Any Experience with .400/360 Westley Richards?

Tom Leoni

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Member of
NRA (Life), True Green Alliance
Hunted
USA, Finland, Canada, Africa, Greenland
Hello,

I've been flirting with the idea of buying a Westley Richards single shot chambered for the .400/360--proved for 41gr cordite and 314gr max bullet. I wanted to know if anyone here has any experience with this cartridge--specifically the Westley Richards variety. I've read conflicting reports about the groove diameter (some say .358," some say .360," some say .366") and I'm trying to figure out whether this rifle would end up being a money-pit and an eternal project or if I could take it on my next safari without much trouble.

Of course, I handload and finding the components (except for the bullets, depending on appropriate diameter) is not too much of a problem.

Anyway, any help, info, or trivia regarding the .400/360 WR would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, I saw that thread--I was looking for more information if it's available.

I say go for it. If the groove diameter falls within the ones you mentioned, I'm pretty sure .358 bullets can be made to work without too much trouble or expense.

@degoins - I'm seriously considering it... Just waiting on the seller to tell me what the groove diameter is. I want to make sure that I can get jacketed bullets for it. :)

The seller just contacted me. While he confessed that he was more a shotgun guy and not too used to slugging bores, he tentatively measured the groove diameter at .364." Also, he said that the grooves are fairly dark (pitted). Hmmmm....

The seller just contacted me. While he confessed that he was more a shotgun guy and not too used to slugging bores, he tentatively measured the groove diameter at .364." Also, he said that the grooves are fairly dark (pitted). Hmmmm....
Yikes!!! I'd bow out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RVWClevela

Latest profile posts

EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on MarcoPani's profile.
Happy Birthday, from Grahamstown, South Africa.
I hope your day is great!
Cheers
Marius
EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on Ilkay Taskin's profile.
Happy Birthday from Grahamstown, South Africa! I hope you have a great day!
Cheers, Marius
idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]