Another thread of trophy shipping costs..

Great information posted above. I just completed my Zimbabwe safari and only took pictures as the prices for dip, pack, and export have become prohibited. So much more rewarding on this hunt to take quality pictures and leave all the logistical headaches and costs behind.

Are they shipping crates by ship at all? Or are they all going air freight? Been waiting so long now, a couple more weeks won’t matter if it saves $500-$1,000

12,500 for shipping pedestal buffalo,
Kudu, gemsbok, duiker, sable, impala shoulder mounts and zebra tanned hide. Looks like they are staying where their at.
I'd ask for a quote from another shipper.... that is out of line with even the current inflated BS shipping prices.

Just got done handling a buddy’s shipment we received in May or June. He had 10 shoulder mounts including buffalo, kudu, sable pedestal, and others with a couple euro mounts. His crate was 5' wide, 4' tall, and 8' long. His shipping was $5,579.

I'd ask for a quote from another shipper.... that is out of line with even the current inflated BS shipping prices.

Just got done handling a buddy’s shipment we received in May or June. He had 10 shoulder mounts including buffalo, kudu, sable pedestal, and others with a couple euro mounts. His crate was 5' wide, 4' tall, and 8' long. His shipping was $5,579.
who handles the shipping and which airline brought it over here?

12,500 for shipping pedestal buffalo,
Kudu, gemsbok, duiker, sable, impala shoulder mounts and zebra tanned hide. Looks like they are staying where their at.
This is my big fear, to get a call saying everything is ready to ship and the cost is extremely high, like way higher than one would expect. Other than shipping and the hassle of it I find hunting outside the US a better value, as long as the shipping is reasonable for those of us that want are stuff back

I just got a quote for shipping my trophies from 2022. Two full blesbuck mounts, full caracal, serval, jackal, oribi, porcupine, zebra skull plus euros of most of the full mounts and flat skins. Crate is 8.1' x 5.2' x 5.8'. 873 lbs. $8723 plus fees for a $9700 total air freight via Turkish from SA to Atlanta.

because of shipping costs I have decided like a lot of other hunters to only take pictures and if the cost is reasonable to have a video done. besides I only have space for one small shoulder mount.

I just got a quote for shipping my trophies from 2022. Two full blesbuck mounts, full caracal, serval, jackal, oribi, porcupine, zebra skull plus euros of most of the full mounts and flat skins. Crate is 8.1' x 5.2' x 5.8'. 873 lbs. $8723 plus fees for a $9700 total air freight via Turkish from SA to Atlanta.
I would get some more estimates with different airlines and watch out if Turkish is like they are in Chicago 348.00 per day storage after 24 hours while waiting on Agriculture to clear it.

forgot to mention Badger handled the shipment and Turkish Airlines did the flight, anyone know of another airline that will fly any of the Big 5? Delta and United will not due to the anti hunters
Getting airlines to fly Cites and / or Big 5 trophies is a major obstacle now. Almost all have jumped aboard the virtue signalling bandwagon and refuse to ship. I believe Turkish Air may be about the last one standing.
I have trophies, including Cities and one Big 5 in Zim awaiting shipment to New Zealand. The agent there got airfreight booked to Australia which was later rejected due to the codeshare airline ( Air New Zealand ) refusing to accept for onward shipping to NZ.
Looking now at combining with a seafreight consignment from several hunts / African countires to ship to NZ.

Mine came out of Namibia in May on Ethiopian Air. That was my only option at that time. I had a leopard in that shipment

who was the airline since you had a buff? I only know of Turkish Airlines. thanks
I assume it's Turkish Airlines, but have not seen the final paperwork as yet. Only a "proforma" invoice from African Legacy Logistics. (Which I paid last week.)

good to know Lufthansa will fly big 5, I used Badger also don't know if I ever will again though they charged me 88 pounds more weight than Turkish said it weighted, I sure that was to collect more money from me

Just heard from Delta they will not ship any of big 5 United now doing same. Who does?

Just heard from Delta they will not ship any of big 5 United now doing same. Who does?
Turkish Airlines.

Mine (including a Cape Buffalo Euro mount) arrived at DFW Thursday night (7/19). I'm using Coppersmith and expected at least a heads up email on Friday, but not a word so far.

It's been that way since the Cecile the lion debacle a number of years ago.

Right now Turkish Airlines is about the only way.

I'd just find a great importer and just let them handle things.

5 shoulder mounts (waterbuck, gemsbuck, white blesbuck, black wildebeast, blue wildebeast)
4 euro mounts (red hartebeast, springbok, impala, blesbuck)
4 tanned flatskins

crate is 160x113x105 cm
actual weight 144 kgs

Airfreight quote South Africa to Dallas $3,689
Oceanfreight quote South Africa to Houston $1,847

I not sure but would ocean freight cost be much higher when you add in all the port charges for handling, storage etc so it might be that air would be the way to go. someone with experience with ocean freight might jump in. and air would be weeks faster if that matters.

I not sure but would ocean freight cost be much higher when you add in all the port charges for handling, storage etc so it might be that air would be the way to go. someone with experience with ocean freight might jump in. and air would be weeks faster if that matters.
25 days at sea from South Africa to Houston and that's if there is no weather in the Atlantic or Gulf.

Also using Bullseye Taxidermy in S.A. with African Legacy Logistics as the shipping agent. Smallish crate.

Destination: DFW Airport; using Coppersmith for the US Customs agent.
Dimensions: 109X100X69cm
Actual Weight: 72kgVol./Chargeable Weight: 125kg

Fully Processed Taxidermy: Three shoulder mounts: Impala, Warthog, Klipspringer, plus
a Cape Buffalo Euro Pedestal Skull Mount (for table top).

$2,078 for the Taxidermy.
$2,011 for the Air Freight, including crating, insurance, and multitudes of local fees.

I expect Coppersmith's fees will be $1 - 1.5K - before ground freight to Albuquerque (9+ hours).

Since both mine and @Doug3006 crates both have finished swine, it will be interesting to compare how smooth each goes, DFW Vs Chicago airports. (Go Texas!) :)

The final from Coppersmith / DFW was $2,013 and in line with what I was expecting. It apparently took about a week to get my crate from Turkish Airlines into the Coppersmith warehouse, but no storage fees were incurred. :)

The Coppersmith (HuntingTrophy dot com) total included $533 ground freight DFW to Albuquerque and $417 of USDA exam fees. I suppose having a finished warthog shoulder mount and/or a finished buffalo Euro are responsible for the USDA fees. For ground freight, the crate is (L) 43 x (W) 39 x (H) 28 inches weighing 158 lbs.

Not sure when it will arrive in ABQ - no bill of lading received as yet. Hopefully sometime this coming week.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RossAlcala

Latest profile posts

the best gear
  • Accurate Powders
  • Alliant Powder
  • Hodgdon Powder
  • RAMSHOT
  • Winchester Powders
  • Winchester
  • CCI
  • Federal
  • Remington
  • .458 Caliber
  • 10MM
  • 270 Caliber
  • 7MM
  • 8MM
  • 9MM
Redfishga1 wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I would be interested in the ruger if the other guy is not.
Bartbux wrote on franzfmdavis's profile.
Btw…this was Kuche….had a great time.
Sorry to see your troubles on pricing.

Happy to call you and talk about experience…I’m also a Minnesota guy.