Any .350 Rem Mag Fans?

.350 Rem Mag

I briefly had a Rem Classic, but preferred the Ruger Mark II... Laminate is a good way to go for a working rifle if you just can't abide Synthetic, very tough. The bottom rifle is my factory .350 Rem Mag, the top rifle was a .350 Rem Mag that I rebarrelled to 6.5 Rem Mag.
A pair of beautiful rifles in short mag cartridges, before the short mag was invented . I have a 350 Rem mag Ruger 77 MK11 in a plastic stock
& have lusted over a 6.5 Rem Mag but have never found one for sale i am a 6.5 fan . I have 2 6.5x55s
a 260 Rem, 6.5 CM & a 6.5 Grendel may buy a HOWA 1500 in 6.5 PRC. this year.

I was going to say the 375 or 416 Ruger with round nose bullets should do fine and then point out that I have not hunted Black Bear, have not even been close to a country they live in and so defer to people that do hunt them.

But a 30-06, come on that is just a passing fad :ROFLMAO:

Those would certainly do it, but you just have to decide if you want the bear dead or REALLY DEAD! Personally I prefer, just dead. With bears, the important part is placing the bullet right, using an expanding bullet that carries enough energy to penetrate, which anything from 7X57, .308, .30/06 range will do, 180 grain to 200 grain bullets are great, I love .35's with 200-250 Cup & Core SP's and RN's. Also good are big bores shooting big chunks of lead at slower speeds... like the .45-70 and .450 Marlin with 350-400 grain cast or jacketed at 1800 - 2000 fps. These types of set-ups are ideal, plenty of "kill" with less "damage." In these parts we eat bears (better than moose IMO), and most clients want the hide, no sense in tearing that all up. Unless you just gotta, of course. Lol.

A pair of beautiful rifles in short mag cartridges, before the short mag was invented . I have a 350 Rem mag Ruger 77 MK11 in a plastic stock
& have lusted over a 6.5 Rem Mag but have never found one for sale i am a 6.5 fan . I have 2 6.5x55s

I built that 6.5 RM using a second .350 RM donor... it is a good way to go to get into that cartridge. It is a very accurate rifle, and carries good energy out to 500 yards.

Thanks for the education(y)

As an old timer said to me when I was a kid, The day you stop learning is the day you should just roll over and die.

Re the 6.5 I know of a couple of blokes over here with the 6.5 SSSS = Super Secret Squirrel Shit. Fancy term for a 6.5 based on the SAUM case.

A little off topic, but I think I’m gonna go on a NC black bear hunt this year. Would you use a 338 lapua with 225gr ER raptor or a 375 Ruger with 275gr safari raptor/300gr Maximus?
Unless you’re doing it to get some field work in before a dangerous game hunt, your favorite deer rifle should be fine for NC black bear. Take the ‘06.

Thanks for the education(y)

As an old timer said to me when I was a kid, The day you stop learning is the day you should just roll over and die.

Re the 6.5 I know of a couple of blokes over here with the 6.5 SSSS = Super Secret Squirrel Shit. Fancy term for a 6.5 based on the SAUM case.

I really like the SAUM case... and the RSM case too... they have just the right capacity for NA game with good bullets... you can certainly get more, but you don't need more... but who am I kidding gun-nuts always want more. Lol.

Unless you’re doing it to get some field work in before a dangerous game hunt, your favorite deer rifle should be fine for NC black bear. Take the ‘06.
Fave deer rifle is my 338 lapua followed by my 6.5 prc.

Those would certainly do it, but you just have to decide if you want the bear dead or REALLY DEAD! Personally I prefer, just dead. With bears, the important part is placing the bullet right, using an expanding bullet that carries enough energy to penetrate, which anything from 7X57, .308, .30/06 range will do, 180 grain to 200 grain bullets are great, I love .35's with 200-250 Cup & Core SP's and RN's. Also good are big bores shooting big chunks of lead at slower speeds... like the .45-70 and .450 Marlin with 350-400 grain cast or jacketed at 1800 - 2000 fps. These types of set-ups are ideal, plenty of "kill" with less "damage." In these parts we eat bears (better than moose IMO), and most clients want the hide, no sense in tearing that all up. Unless you just gotta, of course. Lol.
See. A raptor bullet should cause massive internal damage with minimal pelt damage. And I can’t say that I’m gonna eat the bear! But not against trying it.

With all this talk of bear hunting, I just went out to the freezer and pulled out a package of Spicy Honey Garlic bear sausage and threw it in the oven for supper.

