brownlee at Neal & Brownlee for the contact and cost.

It is a private 125,000 acre hunting reserve, low fence, with Desert sheep and Cous deer.

Great place but pricy.

Whatever you do, STAY AWAY from Mexican Outfitter Francisco Valenzuela of Hermosillo. DO NOT book with this criminal. I’m one of 19 hunters (that I know of) who lost our deposits to him last year.

We, a group of 4 hunted with him 2 seasons ago on Tiburon Island and we had a good hunt, killing 3 bucks for 4 hunters. No Giants but nice deer and a great experience on Tiburon. So, we booked with him on the mainland for last year as a group of 7 hunters. I’m also aware of 12 other hunters who booked with him for a total of 19 hunters and over $100.000 in paid deposits. He ripped off every one of us and not a single hunter recovered a penny. I and other hunters made extensive efforts to recover at least a portion of our deposits but nobody recovered a dime.

I’d love to hunt Tiburon Island again someday, but I will go with Outfitter Dereck Lopez who actually controls most of the Tiburon Island deer and sheep permits. He’s a reputable outfitter. Other outfitter’s I’d hunt Mexico with include Drummond Lindsey, Thomas Baker and a few other Mexican Outfitters but I will never have anything to do with Francisco Valenzuela ever again unless it involves getting him prosecuted.

Thanks for the info so far. Reached out to Mexican operator and also Neal & Brownlee.

Do you mind sharing the photo of your 218? 200 inch mule deer are awesome and to my eye are better looking than big whitetails.

Thanks for the warning. Lots of operators around Hermosillo. Anywhere there is $ there can be shady operators.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Blaser375

Latest profile posts

Read more at the link about our 40000 acre free range kudu area we will also be posting a deal on the deals page soon!
Our predator control is going very well
Looking for brass or reloads for 475noz2 Jefferies ammo. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Charles