Another "where would you shoot this Buffalo?"

FlowHamed18

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I found this picture online and I would be very interested in your opinion regarding the best shot placement.

So which spot would you choose?

buff_far.png

Any of them will work. Blue and red are on the bone and if you have the proper bullet and rifle are no problem.

With a bow or lighter rifle/bullet maybe I lean towards the green.

This quartering towards position with the front right leg in front is not ideal. One more step would open up the chest and move that shoulder back exposing a much more favorable shot.

My vote is to wait. If I were pressed, I'd want at least a .416 caliber and aim at the green.

Last edited:
Any of them will do
I would prefer red though

I’d go right on the middle of that triangle.

Cuz I like to be difficult, I suppose. :cool:

I would split the front leg gap and go green but at the height of the red dot...base of the neck is better than lower. Having said that, I might also see if he looks forward for a better broadside shot. All depends on what has been happening and the wind. If he's looking but we have the wind, I would wait a bit.

Red, with big hole

I like blue, or maybe blue/red. This was exactly the presentation of my first buff. Better have some horsepower and a good bullet though. .416 Rigby with 400 TSX did the trick. Shed 3 of 4 petals, but penetrated through the shoulder, both lungs, and to the far hide.

Red

Red should provide the largest margin of error.

Thank you all for your answers.

I would probably choose also the red option because personally I think that's the region with the best possible margin of error...

A .404 with a 400gr TSX should do the job, if I do mine...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OlenCorrie

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

3 Wake Ups and South Africa Bound!
SETH RINGER wrote on Altitude sickness's profile.
I'LL TAKE THE BOOKS IF THEY ARE NOT SOLD. NO ?? ASKED
Hififile324 wrote on Charliehorse's profile.
Hi Charles, thanks for your interest in the .375 Ammo, Components and dies. Feel free to call or text [redacted]. Email [redacted]
Kudu2025 wrote on stk's profile.
I will take that Sako .375 if it is still available