See. A raptor bullet should cause massive internal damage with minimal pelt damage. And I can’t say that I’m gonna eat the bear! But not against trying it.

Have you done that, at that speed? Cuz that ain't my experience... your hide is going to be bloody froth bubbles from neck to anus... not fun to flesh out.

Have you done that, at that speed? Cuz that ain't my experience... your hide is going to be bloody froth bubbles from neck to anus... not fun to flesh out.
I’ve shot lots of animals with it. The fragments break off and don’t generally exit the other side. The shank travels through and exits like a solid. About as small as hide damage as you can get.

But….ive never shot a bear. I respect your experience and definitely hear you.

Your point for meat hunting is dead on. It would decimate the meat.

With all this talk of bear hunting, I just went out to the freezer and pulled out a package of Spicy Honey Garlic bear sausage and threw it in the oven for supper.
My wife made me bear burger made with bacon instead of fat yesterday and it was absolutely delicious. We love bear meat behind only venison. Bear meat is better than chicken and pork. Just wish we could harvest them more often.

My wife made me bear burger made with bacon instead of fat yesterday and it was absolutely delicious. We love bear meat behind only venison. Bear meat is better than chicken and pork. Just wish we could harvest them more often.
I feel for you... no shortage of bears up this way... I love bear meat... way more than venison.

Wow, love to see that there are so many like minded members out there. I have been a .35 nut for years. Have a 660 and a 573. Both have been to Africa and taken Eland and lots of smaller stuff as well. Pretty much stay with Swifts and Barnes hand loads. Never had any issues with anything not being DRT. I actually have 5 or 6 boxes of old Peters 250 gr. factory ammo still in original boxes. I on occasion will shoot something with one of them just for the sake of nostalgia. Still work like they did over 50 years ago.
My rifles have taken at least 10 Nilgai down in S.Texas and many Whitetail. Only disappointment is I haven’t killed a bear with the .35 and as memory serves is what Remington marketed the caliber as, a close range bear round. May try it out on a Buff on a future African trip.

I've taken many moose and bears with .35's, with both 200 & 225 SP's, and 225 & 250 Partitions... I like the 225's in .358 and the 250's in the Rem Mag and Whelen... currently shooting 225 Accubonds in the .358-375 Ruger. If you get the chance to go for bears, the .350 Rem Mag is a great choice.

I've taken many moose and bears with .35's, with both 200 & 225 SP's, and 225 & 250 Partitions... I like the 225's in .358 and the 250's in the Rem Mag and Whelen... currently shooting 225 Accubonds in the .358-375 Ruger. If you get the chance to go for bears, the .350 Rem Mag is a great choice.
You can always try the Woodleigh 275PP and 310 Roundnose in the 35 Whelen and certainly the 358-375 Ruger.

You can always try the Woodleigh 275PP and 310 Roundnose in the 35 Whelen and certainly the 358-375 Ruger.

The .358-375 Ruger was specifically built for shooting at longer distances with a good payload, the 225 Accubond accomplishes that handily, but if I were to consider using it at normal hunting ranges for larger game, I would definitely "up" the bullet... I have other cartridges that fill that role though.

I was going to say the 375 or 416 Ruger with round nose bullets should do fine and then point out that I have not hunted Black Bear, have not even been close to a country they live in and so defer to people that do hunt them.

But a 30-06, come on that is just a passing fad :ROFLMAO:
@Rule 303
That new fangled thirty ought size will never catch on mate.
Bob

@rdog
Easy fix mate get TSE engineering to spin you up an identical barrel in 6.5 and have a switch barrel
Bob

The .358-375 Ruger was specifically built for shooting at longer distances with a good payload, the 225 Accubond accomplishes that handily, but if I were to consider using it at normal hunting ranges for larger game, I would definitely "up" the bullet... I have other cartridges that fill that role though.

Same use as my 358-338RUM. When I took it to Africa I had some with the 225 Hydro and the 275 grain bullets in case we ran into anything nasty while after plains game. I had not worked up a load for the 310SNRN at that time. These might impact at above recommended velocity but the Woodlieg Weldcores still hang together when they do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PHPKenneth

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?
Trogon wrote on Mac Baren's profile.
@Mac Baren, I live central to city of Cincinnati. I have work travel early this week but could hopefully meet later this week (with no schedule changes). What area of town are you working/staying in?
Kind regards
Ron
Read more at the link about our 40000 acre free range kudu area we will also be posting a deal on the deals page soon!
Our predator control is going very well
Looking for brass or reloads for 475noz2 Jefferies ammo. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Charles