Antelope Guide Services

Ok, thanks jduckhunter! :). Kevin

If Babsie Bishop is still guiding, I enjoyed hunting pronghorn and grouse with him on Fort Belknap Montana a few years ago.
("Bishop's Guide Service" Malta Montana.)
Ft. Belknap is an Indian Reservation and they set their own seasons, tag system, Guide licensing standards, etc.
So, unless they have sold out, you just buy your tag there (don't have to hope to draw a tag).
At least it was so back a few years ago.
Babsie also guides other species but I was after pronghorn with my rifle and grouse with my shotgun.
I definitely will try to find him again if I ever want another pronghorn and grouse adventure.

Last edited:
I hunted with seven j outfitters in wyoming a few years back! really enjoyed thee trip!

OK here is the deal in Wyoming. All antelope licenses are by drawing. If your a non-resident you apply in Jan or Feb. About 10% of the total available licenses are awarded to those that are not residents of Wyoming. Some units have more licenses than applicants. Those are available for purchase on a first come first served basis after the drawing. This year about July 8. The resident draw is done after the non-resident draw.
Most areas that have licenses left after the draw are for units with limited access. Lots of private property. Getting harder to get access. Sometimes access is available by paying a "trespassing fee" which allows access to a private ranch. Sometimes the game and fish dept. has lists of farmers that will allow access. Often this fee is less than $200. Lots of the landowners, especially bigger properties, have leased to outfittors. The outfittors guide hunters for a fee on those ranches. They are normally the only ones allowed to hunt that property. Non-residents can hunt for free on public land that has public access. Please note it is illegal to cross private property to access public land without permission from the landowner. In my local area the antelope get hit hard on opening day and usually move to private property to avoid most of the hunters. Some of our units have enough antelope that you can buy 2 licenses for any (buck) antelope and 2 for doe/fawn. This allows a bit more hunting on a trip to Wy.
A bit to the SE of me near Newcastle there is a bit more public land with better access than in my immediate area. Not sure if there are any leftover licenses for that area, You could easily check on line. Be aware that some units have limited antelope habitat. They are a prairie animals and don't live in steep mtns and heavy timber. So you have to be sure there are animals where you intend to hunt.
We have lots of antelope in our area. Most of the land is private. I have access to a large ranch that has about 70-80,000 acres. The ranch manager has become a personal friend. He doesn't like antelope as they tear up fences. I would be interested in trading a hunt there if someone has one to offer. This ranch would have other hunters on it early in the season. Less later on. There are always antelope somewhere on the ranch. The ranch is half in 1 unit and half in another. IF we get a good snowstorm in Oct it will cause the antelope to herd up, usually on his ranch. Have seen several hundred in late Oct when we have snow.
In my part of Wy there are VERY few true trophy antelope. Lots of good mature animals that are representative. Other parts of the state grow some bigger ones. For a book buck look at New Mexico.
Hiring a guide or paying a trespass fee increases the odds of finding a animal. You can do it yourself with a little research. Best of luck. Bruce

I'm non resident and when I booked my hunt they acted like it was pretty easy to get my tag and I did get it. Maybe it was just according to the outfitters private leases???

Bruce, Wyoming has changed the application dates a bit for non residents. Since everything is done on line now you have until the end of May to apply.
Where about in area 23 do you hunt? I've been hunting in 23 for over 25 years, we've probably crossed paths some where along the line and didn't even know it. We're coming out again this year for the first two weeks in October, maybe we can meet up some where.

Hi Jduckhunter. Your right on the application dates. Fairly recent change. I think elf/moose/sheep are still early. Deer and antelope are now May. I usually hunt a private ranch off of the Black and Yellow rd which connects to hwy 50. Love to get together with you. Wife and I own Marshall jewelry in Gillette. Can often find me there. Not the first day of hunting season but just before. Welcome anytime. Bruce

We hunt on a ranch off of the Irigary Rd. east of Kaycee. We'll be around for the first 2 weeks of October, we're planning on hunting the first week and then taking a few days and poking around the countryside. We're taking a trip over to Kirby to check out the Wyoming Whiskey distillery, I hear they have free samples after you take the tour. Then back to the ranch for a few days to hang out with the owner and his family, I'll make it a point to go home through Gillette and check out your store. Do you have a website? I'll need an address and some directions.
Thanks, Jeff

Hi Jeff. sent you a PM. Bruce

Look up Bighorn Mountain outfitters, guy named Toby Johnson out of Sheridan Wyoming. Very fun hunt, and Toby is quietly one of the worlds most accomplished big game hunters, good
mule deer as well. Also Peter Dube, Bear Track Outfitters out of Buffalo WY
Hello! I know this thread is a bit old, but I'm looking around for a mulie-pronghorn combo to do with my son as a high school graduation present for him. This would be two years out, so there's time. Just returned from an unsuccessful mountain mulie hunt in Alberta (weather too hot, too many damn wolves, lost two days to bad weather, etc). That's hunting, I accept that. I enjoy the challenge of hunting in the mountains as opposed to a ranch, but want to maximize the boy's chances of success. Would you be willing to share some more about your experiences with this outfitter? You can PM me if you'd prefer. Many thanks!

You might take a look at SNS Outfitters: http://www.huntwyo.com/

I can't personally vouch for them, because I haven't hunted with them...........yet. I've been on the email list and get their reports. Interesting looking outfit. You can also go to the Wyoming Outfitter's Association website at http://www.wyoga.org/index.php . Take a look at their publication and it will give you some more ideas on outfitters. I've been buying moose and sheep preference points in Wyoming for several years and been researching various outfitters.

You might take a look at SNS Outfitters: http://www.huntwyo.com/

I can't personally vouch for them, because I haven't hunted with them...........yet. I've been on the email list and get their reports. Interesting looking outfit. You can also go to the Wyoming Outfitter's Association website at http://www.wyoga.org/index.php . Take a look at their publication and it will give you some more ideas on outfitters. I've been buying moose and sheep preference points in Wyoming for several years and been researching various outfitters.
Much obliged! I'll look into it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EmilSherwo

Latest profile posts

T/C wrote on Dewald's profile.
Hi Dewald,
I am looking for a copy of Wright's "Shooting the British Double Rifle" (3E).
Please PM me (T/C) if you still have one.
Thank you very much in advance!!!
I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg