Another "Where Would You Shoot This Buffalo?"

That presentation haunts me still, as I had a similar shot at a fantastic buffalo in the Selous last September and I blew it (some of you will remember the description in my hunt report).

It was late in the day, the sun was low and behind the buffalo, to the left of the buffalo. To top things off, my vision isn’t very good these days due to having cataracts. He came out of very thick grass into an opening at about 50 yards, broadside, and presented an easy shot. I was using my .416 Hoffman, shooting a 400 grain Bearclaw. Just before I shot, the buffalo turned from broadside to essentially the same angle as in the picture. I misinterpreted the angle as being more frontal than it actually was, and I ended up shooting the buffalo perhaps an inch or two to the right of the green dot.

The buffalo seemed to be hard hit and there was a lot of arterial blood. We followed the bull through thick grass till it was too dark and left him for the night. That was a long and quiet drive back to camp. The next day we tracked the buffalo for over 6 hours before finally having to accept that he was gone as he’d joined with 5 other bulls and they were well onto the neighboring concession in heavy cover when we turned back. Following a wounded buffalo for hours and several miles, often through thick grass, is mentally and physically draining.

That bull was 44-45” in our estimation, with deep curls and good length. It would have been my largest buffalo to date and Alan Vincent’s biggest of last season.

So, with all that preamble, if I had the same shot again, it’d be on the red dot and I’d have a 400 grain TSX chambered.

I know this situation very well, but you shouldn't give up too early and start the search again the next day. The vultures are sometimes very helpful.

This all has little to do with the cartridge and the bullet used. I have buffaloes that fell over with one shot with the cartridge 9,3x74R and others wounded with the cartridge 460 Weatherby Magnum that I would have to follow. Shot placement is important, but if something does not go well, the first using of big bores is a clear advantage when it comes to searching for and finding wounded big game.

Red, with telescopic sighted .375 Holland & Holland Magnum and 300Gr Barnes TSX.

Red with my 505 Gibbs

Reactions: GWB
Red

I'd aim for red but somehow pull the shot and shoot him in the balls!! :LOL:

I would aim in the red dot area, but the chance of hitting it on the blue or green is excellent!
I am sure we will pick him up within 100 meters on all 3 dots or in between the three dots.

I would aim in the red dot area, but the chance of hitting it on the blue or green is excellent!
I am sure we will pick him up within 100 meters on all 3 dots or in between the three dots.
Did I mention its a good buff...

I will get lead in the air asap!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magnum308

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

NYAMAZANA SAFARIS wrote on majorsafari's profile.
Trail cam image is of a cat we never took .. it’s not a great image but I can assure you it’s a very big cat . Other photo is of my client with his cat this year .

IMG_3426.jpeg
IMG_2910.jpeg
thokau wrote on Just a dude in BC's profile.
Hallo, ein Freund von mir lebt auf einer Farm in den Rocky Mountains.
Leider kam es dort in den letzten Wochen zu Bränden.
Hoffe es geht dir gut!?