Any 41 magnum shooters?

The 58 looks like a big model 10. It has a four inch barrel and fixed sights. I don’t know about the finish as I’ve only seen one and didn’t get to handle it. The 28 is just about the same thing as a 27, without the top checkering and high polished finish. It was called the “Highway Patrolmen”

I have a 58 that I carry as an edc.
Also carried it in Alaska for bear protection. I found the .41 to be very versatile. You can load it mild to wild. I only switched to the 10mm because of the capacity but don’t feel undergunned with the last magnum of Elmer Keith’s.

I have a 58 that I carry as an edc.
Also carried it in Alaska for bear protection. I found the .41 to be very versatile. You can load it mild to wild. I only switched to the 10mm because of the capacity but don’t feel undergunned with the last magnum of Elmer Keith’s.

The 58 is a fine, under appreciated piece.

Very under appreciated.
The friend that turned me on to the Model 58 shot three suspects in three different shootings with one.
@Neophyte who was your Friend - Wyatt Earp? Seriously, That’s some very rare “real life experience” and someone that has real credibility vs just another opinion…I would listen and pay attention to that Man.
From what I’ve read about the origin & history of the .41 mag and model 58 - it was close to a perfect handgun round for Police and had a balistic advantage over other common Police Revolvers used by Law Enforcement ( .38spl and .357). It’s downfall was that most Police Officers could Not handle it’s recoil and could Not shoot it accurately….similar to why the .40 S&W has more recently been dropped from some Law Enforcement agencies and they went back to 9mm.
I like fine revolvers in general - especially the .41 mag and the S&W models 57 & 58. I wish they were made in a slightly smaller frame as the “N” frame makes the gun heavy and if carrying it - might as well just go with the .44 mag, since you’ll be lugging around the same weight & bulk. (Recoil feels similar to me). I assume financially it would Not have made sense for S&W to develop an entirely New frame for the .41mag both because of the cost and the fact most shooters had trouble with the recoil on the heavier N frame already.

@Neophyte who was your Friend - Wyatt Earp? Seriously, That’s some very rare “real life experience” and someone that has real credibility vs just another opinion…I would listen and pay attention to that Man.
From what I’ve read about the origin & history of the .41 mag and model 58 - it was close to a perfect handgun round for Police and had a balistic advantage over other common Police Revolvers used by Law Enforcement ( .38spl and .357). It’s downfall was that most Police Officers could Not handle it’s recoil and could Not shoot it accurately….similar to why the .40 S&W has more recently been dropped from some Law Enforcement agencies and they went back to 9mm.
I like fine revolvers in general - especially the .41 mag and the S&W models 57 & 58. I wish they were made in a slightly smaller frame as the “N” frame makes the gun heavy and if carrying it - might as well just go with the .44 mag, since you’ll be lugging around the same weight & bulk. (Recoil feels similar to me). I assume financially it would Not have made sense for S&W to develop an entirely New frame for the .41mag both because of the cost and the fact most shooters had trouble with the recoil on the heavier N frame already.
Don’t forget they sold a lot of 357s on the N frame as well. I would assume the 41 was never meant to be a light gun.

Don’t forget they sold a lot of 357s on the N frame as well. I would assume the 41 was never meant to be a light gun.
@Wyatt Smith - yes and if the N frame was still not enough to “tame recoil” on the .41mag then a smaller frame would be even worse. At least with the .357 on an N frame they can drill the cylinder for 7-8 rounds…so you get something additional from the extra weight/bulk.

I had a S&W 57 8 3/8”, years ago. Like an idiot, I got rid of it. I now have a Ruger Blackhawk. 210gr Hornady XTP = dead deer

No, his name is not Wyatt.
I will only say he has been involved in more justified shootings than most. He was local before he went federal and turned me on to the 10mm and 357 Sig as well.
He taught me a lot when I was working federal law enforcement.

A lot of the problem with the .41 Magnum was the ammo.
They came out, initially, with two 210 grain SWC loads. One for hunting and the other for police duty. Pencil pushers ordered the ammo and some of them ordered the hunting ammunition as they didn’t know any better.
I carry Winchester Silvertips which is a downloaded .41 Magnum load. I like its recoil impulse, felt recoil, over the 125 Grain .357 Magnum “full house” load. I think if they had today’s ammo, Winchester Silvertip, when the .41 Magnum came out it would’ve been better received.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwbybill

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's
ghay wrote on professor's profile.
Hello,
Would you consider selling just the Barnes 235's and 250g TTSX's?
Hunt27 wrote on Tra3's profile.
Spain, i booked through a consultant, i book almost everything through him now and he's done me right. his contact 724 986 7206 if interested and he will have more info to share,
I hunted elephant with Luke Samaris in 2005. It was my fourth safari and I tell you he is a fine gentleman the best. I got the opportunity to meet Patty Curtis, although never hunted with him but enjoyed our conversation around our tent in the Selous. Very sad for a tough guy to leave this world the way he did. Let’s pray the murderers are caught. I hope to see Luke in Nashville.