Any 41 magnum shooters?

IMG_6619.jpeg
IMG_6618.jpeg
IMG_6620.jpeg

The ring in the nose of the bullets was put there by the top punch on the lubri-sizer. I’m going to try to break the sharp edge with some fine grit sandpaper.

I casted my very first batch of bullets ever last night and loaded some tonight. The mold is an RCBS 41-210 SWC. I think I had my melter too hot, I’ll play with that next time.
I loaded them over a mild charge of BE-86, I’m hoping for about 1000 FPS. Later I’ll work up a load with 4227 for magnum use.
Hopefully this weekend I’ll see how they do!
@Wyatt Smith did you melt/cast pure soft lead or was there an antimony in it to add some hardness?

I just recently became a S&W junkie myself. I have acquired 7 over the past few months, all 38 or 357. Wanting to add a 22 wmr, 44 mag, 45 colt, 22 rem jet, and a 22 j frame.

My first was the 4” 686 pre lock with aftermarket wood grips. Worse than drugs…

Pictures or it never happened. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

The .41 Mag is a great cartridge. Too bad it never really took off as it fills the gap between the .357 and .44 magnums nicely. I have several including a Ruger Blackhawk, a Redhawk (total beast of a DA revolver), and a few Model 57’s.

As I got older, I wanted a milder load for target practice so I started loading .41 Specials. It’s basically .41 Magnum trimmed to the same length as . 38 Special and .44 Special. You can trim .41 Magnum brass or Starline makes .41 Special brass (it’s currently in stock). Great plinking round.

I tried my cast bullet loads. 8.5 grains of BE-86 gave me 1100 FPS with a nice 357 like recoil and minimal boom and blast. Accuracy was about 2.5” at twenty paces, and the cases just fall out of the cylinder. I’m sure the shooter didn’t do the load justice.
I tried IMR 4227 working up to 19 grains to get 1225 with less accuracy and more noise. I can’t imagine I’ll ever be wanting for the extra 125 FPS anyway.
I had some barrel leading, but it seemed to level out after ten or twelve rounds. I’ll just have to keep an eye on it.
This may become my favorite handgun.

Thank you,
Gunshop owner's book didn't show a premium over other calibers and wanted me to list it on consignment at 650. Pretty sure it's worth at least double that. It does have the stupid crossbolt safety though, it's from the early 90s I think.
Try about 3 times that number. The last one I saw was over $1800. Remember they didn’t make them for long and they are very hard to find.

The .41 Mag is a great cartridge. Too bad it never really took off as it fills the gap between the .357 and .44 magnums nicely. I have several including a Ruger Blackhawk, a Redhawk (total beast of a DA revolver), and a few Model 57’s.

As I got older, I wanted a milder load for target practice so I started loading .41 Specials. It’s basically .41 Magnum trimmed to the same length as . 38 Special and .44 Special. You can trim .41 Magnum brass or Starline makes .41 Special brass (it’s currently in stock). Great plinking round.
@Kynadog - I guess the .41mag is like the 16 ga and both are great “Inbetweens” but never got popular. Early advertisements for the 16 ga stated “carries like a 20ga but hits like a 12ga”….close to true but few people cared.

My apologies for the late reply. Here are my three S&W. A model 29 from the early 80s, a Mountain Gun in 44 Mag, and a 686 357 Mag.

Mod-29.jpg

Mountain.jpg

686.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sable Sunset Safaris

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?